Starting Tank

jleithiser

Ok, thanks! I will look into it. I also have another question. If I bought the Percula Clownfish and I got some Bubble Tip Anenome for them, would the anenome bother the other fish?

clown boy

No, but I definately would wait before getting an anemone. They are very advanced, even though some say that they are hardy.
Get the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. It is very recomended, and has good information about clownfishes and anemones; even how to raise live food and breed clownfishes.

jleithiser

Okay, i will visit my local pet store to see if they have the book. I just bought the book "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies." Do you think that book would be a reliable source for information? :happyfish

clown boy

By the way, welcome to the boards!
When you have a question, remember that it is better to ask then it is to lose livestock.
If you haven't already, be sure to carefully read over the thread "what's the 1st thing you wish you had known" without skipping anything. Very vital advice.
Be sure to ask if your wondering whether a certain kind of animal can live with one that you already have.
Just some beginner advice.

rebeccabut

If you really want some good information, and don't know where to start, I picked up the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner (Don't pay more than $20 for it). Some of the stuff is a bit out of date, but it will give you an idea where to start and how to approach the whole saltwater tank thing.
I suggest looking at the fishes first. This site and others categorizes the fishies by type, and have a whole lot of information about each species. I say make a huge list of your dream fishies. Everything you would ever want to see in your tank. Then start looking into which ones you can have together, which species you can only have one of, etc. Decide if you want a reef tank or not (if you want corals.) This will affect many of your fish choices. Look at your fish list and decide if you're leaning more toward an aggressive or passive tank. How much room the fish you really like need, and how many you want to start out with. I suggest start with the aesthetic part of the hobby: where do you want to put it, what do you want it to look like.
Also consider your budget.
These message boards are great resources of information, and can get confusing. I suggest searching certain fishes ... if you end up searching 'yellow tang' and keep finding threads about how all tangs get ich, that's something you need to consider. I also suggest that once you find your tank size, search the forums to see other peoples' pictures to get ideas about yours.
There are some good 'sticky' forums at the top of each forum category (the ones that constantly stay at the top of the list for a reason - they are extremely useful.) Good luck!
Don't forget to have patience. I suggest read up now. Everything you can get your hands on. Find the local fish stores (LFS) near you and ask them questions. The people that seem like they really know what they're doing - use your better judgement on this one. Get as many different opinions as you can, and only take the advice if it makes sense. If you don't have the patience and drive to research now, you're going to be too easily discouraged when something small goes wrong with the tank, and that something small can turn into something big very quickly. On the other hand, if you enjoy learning as much as you can about the fish and the corals and the hobby in general, then keep reading, learning and enjoying!

rebeccabut

I'm still cycling my tank - before you know it, I'll be making motivational saltwater aquarium speeches across america in our country's elementary schools.

clown boy

Say, YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON OTHER THEN ME IN SAN ANTONIO!

Where in San Antonio are you? I'd be interested in trading corals and fish.

clown boy

I know, but I'm sure you will have some eventually. Just let me know if..... Well, I'd better not steal this thread.

clown boy

You can do a search in the upper-left corner from the saltwaterfish.com store, or below the buttons on the left from the forum.