Swimming in my new Shark Tank!!

gibbus

Nice tank
How many gallons it? and what species of sharks are you planning on putting in it?
Thanks for sharing the photo with us
:eek:

novice150

Thanks everyone for the kind words on my tank:)
The tank is 1600-1700 gallons, depending on how high I decide to fill it. An inch or two makes a big difference.
I plan to keep a bamboo, smoothhound, leopard, and a black tip.
(I know its not big enough for life, please see my thread in DIY)
I will definitely take pics of me with the sharks!!:D I think that'll be the best part! Living in Colorado, you don't get all too many chances to say you swam with sharks.

novice150

Hey Jim, for sure! I'd really like to meet you. The tank will have sharks in it by then for sure. I'll try to save up all my question for ya till then:) Joke.

splash1914

I dont get jealous of other peoples tanks, but I must say I am with yours! where did you put it? what type of filtration are using? how is it made?

novice150

Well I'll take that as a compliment then:D :D
I plan to post detailed pics of the construction, and write how I did it in the DIY section. Dont want any mods getting upset:) I'll basically post as much as people wanna hear, I could talk about it forever just ask my wife.:D
The tank is essentially a thick plywood tank, with a double 4x4 frame on the outside. It has several coats of fiberglass, and 3 coats of 2 part epoxy.
The tank is in my basement on concrete. For filtration, I will be using a 300 gal sump, a 6' x 12" life guard skimmer, and a sand filter designed for small pools. I am still tossing around ideas for decor, sand, and other means of filtration, so I am open to suggestions.

splash1914

Where does the sump go? How are you getting the water to the sump? I thought I was crafty by building my stand and cutting the hole in the wall..... you gotta get more pics up... just the one is teasing us...

novice150

The sump and all equip goes behind the tank. There's a good amount of space back there. I will be cutting holes in the back side of the tank for overflows (3.5") and returns (2" I think). I'll be installing quite a few plastic bulkheads. Lots of plumbing thats for sure.
Jim27: Thanks:D
Pics are up now on msn. Here's the link. When you get to the main page, click on "pictures". There are to pages of pics. I don't have all of the pics labeled with descriptions yet, but I will.

rane

Novice,
That is a great tank...please post how you did it so others can follow again that is great

thats is awesome you should get people to come and swim with your sharks and charge them ? just kidding congrats on the new tank very nice can,t wait to see the pets , good job :D

rockster

Nice first fish...is that reef safe? :D
I couldn't have imagined the real dimension of the tank if you (or that fish) weren't in it. Can't wait for the shark pics! With that huge tank, I'm going to stock up on salt myself. Afraid salt may be rationed after you're done with it.:D