stumped

mch2o

Sounds like it is going good Mr x.
You should see my forum on reef tanks and look and my little project im doing.
I think you will like it

mr_x

nothing exciting really. just a tremendous amount of diatoms.
i added another 10 astrea snails and 1 red leg hermit i had in the frag tank.
btw- as you can see, the tank was in need of a waterchange. the RODI is still not hooked up at the gym, so instead of using treated tap water, i mixed 25 gallons of saltwater at my house, and brought it in buckets to the gym. what a PITA that was. i just can't bring myself to using treated tap water. it's going to ruin this tank eventually, if it's use is continued.
i also added 4 or 5 handfulls of macroalgae to the refugium and am running the light 24/7, mainly because i don't have a timer, or i'd be running it opposite the display.

mlr492

I just spent an hour reading this whole thread! Things are going great. I was at Mr. X's house the other day to take pictures of his tank!!!!
It's beautiful to say the least.
Anyone else local want to volunteer their tank?
Here are the pictures I took of his tank!

Absolutely stunning no?

mlr492

Your welcome. Your fully deserve it. Thanks again for letting me come over and take pictures. I learned a ton!

mr_x

thanks again. the fish are going to be:
his yellow tang
his maroon clown
a hippo tang
a whipfin fairy wrasse
a lawnmower blenny
i think that's plenty.

mr_x

yeah..maybe it's for the best though, because he was a quite aggressive specimen. i know i would have been stressed over his behavior, if he had lived.
btw- i'm adding a flame angel to the gym tanks' livestock list. right now there is a yellow tang, a maroon clown, a tiny hippo tang, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, about 6 emerald crabs, 2 porcelain crabs, and 20 astrea snails in there so far.
i'll be adding a whipfin fairy, an algae blenny, and a flame angel on tuesday.
i'll be heading over there in about 2 hours to top off and feed. i'll shoot a few pics.
i've also been doing water changes by bucketing mixed water from home. i managed to do two 28 gallon water changes since the cycle ended, and the water is looking better, but i'm still not 100% satisfied.
the gym owner hasn't gotten around to hooking up the R.O. unit yet, and won't let me do it. he tells me he wants a plumber to do it.
so, i've been bringing water from home, and occasionally using treated tap water for top off. it sucks, but i don't have much of a choice.

mr_x

the diatom algae is almost gone. all that is left is a small amount on the rock, and some on the side glass and overflows.
a few quickie pics from today-
first a full tank shot. (sorry about the center of the pic...i had to erase the flash reflection)

a shot from the back showing the yellow tang and maroon clown-

large emerald-

apparently the ASM G3 skimmer that alot of people on this forum aren't fond of is doing a decent job of collecting nasties.

i'm going to add the rest of the fish and inverts on tuesday, and then i'm going to add some easy corals on the weekend.