stop the confussion!!! I need advice on acheiving and maintaining calcium, alk, and

saltyrich

The confusion is overwhelming. After testing, my ph is 8.2, alk is 2.5-2.8 (unclear test), and calcium is 400. I'm currently using C-Balance two part dosing to maintain all of this. I'm sick of all the options. My reef tank has mostly hard corals. To be specific: bubble, green cup (pagoda), trumpet, galaxy, xenia frag, green star polyps, colony polyp frag, ricordia, red mushrooms, and fox coral. I'm soon to add some softies and some sps. What is the best level of calcium and alk to have, what should I dose with to acheive those levels, and then do I switch to kalkwasser to maintain them? How much kalkwasser do I drip? I'll be dripping at night.

mlm

I say continue to use the two part additive. I use Kent's Tech CB and have used C balance both with very good results.

saltyrich

Will the the C-balance or Kent's increase the alk? Is the alk level of 2.8 a little low? What's the best way to increase it?

bang guy

An ALK level of 2.8 Meq/L IMO is fine. The low end of fine but fine none the less :)
Same with Ca of 400, same with PH of 8.2
Your levels could be a little higher but more CA does not = faster Coral growth.
Your tank is at the threshhold of cost vs convenience IMO. A two part additive is a LOT less hassle than Kalk but it's also more expensive. You really can't lose with either path.
As a one time boost you could add some Calcium chloride to boost your Ca to 420/430. That would make it more inline with your ALK level.
If you choose to drip Kalk then drip it so it matches your daily evaporation rate. This will take some experimenting and your evap rate will change slightly week to week. You don't have to be precise.

mlm

If you need to increase the alk you can double the dose antil you reach the deseires level. (this was told to me by a tech at kent) If you are having trouble raising it though you may have low magnesium in which case you could use tech m by kent to raise it.

falcon63

this was a big post a few weeks ago but i use HTH calcium plus.
you can get this product at walmart 5lb for $6.00 .
it is 97% ingriedents 3-5 % filler, all others are as much 70% fillers. it is fast and vary easy. 2-3 table spoons done.

bang guy

HTH Calcium +... I assume it's just Calcium chloride? Adding only Ca will lead to problems down the road.

smalltimer

dude, it will evently snow in tank using that calcium, use the a-b or get a calcium reactor.........................

bammbamm74

You all may laugh at me, but I had a hard time getting my CA levels up above 300. I added Tech-M and my ALK was at 4.5Meq/L. I was adding Turbo CA by Kent everyday. Wouldn't go up. So I said forget it. I went and bought some Sea-Lab 28 tabs. I put one in my tank. one week later, my CA is at 460. Can't beat that. $1.50 for the tab that I just drop into the tank once every week or 2. I am going to get a box of 24 for $24. I just make sure my ALK stays high. I also get 27 other trace elements added to my tank. I haven't had an algae problem in a long time now.