Sump Tank

jimbousmc

i want to build a sump tank with a 10 to 20 gallon aquarium can somebody send me some pictures of theres and explain how it is set up, why it is set up that way and what the purpose of the tank is.

jimbousmc

that is not a response the purpose of these forums are to help others when they ask a question. advice for a real living person so they can answer and explain things. this way when they google something and they do not understand what exactly is going on they can ask a question. i sure hope this forum is not all made up of people like you. i bet you are all about getting help you are just not willing to give it.

meowzer

I am really sorry for that response...NO...we do not all respond with that...LOL...
1st I'd like to say WELCOME to SWF.....I can tell you that if you go to the equipment section you will find a lot of info on sumps/refugiums
Sorry I have no pics to offer you...I'm at work :)

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterkeeper http:///t/392394/sump-tank#post_3483897
Google it
How Rude!!!
Nice way to welcome new folks to the forums. Why would you even post that. I could see reading the post and not wanting to reply, but to just reply back, "Google it". That is just rude man.
Why would people what to come here to ask a question if they get responses like that?? Seriously!!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbousmc http:///t/392394/sump-tank#post_3483888
i want to build a sump tank with a 10 to 20 gallon aquarium can somebody send me some pictures of theres and explain how it is set up, why it is set up that way and what the purpose of the tank is.
You should just google it!! J/K
Here is a pic of my sump. It is a bit different then a normal sump. I do not have bubble traps with a standard three baffle setup. I have a single baffle to separate the three sump chambers, and a media box instead of filter socks. The first chamber is the skimmer chamber (where the skimmer is located). the second is a refuigum chamber, I keep like 25 lbs of LR down there and some macro algae. The media box splits the raw dirty water from the DT to the two sections (skimmer and fuge). The third is the return pump chamber.

old pic when the sump was first setup.

same sump 6 months later. The algae scrubber has since been taken offline.
Sumps work very well for extra water volume to the system, they can hide all types of equipment (heaters,skimmer, media reactors).
There is a ton more, but I hope this gets you started.
Please don't think that this place is filled with folks like Saltwaterkeeper. He has been an issue in the past.

jimbousmc

thank you all very much for the help. its nice to get some answers. as i was unsure about what to do. is a 20 gallon sump tank adequate for a 55 gallon

jimbousmc

yeah i am just not quite sure how to go about it. i want benifit of the extra water without paying for a bigger aquarium lol. but seriously the ability to add more live rock hide my equipment and most importantliy keep a healthier aquarium for my live stock would be great and i dont know why everyone does not do it.

jimbousmc

i again am very new to the hobby. about four months of experience. so i still have no idea about some of the things you guys talk about. i am trying to learn as much as i can so anything or any advice that can be given i will take. if possible.

sweatervest13

Hey Jimbo,
Check out Melev's reef (google it.. Not because I am rude, but because I can not post links to other sites...LOL). He has some great sump designs.
As far as an in sump skimmer check out Reef Octopus brand. They are some of the best for the price (although the price is not that low, lol). I have one and would not use anything else... Well maybe one of the super high end ones.

Sumps are pretty easy to make (not saying this from personal experience... I bought mine from a tank maker). But lot of folks have done their own.
What are you thinking as far as a sump design??? Keep us posted!!