SWF boards just not the same!

scott t

I would first like to Thank You for creating a place where people who share the Love of SWF to go to share their knowledge, experience, advice and help others who have questions. I joined the boards a little over a year ago because I was looking for a place that I could go to gain knowledge about SWF and their care. When I first Joined the site I was over whelmed with all the information that was here for me to read through so I could learn from others who had experience in keeping SWF. It was a God send when I found the site, because I had visited other forums and to my dismay a lot of those other places most people on them were not willing to take the time to help others that were new to the hobby. I could come on the boards here everyday and there were hundreds of post that I could sit and read through to gain knowledge, now you are lucky if you come on here and have 30 new posts to read through. The community was thriving, it was growing. Don't get my wrong I love the boards and have no intentions on leaving, I have gained some very good friends on here and the people on these boards I feel are truly willing to help their fellow SWF Hobbyist because of their love of the Hobby. I could come on here and ask a question and within minutes could have 10 people who answered, now your post could sit there most of the day without a response, if you are lucky you might get 1 or 2 people who will comment on it. I know that is not your fault and you are only trying to make the community better by up grading the boards, but what can we do to try and make the boards the same or even better than they were before?
There have been suggestions to bring back the Trading/Selling section of the boards. ( that section was gone before I joined the site) I never did learn why you chose to get rid of that section of the boards. I am sure you had your reasons, but why not bring that section of the boards back. I know that when you have a section like that you may lose some of you business because you are here to sell products to make money, and I truly understand that. Why not bring that section back and charge a fee? Maybe you could charge a fee for to people who are selling based on the price of the item, and for those who are trading charge a flat fee. I think this may enhance the community, and make it grow again. Many people have mentioned this and some have come here looking for a section like that. Maybe you could send and Email out to the members of this site asking them what they would think about something like this, to see what type of responses you might get. This is only a suggestion of a way that might make the community grow and thrive again. Also, maybe you can have more special offers for members on the boards like maybe a monthly specials that only the members of the boards get, This may also make the community grow and thrive. These are just a few suggestion that I have and maybe other members who read this post will have others also.
I just miss the old SWF community.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and keep up the good work that you are doing for those who Love the SWF hobby.
Scott

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the great post and your carefully thought out ideas. We have always liked the vibe on here where everyone could communicate in a positive manner.
We are committed to making the community grow and welcome ideas from the membership.
Scott

desertdawg

I must have missed why everyone left, but I think there's still some great people here, hopefully with time those that are still here can grow this into another great forum. There's way to much knowldge in this place to just let it die.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com http:///forum/thread/381545/swf-boards-just-not-the-same#post_3329435
Thank you for the great post and your carefully thought out ideas. We have always liked the vibe on here where everyone could communicate in a positive manner.
We are committed to making the community grow and welcome ideas from the membership.
Scott
I Thank you for taking the time to read my Post and responding to it. As I signed on tonight I went to the New Hobbyist section and there was a special for Forum Board Member. I think that is a really good Idea. I just am trying to make suggestions on how to make the boards grow and thrive. I agree with Desertdawg there are really some truly amazing people on this board, that have a wealth of knowledge. I just want to make sure that the boards retain them. It would be a great loss to the SWF community here if we were to lose some of these members.
Thanks again,
Scott

florida joe

I think it boils down to the old boards being like an old pair of jeans they just feel so comfortable. I for one would love to have my old jeans back

S

smartorl

Well, first we need moving avatars......then we need Crimsy to come on and talk about how wonderful his marriage is.

I think the realization of watching "girls weekends and girls vacations" play out as we were all scratching our heads really was where SWF jumped the shark............

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381545/swf-boards-just-not-the-same#post_3329613
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/thread/381545/swf-boards-just-not-the-same#post_3329605
I think it boils down to the old boards being like an old pair of jeans they just feel so comfortable. I for one would love to have my old jeans back
I for one would love to fit into my old jeans

I think we should also ban mexican food...aka BURRITOS

i for one dont care what size your jeans are as long as i can get into them oh no did i just get banned from the site for life

scott t

Smortal and Meowzer you two are just to funny.. Thanks for making me laugh and making my day.. Today was a rough busy day at work, so coming here and reading this has made my whole day!!!

gemmy

S

smartorl

Guys, I am starting to get a soft spot for Little Chimichanga Wanna Be.............

florida joe

wow lois no come back to my jeans request
come on guys good burritos are full of it and we have one of the best

monsinour

banning imature children is a temporary fix. It prevents them from creating a new logon how? even if you track IPs, its not like we cant switch them. I have 3 MACs available to me to get 3 different IPs. THen there is the MAC spoofing program to generate even more IPs. Maybe there needs to be an age checker thingy in the account creation process to weed out people. Heck, even an essay to the admins would keep out people who use the term peeps or meh or 0.o or o.0 or any of that shorthand crap.

S

smartorl

As I have stated before, most forums ask for the users to use proper english. Most forums, this one included, have members from all over and english may not be their primary language so the chances of them understanding chat/text speak is greatly diminished. It's not like there is a teacher grading the posts, perfect isn't neccessary, but capitalizing at the beginning of a sentence, punctuation, and using full words and sentences help people to understand the thoughts you are trying to convey. We do have members from other countries who post here, it is simply not fair that although english isn't their primary language, they try so that they can gain knowledge, which is why we are all here in the first place, not to babysit. I have a soft spot for kids, especially needy ones, which Burrito seems to be, but this has gotten ridiculous.
What is beyond irritating to me is when a new member or an old member for that point, who use chat/text speak if that is even what it is, no punctuation, few full words, tons of little icons, and has diarreah of the fingers and starts 20 threads, none of them understandable, makes sarcastic comments as to why no one is answering, opens several old threads on the same subject asking something, then starts pouncing on every new thread on the same subject with more and openly and defiantly object to being asked to make their posts more understandable.
In my opinion that person, once the pattern presented itself, should have been given a stern warning to clean it up or offer an explanation as to why they choose to post that way. How can people make corrections if the problem is not pointed out? What seems as crappy coming from the members and prompts verbal sparring back and forth in many cases, could be quietly handled and come from a place of authority that hopefully would make the person think twice.
A lax board is not always a happy board. Rules should be in place and enforced to protect the current members from those annoyances.
I personally don't feel I should have to weed through 20 posts, when there are only 25 updated in a day and find that "meh 0o, fishys" crap in every one. I know that I can't be the only one feeling this way.
I by no means think banning is the answer in the case of someone not a true troll unless they are openly and agressively disrespectful of other members or fail to follow forum protocol after several documented warnings. Correction is the answer and we can't expect people to be respectful in all cases, especially in the case of kids and teens, if there isn't any guideline or action taken.
And this goes for older members as well. I strongly feel that the little vigalante action would stop if things were addressed instead of running on so long that frustrations spill over. To be told that the ignore button should be used in some of these cases is insulting to me, who has remained a loyal member/customer to SWF. Ignore is not a replacement for moderation. These things are legitimate concerns not a personality conflict.
Right now it seems a little like the lunatics are running the assylum.