Swimming in my new Shark Tank!!

novice150

Grouperhead and Rogeta: Thanks :D
Indy1: I used 1 1/2" acrylic.
Bronco: The name of the LFS is Sherman Tanks. I should also tell you that when I took that tank back, I measured it, it was not 170 it was 150.
Here's their # 303-427-1019

silkks11

Hey Novice, I would really love it if I could speak with you and get the exact step by step plans for that tank, I'm planning on making one larger than yours for my basement b/c we are redoing it. I would just really like to know how everything fit together, where to start and so on. Thank you very much. My e-mail address is Silkks11@aol.com

novice150

Not yet. Im still working on the filtration. Been a little strapped for time and $$ lately. Story of my life! lol

hnf2k

how is it that for you having a 16-1700 gallon tank it only cost you about 1 thousand dollars more than it cost me for a 180 gallon?

novice150

Scott: I will, I promise:D
HNF2K: Well, cause I built mine:D And, you are probably including your lights and filtration in your total. My prices so far are for the tank only. For instance, my sand, pumps, and salt are going to cost me another $1,800. :eek: ouch, I just scared myself.

hnf2k

no i wasn't. it cost me 1600 bucks for my tank w/stand, glass canopy, and the light fixtures. 4 single standard fluorescent without bulbs.

seaguru

BRAVO to you Novice and thanks for all the interest and posts (here and in the DIY section) you have generated by sharing your dreams come true! I hope to follow your lead someday... Joe.

novice150

Actually, yes, I do have an update. I bought my pumps, finished building the sump, installed the bulkheads, and completed 90% of the plumbing. I'm picking up my salt tonight, and have refilled the tank to about 75%.
The only things I have left is to purchase/wash the sand, finish plumbing my overflows, and run electricity behind the tank. That will get one of the two 5000gph pumps running, and at least start the tank. Im waiting to receive my UV's and fluidized sand filter. They will be installed on the second 5000gph pump on a closed loop. The plumbing for that pump is 90% as well, just waiting to tie in the two filters.
I found a skimmer, its over 6' tall and 6" dia. It will be powered by a submersible pump in the sump, and return to the sump. The skimmer is a venturi design, and I modified it with a mazzai venturi.
I'll be using 16, 48" flo lights. Half of the lights will be daylight and the other half actinic. They will be regular shop light fixtures and ballast's, purchased from Home Depot.
If all goes as planned, the tank should be circulating salt water by this Saturday, and finished (lights and all) by the following weekend. Then its time to start drywalling, and make this a true "in wall tank."
I've got lots of pics of the plumbing and filtration, I'll try to post them tonight.

seaguru

Hello Novice,
Glad to hear things are coming together for you... I just wanted to bring up a minor concern. I don't know what size/wattage of UV bulbs you plan on using but if you are planning it to have a flow rate off a 5000gph pump I'm afraid your UV's will be almost useless as there will not be enough exposure time to have much effect. Just thought I'd bring this up in case you missed it with all the other priorities you have on your mind. Joe.

novice150

SeaGuru: Yes, I had thought of that. What I did was build manifolds for each pump. There are a total of 5 returns to the tank. 2 on one pump, and 3 on another. Each of these returns is on its own line, with a valve to restrict flow to that line from the pump. So in short, I can restrict the flow to the UV as much as needed. :)