Subs and Amps

fishkid2

Hey guys. I would like to see some peoples set ups in their cars for their bass.
I just got my set not to long ago. I now have a 10" kicker l5 and
a Kenwood KAC-6202 400 watt amplifier. Even though I am only powering 200 rms into this sub it really pounds.
I also have it in a home-made box that is a little too big, I got both of those and wiring for $180.
Now please share what any of you guys have.

aquaknight

Here's my setup in my old car. Keep in mind it was done in 2004, so the components are outdated. The factory system in my Cadillac is very impressive for a factory, so leaving it alone for now.
The Aurora presented a couple problems for the sub install. It had a nice, wide and deep trunk, perfect for some 15" woofers, but it was a very short trunk, unfortunately the 15"s were too tall to sit upright, so I had to lay them down. Took a lot of tuning to get them to sound perfect. 15"s just produce low-end bass so naturally (15Hz-200Hz), was set from day 1 to use them instead of conventional 12"s.
Specs:
Car- Oldsmobile Aurora
Head Unit - Alpine 9855
Speaker Amp - Infinity Reference 7541a
Front Speakers - Alpine Type-R SPR-17LS,
Rear Speakers - Kicker SSMB6 (2)
Sub Amp- Kicker KX1200.1
Subs - Kicker 04 CompVR15" (2)
Signal Processor/Crossover - Clarion MCD360
Capacitor - Power Acoustic 5.0 Farad Cap.
Custom radio bezel, fiberglassed from a double-din to a single.

Custom painted the end caps to match the car color. Leather wrapped box with polished aluminum rails.

Capacitor and X-over...

fishkid2

This is my ride. Can you guess what year this is?
It does have some front end damage though thats what sucks.

silverdak

I have 2-8" pioneer shallow mount subs powereed by a pioneer amp (300Watts) not sur eof model numbers or anything unless i go look. Pioneer DEH-2700 with aux output for Zune.
for experience the bigge rthe sub the more drown it will have and it wont sound as good as smalled ones. the smaller ones wont hit as hard, but they will sound cleaner. I was able to get a great price on my 8's and I couldn't be happier with how hard they hit and how clean they are as well. keep in mind i dont have a huge trunk either... they are under my back seats in my truck

fishkid2

Got any pics? I told my friend that he should put subs behind his seats like you did in your truck. I would not say that bigger subs don't sound as clean then smaller ones. It depends on what brands they have set up in their car.

silverdak

i will see if I can find my girls camera and get some pictures, that or off my cell... short answer yes I will get some lol. mine are under my seats tho I have a club cab. In my older dak that was a reg. cab i had a bazooka tube behind the seat

aquaknight

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2743025
I have 2-8" pioneer shallow mount subs powereed by a pioneer amp (300Watts) not sur eof model numbers or anything unless i go look. Pioneer DEH-2700 with aux output for Zune.
for experience the bigge rthe sub the more drown it will have and it wont sound as good as smalled ones. the smaller ones wont hit as hard, but they will sound cleaner. I was able to get a great price on my 8's and I couldn't be happier with how hard they hit and how clean they are as well. keep in mind i dont have a huge trunk either... they are under my back seats in my truck

Originally Posted by fishkid2
http:///forum/post/2743034
Got any pics? I told my friend that he should put subs behind his seats like you did in your truck. I would not say that bigger subs don't sound as clean then smaller ones. It depends on what brands they have set up in their car.
Correct. It's all about control. Programmable EQ's, adjustable Crossover slopes, all were used to help reign in my 2 15"s.
Audio for trucks represents it's own unique problems. Really, it would be the equivalent of sitting inside a trunk of a car with the subs. Also it's extremely hard to get an enclosure large enough for larger subs in a truck. Limited to the small space behind the seats. My sub box is 5 cu. ft. per sub. Lastly, there's usually only one set of speakers in a truck, or all the speakers are in front of the listeners (door/dash), so you can't create a proper sound stage will additional rear drivers like in a car, with speakers in the rear doors or on the rear shelf.

http:///forum/post/2742905
This is my ride. Can you guess what year this is?
It does have some front end damage though thats what sucks.

Looks to be either the 1987 or 1988 model year?
Can you guess the year my Aurora was?

silverdak

no I do have rear speakers too that are really nice, all 4 doors have polk audio componats in them, that was the first audio modding that i did, then the 2 subs i got for free

blazehok68

http:///forum/post/2747981
My deck has a remote wire, but it is not running to the car or anything, so thats what I had to do.
you can use the power antenna lead off of the back of the head unit for your remote. the remote input on the amp is only a reference input. you only need a tiny bit of power to turn it on, then the power wire is your constant power. the way you have it jumped right now might tell the amp that it is on all the time and you might even burn up the amp.

blazehok68

yeah but theres always that one time or another where you are in a rush to get somewhere and forget about the switch, or you let someone else use the car and they dont know about the switch, and then you have a dead battery.
the switch does work, dont get me wrong, just hooking it properly works better.