Sweet Squamosa!!

emusinky

I just got my first clam!! It's the squamosa SWF had on sale this week. It's even nicer than I expected. It's a about 3 1/2 inches and opened as soon as it was in my tank. Now I have a couple of those dumb questions....
What is dangerous to a clam as far as livestock? I have 2 GSM clowns, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 lawnmower blenny, and a few blue leg hermits. I was hoping to add a tang but read they could nip.
Second question: I put it on the sand bed but does it need to be propped up to face the light? Picture is my avatar.

meowzer

WOW...I ordered one too...I will get it Tuesday....I'm really glad to hear that you are happy (I knew they'd be good ones)
Good luck with it....
I think what you have should be fine....just make sure the crabs don't crawl on it...lol

nycbob

shrimps might pick on it. the mantle should be facing the light. i missed the $29.99 sale. guess i need to check daily.

emusinky

Thanks for the help! I faced it up to the lights and it wasn't too happy at first. Now it's looking good!
Meowzer.. let us know how your clam looks when you get it. I'm am so happy with mine. I hope yours is as nice.
I'm not the best with pictures but here's one as it sits today. I love they way it reacts to any changes in the light. It does make it a little harder to get a good shot. I just wait a minute and it opens back up.

t316

Nice clam.
I have never had any luck keeping these things alive personally, but most people do just fine with them.

meowzer

Meowzer.. let us know how your clam looks when you get it. I'm am so happy with mine. I hope yours is as nice.
Will do....I should get it tomorrow, and be ready to take pics tomorrow night

i bought the same one as well, i have a question to the other members who bought one from swf.com on that 29.99 sale. Im assuming looking at the two pics all the clams were about the same size around 3" and am wondering if they need to be spot fed or if there big enough to get the energy from the lights. Thanks any reply will be appreciated.

meowzer

I have been told (and I have read) that 3" and over do NOT need to be spot fed....I also would like to hear what other squamosa owners have to add...

pbnj

I have a 2.5" Maxima (8 months), a 6" Derasa (6 months) and an 8" Derasa (3 months).....I've never spot-fed any of them.

nycbob

i hv never spot fed any of my clams. no need if u hv fish, since clams will feed of fish poops.

jackri

I can never remember the name of the culture but I believe the yellow one (for those who have cultured phyto and iso and etc will know) is great for clams. I also believe cleaning the glass walls is beneficial to clams too but I can't prove it :)

luamada2008

I got one on the sale and it is just gorgeous.. I have read about them for years and my tank is now almost 2 years that is why i thoght I am ready, but still scared. I bought the liquid hytolankton and i was wondig how oftenshould i feed it tthe clam? thanks