Startof BBQ for Me

ironeagle2006

Time to break out the Grill/Smoker for my family. Today just doing something Simple Spareribs dryrubbed and smoked for about 6 hours total time. Tommorrow is time to drive the Neighbor NUTSO the Pork Butt for 8-10 hours til it falls apart. Then I am a cross roads see I stuffed my Freezer to the gills and I am debating either one of the Beef loins wrapped in Bacon or should I do a Ribeye roast next Both Smoked of course.
I will take Suggestions as always. I love the fact I was able to find my Jack Daniels Barrel wood Chips again this year.

dragonzim

Personally, I wouldn't smoke a beef loin, bacon wrapped or not. There's not enough fat in the meat itself and it will probably dry out.
Pork butt is usually more of a 10-12 hour cook, but I generally get pretty big ones.

ironeagle2006

The Loin I am talking about is what the Butchers make NY Strips from not a Tenderloin you think I would waste that kind of beef.

dragonzim

Cool. Still wouldn't think there's enough fat in that loin either, but I'm interested to hear how it comes out!

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/391028/startof-bbq-for-me#post_3465862
I ordered a turkey canon today :)
Had to look that up since I'd never heard of one. Looks like a beer-can chicken setup for a bigger bird... Let me know how it works! I did my first smoked turkey back in November using my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Came out fantastic!

ironeagle2006

Boston Butt on the Smoker/Grill as of 30 Mins ago 9 hours to go and it will be done it only was a 9 lb one so it should be done at 25 degrees and hickory and Old #7 wood chips for smoking her. My Neighbor that works nights came out and went I WANT SOME ALREADY. I went you will get some ok after it is DONE for your lunch tonight.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/391028/startof-bbq-for-me#post_3465870
Had to look that up since I'd never heard of one. Looks like a beer-can chicken setup for a bigger bird... Let me know how it works! I did my first smoked turkey back in November using my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Came out fantastic!
When I saw the picture of a turkey in the smoker on one I had to try it. Smoked turkey is great but I like skin and have trouble smoking it to the point the skin is done without drying out the rest of the bird. Not sure what I am going to fill it with.

dragonzim

When I saw the picture of a turkey in the smoker on one I had to try it. Smoked turkey is great but I like skin and have trouble smoking it to the point the skin is done without drying out the rest of the bird. Not sure what I am going to fill it with.
When I smoked mine I just upped the heat for the last 20 minutes or so of the cooking time and got a nice crisp skin.
I've done a lot of playing around with the whole beer can chicken thing and have honestly not noticed any difference in flavor between using water, beer, stock or any other liquid. You're boiling off the liquid and turning it into steam. Steam doesnt have flavor, all you end up doing is concentrating the flavor of whatever liquid is left in the can