sump vs hob

along

So I have been trying to decide if I should go with a sump over my 2 hob bio wheel filters (550 gph) and cant understand what makes sumps better besides the added water volume. If I were to do a sump it would be a 10 gallon tank under my 30 high. Would it be worth doing with a 10 gallon? or just leave the hob filters? just what makes the sumps better then anything else? why are they highly recommended?...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by along http:///t/388337/sump-vs-hob#post_3424371
So I have been trying to decide if I should go with a sump over my 2 hob bio wheel filters (550 gph) and cant understand what makes sumps better besides the added water volume. If I were to do a sump it would be a 10 gallon tank under my 30 high. Would it be worth doing with a 10 gallon? or just leave the hob filters? just what makes the sumps better then anything else? why are they highly recommended?...
It's a great place to hide unsightly equipment..like the heater, ATO, dosing pumps...etc...etc.. and an insump skimmer is 100% better than any HOB (I speak from experiance) dosing the tank with additives or doing water changes can be done through the sump and not stress your critters at all. All those hoses and wires are hidden.
Sumps are easy to reach, add water volume and require the least amount of maintenance.
I have had HOB, canisters and in tank filters. The sump beats them all, I'm so happy that I went with a sump now on both my tanks. other filters work fine, but if you CAN go with a sump...do it, I made a little refugium chamber for pods...best little thing in the world, refugiums.

along

So is there any real mechanical filtration? or should I leave a least one of the hob filter down in the sump area? I do agree with the cosmetic part that is the real reason I wanted to do one if you look through my pictures you'll see what I'm talking about. Its hideous I hate all the cords. Would a 10 gallon be ok for a 30 high? I should also include that I will be starting a reef tank that's another reason for doing this.. so excited....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by along http:///t/388337/sump-vs-hob#post_3424383
So is there any real mechanical filtration? or should I leave a least one of the hob filter down in the sump area? I do agree with the cosmetic part that is the real reason I wanted to do one if you look through my pictures you'll see what I'm talking about. Its hideous I hate all the cords. Would a 10 gallon be ok for a 30 high? I should also include that I will be starting a reef tank that's another reason for doing this.. so excited....

The mechanical part is the skimmer. I have a 20 high tank on my 56g column, I divided that tank into 3 chambers (skimmer, return and refugium) and a 24g on my 90g reef (it also has an 18g refugium fed into it) so I'm sure 10g for a 30 will work great. You do need to make at least one baffle dividing the tank to allow the skimmer chamber to hold a certain level of water.
On the 30g tank if you don't have one already. The Tunz Nano for $150.00 is a perfect skimmer (for up top 60g). That's what I used on my 30g long. That skimmer works fantastic and no microbubbles. The cup holds plenty of skim and just sits right in without a hassle. Its foot print is only 3X5 and 9 inches tall, and it has a magnet so it stays at the level you place it in the sump, eliminating the need for a stand.
Oh and it is pod friendy, it won't chew them up. I read that someplace, I seed my tank for pods in the refugium so that was important to me.
P.S.
You should see what the back off my 90g looked like before I went with a sump...it was loaded back there.

along

ok sounds good I think I will be making my own this weekend sometime time. Would it be a good idea to run the bio wheel in the sump? I like to over filter if possible... ill post some pics when I'm done with the build.

along

OK so I TRIED!!! to make my own sump design and it looks like a 5 year old did it but I cant help I'm not creative or good with computers haha so here it is. give some feed back if you don't mind.. Its kind of blurry....would this work for a 10 gallon sump or am I being to ambitious. Also its not done to size yet. I Just wanted a little feed back before I went nuts with it.

1guydude

Honestly sumped is the way to go! Im currently running a HOB filter in one tank and a canister on another! My gf and I are buying a house and im in the process of getting a 20L drilled and plumbed to a 10gal sump. My 75gal is drilled but not plumbed and will be going to a 50B sump!
Ive drawn a pic of how mine are set! No laughing!

along

hahah were both obviously not computer savy........ How do the blue prints look? I also wanted to ask what size pump should I purchase for a 10 gallon sump?

along

Ooo wow that's impressive thank you that's awesome.... ill be the first to let you no how it comes out.. Thank you again.

al&burke

Just remember when you are getting your glass to measure the inside width of your tank, the dimensions on the drawing are outside dimensions. Good luck - also make sure that your skimmer and pump will fit as well.
Also forgot - what size drain lines are you going to run from your DT - the corner pieces for the inlet to the fuge and skimmer are sized for a 1" pipe. Might be a bit big for your tank. If you are using smaller pipe just make sure the glass piece are sized accordingly.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/388337/sump-vs-hob#post_3424707
Just remember when you are getting your glass to measure the inside width of your tank, the dimensions on the drawing are outside dimensions. Good luck - also make sure that your skimmer and pump will fit as well.
Also forgot - what size drain lines are you going to run from your DT - the corner pieces for the inlet to the fuge and skimmer are sized for a 1" pipe. Might be a bit big for your tank. If you are using smaller pipe just make sure the glass piece are sized accordingly.
Take two pieces of card stock paper...put them inside the tank and place them edge to edge in the aquarium and tape the paper (the space is too large for one sheet) this will give you an inside template that you can measure for baffles. This is what I did for my 30g and it worked great.

along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388337/sump-vs-hob#post_3424746
Take two pieces of card stock paper...put them inside the tank and place them edge to edge in the aquarium and tape the paper (the space is too large for one sheet) this will give you an inside template that you can measure for baffles. This is what I did for my 30g and it worked great.
OK that's a good way to get am exact measurement. How thick should I get the baffles cut? Iwas planning on going with 3/4 inch for the pvc pipe. Is that to much still?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by along http:///t/388337/sump-vs-hob#post_3424802
OK that's a good way to get am exact measurement. How thick should I get the baffles cut? Iwas planning on going with 3/4 inch for the pvc pipe. Is that to much still?
I went with the same thickness of my tank glass. I know you can't use window pane glass.