Stupid question.....

Just recieved my live rock and finally my tank today.
i am going to set up my tank w/ live sand then add water then add some salt and wait until my salinity is just right. can i have the live rock in while doing this or should i wait until salinity level is right then put them in?
thanks in advance

spanko

You should mix your water in the tank without the rock and sand until the tank water is of the correct salinity and temperature, then add the rock and sand. Or you can mix the water outside of the tank in some kind of container then add the sand, rock and then the water to the tank. Your water needs to be the correct salinity and preferrably temperature before adding your live sand and rock though.

marcb

Originally Posted by MATTHRUSHFORD
http:///forum/post/2993522
if one live rock piece is too big can i take a hammer and chisel to make smaller?
Yes. Take advantage of the opportunity, and chop it to a shape that suits your needs.

shoregirl2

Another idea that I did, was I took some of my solid pieces of rock and just chiseled out some holes some all the way through to the other side, others I just made a deep little type of one sided cave, I'm really glad I did, because my midas blenny loves all the little nick and crannies I made, just be careful when chiseling, because sometimes it will break all the way.

socal57che

Be sure to follow Spanko's advice on prepping the water prior to adding LS and LR. Soaking it in freshwater while you bring the salinity up will negate the "live" part of Live sand and Live rock.

Yes, you can bust up your LR into manageable chunks.