Sump/Refuge DIY Pics!

benihuma

Well, I finally got everything I need, and have started construction of my 15 gallon refugium and 15 gallon sump. Here are my first pics.

benihuma

Actually the holes are in the refugium, and I had a local glass service company drill them for $20.
My plan is to have the skimmer in the refugium, and have the refugium overflow into the sump, which will also be fed by a trickle filter off one of the main tank overflows.
Ben

heyoo

My monitor in the office sux. Your pictures are fine - but my monitor shows everything too dark (and before I get flamed for having the contrast and brightness too low - don't. Its just a crappy monitor).
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out your pyramid of PVC. What exactly is that, and is is in or out of the tank? I'm not sure where your're headed with that.
thanks
heyoo

newfishliny

I would like to know if the ref is to deep for your protein skimmer, the over flows are very high . I would check out the instructions on the skimmer for the water depth. you can always put the skimmer i the sump.
good luck
Don

benihuma

1. The pyramid is my spraybar. That way I'll have current all the way from the top to the bottom, at the left, right, and center. It just doesn't have any holes in it right now. And it will be going inside the tank, but it will be virtually invisible with all the live rock that will be hiding it.
2. The depth of the refugium is just right, since my skimmer is a 'hang on the back' type. I used to have it on the back of my tank, but now it will be on the back of my sump.
So far no positive remarks. Doesn't anyone like my ideas?
Ben

benihuma

At first I'm going to use the mag solely for the return, which will be going to the main tank and also the refugium. I planned on at least 6 holes in each 'arm' of the pyramid, and if that is still too much current, then I will use the mag to power my remora pro. The pvc up to the pyramid is 1", and the actual pyramid is 3/4".
So basically, I'll have 2 overflows rated at 700gph each, one going to the refugium, one to the sump trickle filter. The skimmer will be in the refuge, and the overflow from the refuge will go into the sump. The mag in the sump will go up one pipe, then split into 3, the left going to the refuge controlled by a ball valve, the right for water changes controlled by another ball valve, and one straight up to the pyramid in the tank. I'll post more pics as I go along.
Ben

benihuma

So, you're saying that without the skimmer in the mag line, you had too much flow to the tank? If so, I'll probably have the same problem.
Ben

algaeeater

Hi
Great setup!!! Are you going to have a hang on the back overflowbox? If you are, where did you get it?
Keep the pics coming!!
Thanks

benihuma

I will have dual hang on the back overflows rated at 700gph each. I ordered them from lifereef dot com, as I have heard nothing but good things about them. More pics will follow as the construction continues.
Ben

heyoo

I agree about putting the skimmer on the sump instead of the refugium. If your macroalgae grows rapidly (as you hope it will), your pump feeding the skimmer might get clogged frequently.
I asked the AquaC people about the remoras for sump-side use, and they said it was fine. Just add an extention tube, drop the pump in the sump (or tee off your big mag) and you're in business. Luckilly remoras (and their in-sump version the Urchin)aren't affected by the water level of the sump.
I'd like to see more pictures when you start stacking your liverock. I've noticed that many people are using spraybars now, so I'm curious to see how they are hidden.
Good work.

benihuma

For every three or four holes foreward, I plan on having one hole to either side or to the back. With the mag 12 I should be able to drill holes to my hearts content without effecting the flow too much. I will do as you suggested and have smaller holes at the top, and larger holes towards the bottom. Thanks for the good words and the advice.
Ben