Starting a Nano tank

tang master

Hello, I just sold my 55g reef aquarium I have had for 2 years because of a move and space issues at the new place. I love the hobby and dont want to stop so I am definately going to buy a nano tank, I just dont know wether or not to get a nanocube; Aquapod; or a Biocube. I have $300 to spend on the new tank so I will still have enough money to start it up. What do you think about it? Thanks for any help!

nissan577

I will go for the biocube. To me I think its way better. They have enough room in the back you can make a refugium in chamber 2. So I think the biocube is better. Also the lighting is amazing

silverdak

i LOVE my biocube.. best bang for your buck IMO... you can make your own refugium like said above.. filter in it is great and the lights a great too

nissan577

Originally Posted by Tang Master
http:///forum/post/2765615
How did you build the refugium? There must be alot more room in the chambers than I thought.
heres what i did.
the first one is from Spanko. he gave me the idea and it works great. the second pic is mine. on how my refugium looks like now

tang master

That is actually a really cool layout. I cant quite makeout what that egg looking thing at the bottom is though. What does is it?

silverdak

many people will tell you no you can't keep Anemones and there main reasons are: the tank is too small, which might be the case, but not always if you know what your looking for. and there second reasoning is because it doesn't have T5 HO or better lights. my lights are putting off 48W... that's about 3.23 watts per gallon, also the furthest possible distance for it to be from the lights will be under 12" after you add sand.
everyone will have a different answer, me personally will be getting a tube Anemone soon, without any worries about it getting too big or dieing due to the "lack" of lights.
as far as other corals and stuff goes, right now I have some mushrooms, Zoa's, trumpets, starry polyps devils hand, and a matrix... no issues with any of them, they all look great

nissan577

Originally Posted by Tang Master
http:///forum/post/2765628
That is actually a really cool layout. I cant quite makeout what that egg looking thing at the bottom is though. What does is it?
i change it. i put the worng pic. look at this one on top

tang master

How long have you maintained those corals. The anemone doesnt really sound like it would be a problem either, unless it is a condolactus, because they grow very large in short periods of time.

catfishcity

well for the nano cube, the lighting is the same as the biocube for starters, and i love the filtration in mine, also the filtration and lighting is NOT loud at all, dont now bout the biocube but i just happen to love my nano cube

flricordia

Only problem with any of those is that for $300 you are not going to get good lighting like MH or T5, a chiller, auto top-off and so on. If I had $300 to spend on a new set-up I would buy a 20 long, have it drilled for a 1" bulkhead, buy a 10gl for a sump, build or buy a cheap but quality stand, a couple koralin 2s, a T5 lighting unit, sump return pump like a Maxijet 1200 and you proibably already have a skimmer and an auto top-off DIY or float type. This you could do for $300 or less easy if you can DIY and research.
Or throw in another couple hundred and get a Finnex MH/T5 30M tank with built-in refugium and skimmer.