SWF.COM Ordering Discussion pulled from Show off your tank(s) thread

pegasus

I heard they're great algae eaters. I'm really not a fan of them but may give it a shot. I'm coming up with a list now for my next $60 order for free shipping (otherwise shipping is $40...yikes!).

I'll probably get more emerald crabs but they're far cheaper on ebay. With shipping they can be had for $5 a piece vs $9 a piece here. That's a little high for these.
$60 gets free shipping? WHERE??? I saw a site that had 50% off all corals, but when it came time to check out, overnight shipping was $60, which completely wiped out the big savings. Last stuff I ordered was overnighted for $45. They lost a customer...

jc74

$60 gets free shipping? WHERE??? I saw a site that had 50% off all corals, but when it came time to check out, overnight shipping was $60, which completely wiped out the big savings. Last stuff I ordered was overnighted for $45. They lost a customer...
This site, actually. The catch is you have to order $59 of stuff from the free shipping store, then everything in your order is free shipping. Sometimes that number changes but it's been $59 every time I've checked for a while.

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/category-free-shipping-store

However, it's a bit misleading. My last order came to about $61 for the inverts and pygmy angel, but then they charge a $7 packing fee and a mandatory $5 priority fee. So it's really not free, but $12 beats the regular price. Not sure if other sites have those surprise charges at the end or not. I've only ordered from here.

pegasus

This site, actually. The catch is you have to order $59 of stuff from the free shipping store, then everything in your order is free shipping. Sometimes that number changes but it's been $59 every time I've checked for a while.

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/category-free-shipping-store

However, it's a bit misleading. My last order came to about $61 for the inverts and pygmy angel, but then they charge a $7 packing fee and a mandatory $5 priority fee. So it's really not free, but $12 beats the regular price. Not sure if other sites have those surprise charges at the end or not. I've only ordered from here.
I see. It's usually $89.99 for the free shipping items. Those "additional" costs tend to be a deal breaker for me. Just give me a decent price for shipping, or free shipping, and let that be it...

Bryce E

I used to only purchase from SWF about 5 years ago. Within the last couple of weeks I went to place an order here again and included the 5 frags for $9.99 and was placing the minimum $ in marine life to get free shipping. BUT you had to either put in the code for the coral discount or the code for the free shipping. You could not do both. So that has definitely changed since the last time I was a customer. I could not believe that I couldn't get free shipping even on a $250 purchase if I wanted the corals that were on sale. I had to choose one or the other.... so I chose nothing. I did not make the purchase and I used the chat to ask about it... they took my name, email and number and said a manager would contact me to discuss. They never did. Things have certainly changed since the last time I was a customer that's for sure. I used to order tons of stuff here and would direct my friends/people to the site. I am very understanding about what a business can and can't do in order to have the margins in line. But I definitely think someone should have reached out to me like they said they would have... that's just good customer service.

pegasus

I used to only purchase from SWF about 5 years ago. Within the last couple of weeks I went to place an order here again and included the 5 frags for $9.99 and was placing the minimum $ in marine life to get free shipping. BUT you had to either put in the code for the coral discount or the code for the free shipping. You could not do both. So that has definitely changed since the last time I was a customer. I could not believe that I couldn't get free shipping even on a $250 purchase if I wanted the corals that were on sale. I had to choose one or the other.... so I chose nothing. I did not make the purchase and I used the chat to ask about it... they took my name, email and number and said a manager would contact me to discuss. They never did. Things have certainly changed since the last time I was a customer that's for sure. I used to order tons of stuff here and would direct my friends/people to the site. I am very understanding about what a business can and can't do in order to have the margins in line. But I definitely think someone should have reached out to me like they said they would have... that's just good customer service.
I have ordered several items from SWF, but not lately. When other sites offer similar deals but don't gouge you on shipping, it's understandable that people will go with the best deal(s). If you remain oblivious to this fact, it will cost you customers. I placed an order for five corals totaling $226 on Saturday, because there was free shipping... but mainly because I could see the actual corals I was purchasing (instead of using "stock" pictures), and there were NO extra fees for packaging, heat/cold packs, etc. All the corals are complete colonies, completely healed, and have been quarantined for 30 days. I hate getting fresh cut, fresh glued, and immediately shipped out corals, as these corals have been stressed to the max and survival rates are greatly diminished. ORA corals are usually much better, but come at a premium price. My point is... offer quality items at decent prices, and remain competitive on shipping rates, and you'll retain customers. Many of us have to operate on tight budgets, so we're always looking for the best bang for the buck. Just my 2c...

Let say you order two separate orders, both should good for free shipping (Coral = $60 +149), some thing is missing in here By the way, Maria will get what you want, she always taking good care of me.

Last edited:

jc74

I was thinking about trying reefs2go. Their prices are good and they have a lot of free shipping deals, but I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about them getting orders wrong and items arriving cold and dead. I may try them anyway when the weather gets warmer.

I used to order things from SWF all the time. They usually arrive healthy (only one dead emerald and one firefish out of maybe 6 orders). I don't like the way the site is now. They have that stupid sale timer telling you to hurry up and order before it expires. Then when the timer runs out, nothing changes so it's just a mind game. And they send you emails saying there's a special deal only for certain customers, when it's a deal for anyone who makes a purchase right on the home page.

That and the hidden "free shipping" charges rubs me the wrong way. I didn't realize they did this until checkout with my last order. Just keep it straight forward and don't play people for fools. If it wasn't for the fact that things usually arrive healthy and shipping is reasonable at times I wouldn't bother.

But I guess this is getting off topic.

Last edited:

pegasus

I was thinking about trying reefs2go. Their prices are good and they have a lot of free shipping deals, but I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about them getting orders wrong and items arriving cold and dead. I may try them anyway when the weather gets warmer.

I used to order things from SWF all the time. They usually arrive healthy (only one dead emerald and one firefish out of maybe 6 orders). I don't like the way the site is now. They have that stupid sale timer telling you to hurry up and order before it expires. Then when the timer runs out, nothing changes so it's just a mind game. And they send you emails saying there's a special deal only for certain customers, when it's a deal for anyone who makes a purchase right on the home page.

That and the hidden "free shipping" charges rubs me the wrong way. I didn't realize they did this until checkout with my last order. Just keep it straight forward and don't play people for fools. If it wasn't for the fact that things usually arrive healthy and shipping is reasonable at times I wouldn't bother.

But I guess this is getting off topic.
I might get in trouble for saying this on this site, but I've used R2G many times. The truth hurts, but it follows what I mentioned earlier about deals. They've always worked out any issues I've had with them, and the owner even contacted me once with about an unresolved issue she discovered after doing some personnel changes. However, that's the site I mentioned earlier that is having a 50% off all corals sale, but is charging $60 for overnight air delivery, when it usually cost me $45 for overnight shipping via FedEx. When sites start jacking around the shipping costs, I start having problems with buying from them. I know costs change for them on occasion, but if USPS can keep their rates steady, I don't see why the major parcel/package delivery services can't do the same. In all honesty, I believe they do, and I'm more likely to believe that it's a bit of cost shifting the vendors are doing to pad the bottom line.

Yeah... we've gone a little off topic...