Sureflow Maxi Jet Mod

U

underdasea

I was thinking about purchasing one of the Sureflow/AlgaeFree mods for one of my Maxi Jet 1200's but wanted to get some advice prior to doing so.
I have a 55 FOWLR (although I may add some coral soon). I've completely stripped the tank down, cleaned it up, and have started putting rock back in (and yes it is recycling even though the water's never been out of it). I'd like to put 4 Maxijet 1200's in the tank to assure good movement. My thoughts were to put 2 of them high in the tank to agitate the water surface and 2 of them low in the tank to keep the crap off of the substrate. As it currently stands, the 2 at the top of the tank don't really agitate the water surface as much as I'd like - hence the reason for me contemplating the Maxi Jet mod.
My question is whether or not the modified MJ 1200 (which will push out 2000 GPH) will blow the water straight across the tank or if I'll have to worry about it being too powerful and ultimately cutting a hole in the substrate?
I know that may seem like a ridiculous amount of flow in a 55, but if I can get by with it, I'd like to give it a shot and maybe take one or two of the powerheads back out after I determine what they're going to do.
Anyone out there with a Sureflow mod have an answer to this? Does the mod push it straight out or does it rotate? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

acrylic51

I know quite a few people that have used the mods and have been happy with them, but don't know if they actually push 2000gph like qouted....I think alot of it depends on how far down you have them mounted in the tank....Depending what your planning on keeping in the tank, I don't think it would be to much for an SPS dominated tank.

danweb

i wouldn't think it would be too much, but i would think about getting better powerheads. korilia 4's are pretty good and put out alot of water (1200g/h) in a wide pattern, they also come with a magnet mounting system that makes it very easy to adjust the direction of the water flow.

fatboyjoe

I ordered 2 maxi jet mods (1200) for my 90 gal reef yesterday. I think I might of made a mistake in getting these. after futher research,checking other sites, I found alot of people don't like them. some say they are so noisey you can here them in another room.some say the flow is way too strong and kicks up a wicked sand storm and went back to the regular powerheads. I hope I didn't just throw my money away on these mods. I would love to here comments from owners of these mods. Any way to correct these problems?(mod the mod) please reply.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by fatboyjoe
I ordered 2 maxi jet mods (1200) for my 90 gal reef yesterday. I think I might of made a mistake in getting these. after futher research,checking other sites, I found alot of people don't like them. some say they are so noisey you can here them in another room.some say the flow is way too strong and kicks up a wicked sand storm and went back to the regular powerheads. I hope I didn't just throw my money away on these mods. I would love to here comments from owners of these mods. Any way to correct these problems?(mod the mod) please reply.
I'm with you on this. I am kicking around saving some serious coin and get the MJ mods or just choke my wallet and get the two EcoTech power heads.
The ecotech are a boat load of money but they seem to be the king of water movement.

xeniaman

these mods are great, I have 3 in my 240 reef. My tank is 30 inches tall and the surface agitation is excellent, and I can't hear them at all. Make sure you get the sure grip magnets for less hassle. The new mods come with two different props 1600 and 2000. These powerheads push more gph than the koralia-4's as I have one as well. Two of these mods would work in a 55 as long as the flow is directed off of the front glass.

fatboyjoe

240 gal. is a hugh tank, I can see them working for you.but anybody out there running 2 1200's in a 90gal. or so? also, I'm thinking of using diy magnets to attach the powerheads, 4 magnets for about $20.00 to save some money. besides rust, is there a downside to mounting powerheads this way? Also, has anybody found a way to kind of throttle down the flow of this mod some?

fatboyjoe

also,anyone who had a problem with noise and vibration, what mounting type were you using and what did you do to fix it. thanks

gregghia

I have the MODS from both Eco and Sure Flow. They both work great and push a ton more water then without, not sure actual amount. The Eco MOD does not want to stay on and keeps twisting off which makes noise so you wither have to superglue it tight but then you are stuck or rubber band it.
The one thing most people don't think about is the MOD itself is cheap but the MODs don't come with anything to mount so you spend $20-$25 on the MOD and the powerhead uses same suction mount it came with so its stuck to the side of the glass. If you want the powerhead in the middle to effectively control flow then you have to get a magnet as well but thats another $20.
By time you add it up wether you already had the pump or not you are going to spend $45. Probably just smarter to go with Koralia's or something comparable that have it all for same price....

fatboyjoe

I'm getting the eco. mods with swivel mount for $17.00 each and magnets for $5.00 each, that's $27.00 each for the complete setup. I think that's a good deal. my concern now is the noise,vibration and sand storms that some people are experiencing and how to deal with it.

detroit

I have a 55 with 2 maxijet 1200s. I put the eco mod on both of them along with a magnet mod. I did have to reposition them and I did get a sandstorm at first, but after playing with the position the tank settled down.
The flow increase was dramatic. I nolonger have dead spots, the whole surface is agitated nicely, and the skimming seems to be working at a steadier rate.

detroit

They are in opposite corners (front left, back right) aimed along the front and back glass. One is low, the other is halfway down, both aimed up slightly, maybe 10-15 degrees up from parallel with the ground. The water ends up flowing counter clockwise.
Aiming them into the corners, or at the glass produced a huge snowstorm.

fatboyjoe

that sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd like a powerhead near the front glass. there's got to be a way to defuse the flow. maybe some sort of screen type material I can put on it to get the flow just right. I'm sure someone's allready done this, just waiting for them to chime in.

thangbom

these mj mods are the best thing flow wise if you already have mj's hanging around.. i have 5 moded mj's in my 155.. no sandstorm.. it's all about how and where you point them..
( and yes, i do believe they push the 1600 gph with the small prop and 2k with the dumas 3004.. you just have too see the thing in action.. that and i have read plenty of test done by people to see what they can do)
YzGyz

teresaq

I have the Gulf Stream II mods on my mj1200's and love them. The mounts have a swivel so you can position them the way you like.
T

reefmate75

i have 2 of the sureflow mods...they work GREAT...as for them rattleing i had to puddy them on or they would rattle and vibrate lose and that makes a big mess, 2 things i dont like about them is if you buy the mods they point stright down so that part sucks, you have to use the mag attachment, and they dont fit tight to the Power head...other then that i used to have 4 power heads in my 765g, now i have 1 mod in there and 1 rotator head...i also tried them on the MJ 400 and the flow output is the same with the 400 as with the 1200 so if your buing a all new setup, buy the cheaper MJ400s

and i placed both of mine at the bottom back of both corners pointing up and out tords the frong glass....massive swells and eddies in my tank

harris28

I have two MJ MODS in my 75. One is a MJ 400 and the other is a 900. I have no noise from them other than when you first turn them on. Then they tell you to move the power head to the surface and it stops the noise which it does. The noise was coming from the propeller hitting the stop but once you move it to the top it will stop then you can put it where ever.
I would not recommend putting on in the front and one in the back on opposite. The ocean does not move in one linear motion. You want non linear motion. What I do is place them as high as I can in the tank and on opposite sides facing right at each other. This gives a good non linear motion which you can see my torch coral flows in all different directions and you can actually see the current change.
I did have a nasty sand storm but once I figured out to place them as high as I can it is all good now. You will at first have tons of crap floating around but that will end after a couple of hours. Trust me, you, your fish, and corals will love them!!!