Sump "Diary"

shwstpr88

Hello not sure if anyone would care to follow but I am upgrading my sump for my 125gal tank. My current 55gal sump is falling apart due to my previous lack of knowledge and worst of all rushing!
I am going to create a new 55 gal sump and allow the old one to keep working in the mean time.
Today I purchased on the auction site:
Lexan sheets: $45 shipped.
Aquarium safe silicone: $13 dollars shipped (10.5oz)
Eggcrate from Lowes: $9
Superglue for glass and plastic: $6
I just got back from picking up a used but newer 55gal tank from someone locally on CL. I will be cleaning out that tank tonight with bleac and water, no algae problems but some old gravel is still in there. I will fill the tank over night to check it for leaks (advertised no leaks) with bleach water (low dose).
I will probalby have to wait for my material to arrive till Friday. I did also buy a used ASM G2 Skimmer for 90 dollars on CL as well that was shipped today should arrive by weeks end. I will add some pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

shwstpr88

I did I am going to post it in the morning its on my other computer im too tired to draw it in "paint" again lol I just got down scrubbing that bad boy down in my kitchen. Still had some OOOOOOOOld dried up gravel and "stuff" in there. I currently have it sitting full of tap water doing a leak test so far so good! I am hoping I get all my materials by the weekend I am really excited to put it together but am totally going to take my time this time.
So for my deep sand bed thats currently in there I should just rinse that RO? or does it need to have salt as well? I can do either or, thats the only part I am nervous of when I get it rolling.
Hopfully all my critters hide deep in the live rock/chaeto/caulupera I was just starting to get a good population of them. (Hoping to get a mandarin one day).

handbanana

does your skimmer overflow any bubbles? maybe another baffel coming down from the top just after the skimmer?

Im watching too. Love me a good DIY!

shwstpr88

Thanks Handbanana, actually I came on to write today that my G-2 skimmer came in today!!! I am so excited to see how it looks in the tank I will be taking pictures tonight. I also had my silicone come in today so all I am waiiting for now is the Lexan sheets I bought on eebbaayy.
Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this skimmer? I bought this one used so I am going to bit a bit clueless. OMG it is SOOOOO much bigger than my other skimmer (rated for like 40gal haha). I will post a new thread to see if I can get a bigger audience on that manual, but thanks for the interest more fun posts to come....with pictures!

shwstpr88

Ok so last night construction began! Here are a few pictures of my progress:

before griding wheel....

after.....

So Thats where I ended last night letting the superglue setup. I am still waiting for my Lexan sheets to come in the mail I guess they are due in Monday

Till then I need to wait, but I am so excited this protein skimmer is HUGE! I love it.

shwstpr88

Ok more progress last night the acrylic sheet came in and boy did I get LUUUUUUUUUUUCKY! I called a local plastic shop just for grins to see how much they would charge and they said like 15 dollars so I though heck to get exact cuts and not break any peices and to keep my sanity why not. So I brought the pieces over and they did it for free!!!

So i have all the pieces in and superglued overnight I took pix but my iphone is not working all too well and wont take a charge yet another issue oh well. But I will get that up ASAP. I am going to silicone it all in this afternoon let it sit for the night and install it tomorrow!

shwstpr88

OK it finally took a charge.....
This is the lip that will hold the filter pad:

The rest:

No way this is gonna collapse this time 3/8 thick:

More pictures of the complete project tonight!!!

shwstpr88

All done guys!!! Here are my pictures of the final design BUILT! Just gotta wait 24 hours to dry and under the tank it goes!
Thanks again everyone for all the help during the design and picking the right skimmer I am way too excited to put it in now!
I will post more pictures tomorrow when I put it in....

stevedave08

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/3213516
Thanks for the compliment, I hope it turns out for ya, let me know if you need anything!

I have a 75 gallon and it's not drilled. So I have to buy an overflow, a pump, a tank, lexan sheets, egg crate, tubing, and the necessary adhesives/glues/sealants. Am I missing anything?

shwstpr88

For construction sounds like your all set. Then youll just needs rubble rock, live sand, and macros. I'm actually starting to sell my Macro's on the auction site trying it out for the first time I figure it might have some value since I do have pods and amphi and cope in there lol.
Just make sure you take your time and let all that dry, the first time I did mine i didnt give it over a day to dry cause I was too dumb and excited to get it in operating.