Stock List

pegasus

Nice. Good call on no damsels. Damsels can be holy terrors, and will challenge fish 4 times their size. I got lucky... my yellow tail stayed small and learned to play nice with the other fish. It's most likely due to the size of my tank. He doesn't feel threatened or have to compete for territory, which could easily be a completely different story in a smaller tank. Those Chromis will be good "seed" for the tank, and no, most cameras don't do fish justice. They are always more colorful and vibrant in person. A high-end DSLR will capture their beauty, but I spend my money on fish, not cameras... lol!!!

kopczynski

Long over due update, i have converted to a reef tank and i currently have 7 fish, im looking to add more in the future ( im aware i will be overstocking the tank) . Current fish include: kole tang, royal gramma, four line wrasse, starcki damsel, one spot fox face, 1 orange clown and 1 black clown. I keep changing the list of what i want because there are always more fish in the ocean. I'll try to post pictures of stuff in the tank tomorrow.

kopczynski

After they passed I left the tank empty for 8 weeks I ended up getting a lot of algae on the rocks and all over the glass, it was diatoms and a green algae that covers everything.

Very nice. Do you get new rocks? Three weeks ago, my rocks just looks like your, now I get some of the rocks turn brown. Do you have a skimmer?

kopczynski

I added some rocks after the chromis passed. I have a skimmer that I only run sometimes but eventually when I have it fully stocked I'll run it full time. And its normal for algae to grow on rocks, I'm trying to promote coraline algae to grow but I can't seem to get any.

kopczynski

I'm planning on adding a multicolor angel, a fathead sunburst anthias, a red and a purple firefish, a twin spot goby, a spotted mandarin, a ruby red dragonet, midas blenny, tail spot blenny, a pair of banggai cardinals, and a Tomini tang. I wanted a golden dwarf moray eel but I feared it escaping so I chose the Tomini tang instead. I am aware it could be considered over stocked but some fish create more waste then others like the tangs, and the dragonets, cardinals, and firefish don't create as much waste.

Last edited:
I like you tank, but it seems to me, you need little more rocks, keep us update, I also like overstock my fish too. Is it your tank is 100 gallon tank? It seems to me you don't like small angelfish.

kopczynski

Its a 60 gallon tank that's 4 ft long, I was going to add three dwarf angels but I did not want to risk the aggression. There are 80lbs of rock.

Last edited:

kopczynski

After contemplating this list I decided to remove a few fish and had a question in regards to peoples experiences with dottybacks, whether they are reef safe, and if they have been good tank mates. I have shrunk the list to:
Starcki Damsel
Four Line Wrasse
Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface
Ruby Red Dragonet
Midas Blenny
Multicolored Angelfish
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Twin Spot Goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
Purple Firefish
Red Firefish
Tomini Tang
Any info on dottybacks would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

pegasus

I hope this is your starting list, because it's a pretty big list for a 60 gallon tank. If it isn't...

...adding additional tangs and foxface can be an issue since the current have claimed their territory... the tank. If you insist on adding more, do it early so the fighting doesn't freak out the other newcomers. Clowns, goby, blenny, and firefish are passive, so they can be added early, then basslet.. Damsel and wrasse, same class as dottybacks, can be aggressive... added last. If you find a tank bred, or tank raised Dragonet, make sure it's eating frozen processed food before purchasing. Otherwise, wait a minimum of 6 months after seeding your tank with pods, and a refugium is a huge plus in this case.

Dottybacks,can be aggressive, especially to newcomers. Reef safe, one per tank, added last.

kopczynski

Okay, I might give the foxface to my lfs if he doesn't stop nipping at my zoanthids, I was planning on waiting to add the dragonet last once the tank has a stable population of copepods, ill probably not add a dottyback, because if I'm reading correctly what I'm planning on adding is already to much and another fiat wont help.