Starting a pico tank

snakeblitz33

I went to the lfs to look around and they have a Biocube 14 with corals, sand and rock in it with the light upgrade for $400. Even the stand comes with the setup. I think it's a pretty knock out deal...

On the other hand, that kind of setup takes away from any true customization, and it isn't a rimless tank... I could easily spend 400 on a similar sized tank and not be even as close to setup as what the one at the store is already...

I dunno what to do! lol

btw, I am getting a dulcimer and pretty soon a banjo as well. I'm excited.

snakeblitz33

The 14g bio cube at the store comes with a stand already. It's the whole thing for that price, including corals and a clownfish.
I wouldn't have to build anything,... On the other hand it's a pre-made stand.
I want to finish writing that saltwater book I started years ago now that I have time. I feel like a phony if I don't have a tank going while I write the book. Lol.

E

eric b 125

It is a good deal, but is that what you really want? You know how we tell people to get the best equipment they can afford right off the bat and not to rush things? In the spirit of that advice, may I suggest that you get the tank that you truly want. It might be a little more expensive and take more time to do the rimless pico, but IMO it would be way cooler, more unique, and (knowing you, haha) will provide more options for customization.
I remember saying that the BeanAnimal overflow was the best investment I made on my tank... I said the same thing when I bought VorTechs and LED's....I might say the same thing about my CaRx, too. What I've personally learned getting ready for this upgrade is that the best investment I've put towards my hobby is patience and diligence. It's unrealistic that I get everything at once since I have to move twice this summer, but picking up a few things here and there while not hurting my pockets is so lovely. I know that when I get around to setting up the tank in August or September, I'll be setting up the tank that I want. I've been collecting equipment for this upgrade for over a year now and just used it on my 125.
We've been in the hobby long enough to know what we want out of it and that (most) compromises don't satisfy us for very long. Just my $0.02, but unless that biocube is the dimensions you want, with the coral/rock/sand that you want, and equipment that you want then why get it?

E

eric b 125

What are the chances of getting the biocube and wishing you'd have went with the rimless?
What are the chances of getting the rimless and wishing you'd have gone with the biocube?

Therein lies the answer, methinks.

snakeblitz33

You have a good point, Eric.

I might just take the next year to put back a little money here and there for something much better. Take the rest of the year to save and to write... Now that I am not in school anymore, I have time to write and research on the side the correct way...

I guess I will keep this thread open for now and start a new thread after I have made more progress. No reason to rush something like this... like you said.

snakeblitz33

I jumped in with both feet today. I bought a 2.5g standard glass tank. Can't beat $15 new.
I also got a small flat heater, a small air pump, a glass top, a bubble wand, silicone airline tubing, gang valve, suction cups.
I'm putting it in a nice spot in the house and using my old par38 led light, but I will be putting it on a dimmer this time. I'll upgrade later.
I have rock and sand. I just need some bacteria and coral. :)))
I also have a surprise for the tank, and y'all too. But I want to do it before I discuss it.

snakeblitz33

Was it that obvious??
I have to get a small piece of glass and a little black silicone to finish it up. I got everything in the tank in place so I just have to set the glass and let it dry till Saturday.
Looks like I might have a tank by next week. :)
Think I should actually buy a few slivers of actual live rock? Lol

E

eric b 125

Within 4 pages you went from a bookshelf tank, to a pico aquariums, to a biocube, and then this. Haha. Good stuff man! Are you going to use a sump?

snakeblitz33

You sound a bit disappointed Eric, lol.
I just saw it on the shelf and decided to take a leap. I'm getting it siliconed up this evening, switching out the led bulbs and trying to figure out how to light the screen from the back without it being disruptive.
I still have a few old pieces of equipment that I will be using.
Trust me though, it's going to look good. I'm not going to rely on my own RO unit anymore,...

E

eric b 125

Disappointed? Not at all! I think the rimless would have been sick, and I think in a few months you'll wish you'd have waited, but I have no doubt that this will be cool nonetheless. MD has a 50 gpd unit on sale for like $60 right now. Are you going to go sumpless?

snakeblitz33

Sump less. Self contained.
I bought some black ge silicone II. No where on the tube does it say mold and mildew resistant. I'm assuming the reason my 75 failed was because of the city switching to chloramines. Now I'm doubting my silicone job. Eek. What's the chances that it is but not on the label?
More pics to come.

E

eric b 125

I can't remember which GE is okay to use. I think I bought the II when doing my C2C but ended up using the stuff from my LFS...it was twice the price but it eliminated a possible question mark for me. I think that stuff is okay, but if you don't have much to silicone I suggest getting the LFS stuff just to be sure

snakeblitz33

I went ahead and used it anyway. The tank is so small that if I made a mistake, I can spend another $20 to get a new tank and glass divider.
The silicone job isn't that bad. I let it dry over night. I'm fixing to put abou a half an inch of sand I have left over and maybe a couple small base rocks. I'll be buying saltwater and a couple pieces of live rock in about 30 minutes.
I hope that the air pump I bought will be big enough to circulate water in the tank as well as power the upflow scrubber.