Starting with Seahorses

Hi everyone, I decided to jump into keeping seahorses,
I have decided to put some in my 38, I am running an eheim canister rated for a 80 gal tank, it has a sand bottom, and I am using a 4x39w light, I plan on growing a caulerpa forest in there before introducing the horses, my LFS has also suggested putting mangroves in there for hitching posts, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

teresaq

Sounds pretty good so far. Do you have any corals in there?? make sure there isnt anything that is stinging.
What species are you looking at??
Most people use the nice fake corals and branch rock for hitches.
Please, Please, Please buy your horses from a reputable dealer, home breeder.
Do not buy them from your lfs. You never know the species and what has been in thier tank. Always buy from the same source.
T

teresaq

Do you have a spray bar on your canister?? If not, you might look into one. It helps breakup the flow. Also add an airline with NO airstone. You want nice big bubbles. (I know something you have always been told was bad for SW. But its not bad for seahorses.)
T

Not sure as of right now, as to the species, what are the best to start? i like the orange and yellow ones. No corals, just going to be macro algae and maybe mangroves.

teresaq

Second Question?? Do you plan on breeding. Also how tall is your tank
Also just so you are aware-- Horses can change colors to fit thier mood and environment. Black horses can change to burgandy, and I have even seen yellow. I have also seen yellow turn green or brown.
Oh and pictures are a must
T

sueandherzoo

Welcome to the seahorse world - it's addicting and mesmerizing. Quick question..... you say you are going to add some to your 38 gallon . . . what, if anything, do you have in there now in the way of livestock? Any fish? Crabs? Shrimp? Starfish?
Sue

no livestock yet, just sand and some branch rock, I was thinking about cycling it with chromis and then moving them into my reef, and then getting the horses. I was thinking about a banded serpent star for a primary scavenger, and some snails for algae control, my tank is at least 18in tall, as for breeding if it happens that would be amazing but I am not doing it for that

teresaq

Here is a nice chart to see what will fit and what wont.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=315559
Now I dont know why Serpents arent on it, but they are not good tank mates. They tend to hunt at night, and could hurt your horses while they sleep. Small fish like clown gobies make good tank mates and will cleanup any left over food. I have a scooter that eats with my horses.
I also would not cycle with fish, they are a pain to get out. Just ghost feed your tank or throw in a grocey store shrimp.
T

Ya , cycle with dead shrimp or ghost feed, and no to the serpent star , try asterina's, red reef hermits and/or snails and/or pencil urchins [if no soft corals , they can snack on them].

Tank mates can include - red reef hermits , dwarf blue leg hermits , porcelain crabs , pepp shrimp , camel back shrimp , any kind of gobie [ yellow , green , citron , rusty , watchman , etc ] , dragonettes - scooters , green or spotted, any kind of snail except whelps and cowries , a royal gramma if purchased small,a dwarf angel if purchased small and added after your horses , occelaris clown , again if purchased small as in 1" , lawnmower blennie - doesn't bother my horses and eats mysis ....maybe the exception so don't take my word on that one, oh and my "saltwater mollies". Thats it in all my tanks and everyone gets along great...thats all my tank mates in the last 5 years

sueandherzoo

Wow - I never thought of adding a dwarf angel into my horse tank - that seemed like a certain "no no" since the one I have in my other tank is such a creep. But since he would be the "newcomer" to the horse tank and if I got one real small that could maybe work, right?
Still makes me a little nervous but definitely something to consider if I ever see a dwarf that I just HAVE to have.
Sue

meowzer

Tank mates can include - red reef hermits , dwarf blue leg hermits , porcelain crabs , pepp shrimp , camel back shrimp , any kind of gobie [ yellow , green , citron , rusty , watchman , etc ] , dragonettes - scooters , green or spotted, any kind of snail except whelps and cowries , a royal gramma if purchased small,a dwarf angel if purchased small and added after your horses , occelaris clown , again if purchased small as in 1" , lawnmower blennie - doesn't bother my horses and eats mysis ....maybe the exception so don't take my word on that one, oh and my "saltwater mollies". Thats it in all my tanks and everyone gets along great...thats all my tank mates in the last 5 years
I also have a lawnmower blennie, 2 perc clowns, scooter, 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 yellow clown gobies, 1 6line wrasse.....with my seahorses....I have had no problems with any of them....
I HAD NO IDEA you could keep a porcelain crab.....I thought no crabs could be kept with horses? Now I may look into getting one :)

teresaq

I would not do a dwarf angel, They are a level 4 on the compatability chart. I know that the one I have in my big tank is always trying to bully my clowns, I would not want to stress my horses like that.
Porcelain crabs and emerald crabs are a level 2 - added with caution
T