Switching Back to CC

artista

Anybody out there ever make the switch back to CC from DSB? I knw of a new 125 that we are debating the advantages. Yhe owner had SW tanks years ago and really likes CC. Has anyone gone back to CC? Thanks:D

dugan

I set up my last tank years ago with CC and have regretted it daily since. I'm now finally in the process of moving the whole thing to a new setup with about 4" DSB. I wouldn't do a CC substrate again.
Katie

wrassecal

I don't think I"d ever want to deal with CC again either. Have you considered a shallow sand bed and have the dsb in the refugium? I think that's how I'll set my next tank up.

stargazer

i have been reading alot about substraight it seems some people are going back to bare bottom or small amount of substraight they blame deep sand bed for algae blooms some are useing deep sandbeds in refugium only i have a deep sand bed it is ok right now tank is only running for 3 months good luck on whatever you use

i have had crushed coral in my 100 gallon and have had no problems, it has been set up for about 5-6 months. it seems to be fine

shr00m

the problems dont come in 5 or 6 months. they come in 2 or 3 years, sometimes sooner.... the CC will hold a whole lot of deitritus and the nitrate levels will begin to climb.... DSB coupled with about 1.5 lbs per gallon l/r is one of the easiest to maintain setups, imo

rwhite

We also have CC base. We experienced large algae blooms for a few months, but now its under control. How bad can it be with a decent clean up crew, reg. water changes and a vacuum every once in a while? We'd love to know 'cause I'd hate to have to try to change everything to sand:( . I just don't know if we have the time or resources to do it. The more info the better.

ga8233

I started out with a DSB in my 125g tank. It didn't stay white and always looked "dirty." I couldn't keep it looking nice, not even with a good cleanup crew. after about 3.5 yrs I switched over to CC. We've been happy with it. I have since added 2 horse shoe crabs and will probably add one more. They seem to keep the CC churned up.
From what I've read here, most people prefer sand. I'll keep mine the way it is unless I start having real problems. Had it this way now about 8 months. Gina

bigmac

The thought now days is that a deep sand bed in a main tank isn't a good long term idea (3+ years) Having a shallow sand bed, bare bottom or even a thin layer of CC seems to be the way to go for LONG TERM success. A deep sand bed in a fuge is a better choice because its much easier to change out.
The thought is that a DSB is a giant sponge and over time just can't absorb any more.

chinnyr

I've had my cc for about 3 years.I have even moved my tank twice in the past year with no problems yet.We'll see!:rolleyes:

wrassecal

IMO - CC v Sand is an aethestic choice. If you like CC and don't mind the siphon cleaning it requires there is nothing wrong with it. Some people also go with a larger size aroganite sand in a shallow bed.

T

thomas712

The only time I ever want to deal with crushed coral again is if I use it in a calcium reactor.
I agree with Wrasscal and Bigmac's posts.
Thomas

lesleybird

Hi, I have had CC without problems as long as I vacuumed it every two weeks. In my new ninety gallon I decided to go with a shallow bed of the 1 to 2 mm. sized agronite sand. Have only had it up a little over a month, so don't know for sure how I like it yet. I experimented before I set it up and found that this size agronite can still be vacuumed with most vaccumes without being sucked out of the tank if it gets too dirty. Lesley

jlem

Originally posted by shr00m
the CC will hold a whole lot of deitritus and the nitrate levels will begin to climb.... DSB coupled with about 1.5 lbs per gallon l/r is one of the easiest to maintain setups, imo

If you vacumm out the C/C when you do water changes you are completely removing gunk from the system which would prevent gunk from ever building up. If you never do a water change and never vacumm the C/C then eventually it would cause problems. Besides the vacuming there is no maintenance with C/C really. You vacum the C/C when you change out water anyways so it is really no more effort than a regular water change woukd be. The only thing about C/C is looks and some people like it and some people don't.

shr00m

there are many dsbs that have been successfully up and running for over 10 years, the people at reefs.com (not a business) are very knowledgable about dsb, beleive me the choice between CC and DSB are NOT only for looks... a DSB will break nitrate down into nitrogen gas , which CC will NOT do, because there is no anerobic zone in a CC bed. i know its a ongoing debate, but... one thing you dont do with a DSB is vacuum, comparing a DSB to a sponge really isnt a good comparison, because a properly setup DSB will break down deitritus and release nitrates via nitrogen gas that would be locked up in a CC system (ESPECIALLY UNVACUUMED!). of course your dsb didnt stay White, CC doesnt stay white either, it gets coraline on it.... natural isnt white, some people just dont get that, not a flame so please dont take it that way.

bigmac

there are many dsbs that have been successfully up and running for over 10 years, the people at reefs.com (not a business) are very knowledgable about dsb, beleive me the choice between CC and DSB are NOT only for looks... a DSB will break nitrate down into nitrogen gas , which CC will NOT do, because there is no anerobic zone in a CC bed. i know its a ongoing debate, but... one thing you dont do with a DSB is vacuum, comparing a DSB to a sponge really isnt a good comparison, because a properly setup DSB will break down deitritus and release nitrates via nitrogen gas that would be locked up in a CC system (ESPECIALLY UNVACUUMED!). of course your dsb didnt stay White, CC doesnt stay white either, it gets coraline on it.... natural isnt white, some people just dont get that, not a flame so please dont take it that way.

No flame taken...everything you said is old news that most reefers should know...my new tank will have a very shollow sand bed only because I'm setting it up long term.
I've never heard of Reefs.com but most of the guys at Reefs.org and -- believe in "Old Tank Syndrome" and the cause is thought to be a DSB.. I've never had a reef running for longer then 3 years (upgrades or moves) My new tank will be my last, I'm not willing to move a bunch of sps because I failed to listen to guys I trust.

jlem

of course your dsb didnt stay White, CC doesnt stay white either, it gets coraline on it.... natural isnt white, some people just dont get that, not a flame so please dont take it that way.

When I was in Guam snorking the Sand was as white as snow everywhere around the reef, and I know that the holets around the reef don't clean the sand for the tourist. In my first few tanks that had C/C, I would vacumm the C/C and it would turn the C/C bed over and it would look nice and white again for a couple weeks. Then I would just take the 15 minutes and vacumm it again during the water change and wallah it would be white again.

shr00m

of course the sand is white because its constantly shifted around, and if you wanted it to be white you coudl have a clean up crew, if you feel like vacuuming all the time and constantly disturbing your substrate then i say crushed coral is for you.

shr00m

the only good thing about CC is it gets coraline all over it and looks really cool, but if your constantly disturbing it it will never turn that color, thats whati meanby white is not natural, of course the sand is white.... because its constantly being moved by the OCEAN