StingRays

I need a little info on Stingrays. I was out Diving and caught a ray and put him in my 225 tank. I never see these beautiful animals in the Stores nor do and web sites sell them I was wondering if there is a reason for this. He seems to be doing well, but I want to know if there is anything I shoul know?

give us the info about everything, tank setup, what filtration are you using? description, there are some species from florida that will do well in your tank, so you need to be very specific

I caught it with a collection net... I have a 225 with a 60 gallon wet/dry being run by a rio 3100 and a external Little giant. I have a skimmer, UV, Live sand 100lbs or so.

I Live in North Lauderdale, I dive in the Fort Lauderdale area also how do I post a Pic on this forum, I see nothing about posing Pics

sammystingray

Southern ray? They get up to 5 feet across.......too big. Yellow stingrays are the ONLY saltwater ray I recommend. Blue spots are small enough for large tanks, but not as hardy as the less attractive yellows.

polarpooch

Reef Maniac: check out "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" by Scott Michael as a good small ray reference source.
To post a pic, use the tool included in the posting form....

rayraypico

thats funny we are in the same neighborhood. i am just getting my tank started hope you can help me out as i encounter new problems

reef fool

Originally posted by TheReefManiac
how do I post a Pic on this forum, I see nothing about posing Pics

Go to "post reply" and in the area it says "attach file" click on browse and find the file containing the picture on your computer and double click it. Make sure it is around 800 x 600 in size or it will not load the pic.

sammystingray

I can't see the pic too clear since it is so small. I will say this if it means anything.....I tried to enlarge and lost all quality, but didn't see any claspers. If it has two appendages sticking out at the base of the tail, then it's a boy, if there are not two OBVIOUS appendages sticking out at the base of the tail, it's a girl. My stingrays always loved silversides, and starfish are great for cleanup of scraps. Make sure the sand is deep enough, and fine enough, to bury it's whole body into without getting cut. If it turns out to be a southern stingray, he is going to grow too large. Can you get a larger quality pic? Can't think of anything else, but never ever ever medicate the tank...copper will kill him. Very sloppy eaters, so I recommend starfish as a cleanup crew. Large serpent stars cruise across the sand when they smell the scraps.....pretty much what I used for cleanup. Don't put any cleanerfish, or cleaners in general, they will pick at it's eyes when buried, and don't put any fish in there that will pick at his eyes when he is buried. They just see these little bumps sticking out of the sand, and will bite the rays eyes. Don't put ANY mean fish in there either, they will out swim the ray easily, and they will tear into the rays very soft skin.

Thanks fot the info but the pic wouldn't post its origional size it said file to large so I reduced it do I was able to post it.