straight out of the ocean?

scottallert

does anyone take there fish or corals straight out of the ocean, because i live in florida and i dive and see banded shrimp, flame scallops, french angels ,all kinds of nice stuff and i was thinking would it be ok to put it in my tank?

don trinko

I think many of the fish you see in the LFS are not tank raised.
I would check with your local Wildlife authority ( called DNR in Ohio) to see if it is legal and if you need a permit. Don T.

There are a lot of environmental reason why you should get a tank raised item as opposed to a wild item. I think most are preservation. My zoo and aquarium really encourages the tank raised. If I could get one out of the ocean and put it safely in my tank, I would want to do it too. What a great story? What a great cost? My suggestion would be to find out the reasons not to take them from the ocean and see if it is within your views and then of course check the legality of it. I live in Ohio. I am jealous that I can't go and see them in their own habitat.

scubachris

Hey I live in Florida and I can tell you it is illegal to keep the corals and even some of the fish you may find swimming on our off shore reefs. I know when I come in they inspect my boat and if you have ANYTHING you not supposed to, bamm! FINE!!!! Its not worth the trouble.

tentacle

I collect some of my own stuff. Most of the local fish that I like are not reef compatible, so I do not include them in my reef, but I have stocked them in other tanks. I do have neon gobies I collected in my reef though.
You can't touch any hard corals, sea fans and have to adhere to size and bag limits, but follow those rules, and it can be rewarding. I do dip specimens before adding to my tank for safety, and if you could quarentine even better, but I have never introduced disease to my tank.
Some things I have added that I collected for my reef include nice green zoanthids, brown palythoas, bright red cluster duster, feather dusters, purple body encrusting gorgonian, bright red sponge, emerald crab, bue leg hermit, turbo snails, banded coral shrimp, peppermint shrimp. I still need to go get some anemone shrimp, ricordia, and a nice colored gorgonian. Just remember you cannot take rock, so extreme care is needed to collect things that are attached.
Bill

scottallert

Originally Posted by Tentacle
http:///forum/post/2781660
I collect some of my own stuff. Most of the local fish that I like are not reef compatible, so I do not include them in my reef, but I have stocked them in other tanks. I do have neon gobies I collected in my reef though.
You can't touch any hard corals, sea fans and have to adhere to size and bag limits, but follow those rules, and it can be rewarding. I do dip specimens before adding to my tank for safety, and if you could quarentine even better, but I have never introduced disease to my tank.
Some things I have added that I collected for my reef include nice green zoanthids, brown palythoas, bright red cluster duster, feather dusters, purple body encrusting gorgonian, bright red sponge, emerald crab, bue leg hermit, turbo snails, banded coral shrimp, peppermint shrimp. I still need to go get some anemone shrimp, ricordia, and a nice colored gorgonian. Just remember you cannot take rock, so extreme care is needed to collect things that are attached.
Bill
wow nice, what dephs do you find ricordias because ive yet to see some.

scottallert

Originally Posted by peachie98
http:///forum/post/2781867
Do you go out around Palm Beach County (I see you listed that as where you live) and if so, where? :)
im also curious, i know theres red reef park in boca but not exacly sure where or if theres anything interesting there.

girlina4x4

When I lived in Stuart, I used to go out at the Jupiter Bridge with my Marine Bio teacher, she said most of the stuff we caught was good, but no rocks!

nissan577

well i went scubadiving today and caught a 5 highhat and for some reason 2 koletangs. lol. i believe it was blown here by the hurricanes. i almost caught him but i got scared with the shark that was around the shipped lol. im not a chicken. and right now the highhat is in my reeftank happy

scottallert

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2782395
well i went scubadiving today and caught a 5 highhat and for some reason 2 koletangs. lol. i believe it was blown here by the hurricanes. i almost caught him but i got scared with the shark that was around the shipped lol. im not a chicken. and right now the highhat is in my reeftank happy
ive caught a couple highhats there cool fish that just chill at the bottom,

nissan577

perfect. it was so amazing today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. but the shark scared me