Stingray open wound

sepulatian

It is unfortunate that the OP didn't come back. I think this is diet related too. A ray cannot live on Krill... the environment was not the best either.

indcolts56

Sorry for the delay! I was waiting for some marked progress before reporting back..
We ABSOLUTELY appreciate all the help! We have varied Junior's diet as he does have a large goiter like bump under the wound. We gave him the antibiotics and are watching him very closely. The wound seemed to be healing a bit 3 days ago, but now has regressed. Not larger, just has raw edges again where before the edges were turning white and seemed to be healing.
He is still very, very lively-- Eating well and swimming fast. We are taking all your advice seriously and have been spending time reading up on goiters.
Thank you all very much! You are terrific!

indcolts56

Thanks for not giving up on us. We are feeding him a mixture of silversides, squids and vitamins. Can you think of anything else?

meowzer

Originally Posted by indcolts56
http:///forum/post/3184881
Thanks for not giving up on us. We are feeding him a mixture of silversides, squids and vitamins. Can you think of anything else?
YES....if you do not have fresh (I do not) you can buy frozen shrimp (RAW) from the store....also scallops are good too..buy the small ones, and break it up a little...my ray is really big, so I do not have to do that anymore
since yours is ill....I would suggest soaking in vitamins, and feeding him small pieces at a time
What vitamins did you get? Selcon is good...also zoecon, and vitachem

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I would recommend zoecon for sure. Selcon as well is a good supplement.
What are the water readings in the tank now? I'm assuming you added the antibiotics to the tank, removing the live rock?

roastreef

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, you can buy the seafood mix that has shrimp, scallops, and squid all in one pack.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, you can also get this at Publix. That is what I used, and added, this and that to it.