sun coral

granny

Not too much light(shaded from brights) med water flow, feed each polyp individually when open-small chopped shrimp with zoe is what I feed or sometimes a 'wash' of invert food.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Granny
Not too much light(shaded from brights) med water flow, feed each polyp individually when open-small chopped shrimp with zoe is what I feed or sometimes a 'wash' of invert food.

How often do you have to feed it? I'm considering getting one but I've heard it's a pain to feed them.

emmitt

I feed mine every day. Frozen cyclopeeze soaked in selcon and zoecon 5 days a week, Mysis shrimp 1 day and Krill 1day. Is a pain but definitely worth it if you find a nice one.

tboy

chopped shrimp?

emmitt

I mash some krill and mysis thru an egg strainer and soak in zoecon and selcon 2x a week, the other 5 days its frozen cyclopeeze soaked in selcon or zoecon.

wangotango

i found that mine opened up more during the day when i had it in higher current (not blasting). i thaw out some mysis and turkey baster each polyp 2-3 times a week. another easy way to feed them is to take a plastic container that fits over the coral, cut some holes on the bottom, then turkey baster inside the holes so that the food stays inside the container, and not all over your tank.

oceana

this is an untrue statment. lighting means nothing to this coral. it will not harm it nor will it gain from it. the rest of the statement is correct.
it is not a coral for beginer or a lazy reef keeper. they demand direct feeding and care. you can view my thread feeding and care on sun corals with a quick search

emmitt

Originally Posted by oceana
this is an untrue statment. lighting means nothing to this coral. it will not harm it nor will it gain from it. the rest of the statement is correct.
it is not a coral for beginer or a lazy reef keeper. they demand direct feeding and care. you can view my thread feeding and care on sun corals with a quick search

Very true! Alot of people on here consider me(or at least my alter-ego) somewhat of a sun expert but i learned everything i know from reading oceana's threads. Low light, i believe to be a myth from my experience as well as needing medium flow. Mine is in direct light with very little flow and is doing great. As long as you have pretty good water quality and feed AT LEAST every other day(really every day), they will flourish.
In the past month, there have been alot of posts of REALLY nice suns. I think people have started avoiding them because of the myth that they cant be kept which is a shame since most will say they are 1 of the most beautiful corals out there. They are fairly easy to keep but just take some effort. Would be nice to see them make a comeback in reefer's minds and not fall into the same category as goniopora, chili and elegant corals.
p.s.- I'll post some new pics i took last night in a few hours.

jawfish101

I love mine! I feed it every other day - mysis and cyclopeeze one day, chopped plankton and cyclopeeze the next. I have black, yellow, and orange polyps and they are all beautiful. They arent hard, they are just demanding.
Good Luck if you get one!

emmitt

Originally Posted by Jawfish101
I love mine! I feed it every other day - mysis and cyclopeeze one day, chopped plankton and cyclopeeze the next. I have black, yellow, and orange polyps and they are all beautiful. They arent hard, they are just demanding.
Good Luck if you get one!

Can you post a pic? Dont see many black ones ***)

alyssia

I have a quick question. How long can a sun coral go without being fed? What if you go on vacation? I was considering getting one but I frequently go camping for 3-4 days at a time in the summer.

emmitt

Originally Posted by alyssia
I have a quick question. How long can a sun coral go without being fed? What if you go on vacation? I was considering getting one but I frequently go camping for 3-4 days at a time in the summer.
i think thats ok as long as hes fed REAL well before you go and when you get back.
I mean really, How can anyone say that is not an AMAZING coral. Every reef tank should have a nice sun. So many times people post "what can i get to add color?", No question, get a sun coral.
p.s.- dont mind my crappy camera or red algae breakout