Talk me out of it!

supalupa

I'm considering getting a small powder blue tang. Somebody please talk me out of it! Ive heard they are ick magnets. Has anyone had much luck with this fish.
I'm aslo considering a flame angel. Another possible problem with corals.
Specs:
125 gallon tank
Large Naso
Mandarin
Various corals(Frogspawn, Organ Pipe, Mushrooms, zoos etc.)

jfarris

Our flame does not bother our corals. And I think it would have plenty of room in your tank.
We had a powder blue and it died after only a few days. They really are very sucseptible (sp?) to ick, but they are beautiful. Good luck.

i<3fish

How old is you tank? If it is 6 months or older, and you havent had any ich outbreaks, then I would say go for it!

mrdc

DON"T DO IT OR I WILL SEND THE TANG POLICE TO YOUR HOUSE ....
Scared yet!! Or at least I hope to to talk you out of it. My friend with a 46g had a Naso and got rid of it when it got too large. He was able to keep it for 1 year before doing so but the only fish competitor it had for size was a yellow clown goby.

i<3fish

I dont understand! He has 3 fish in there! Why cant he add 1 more? I think he will be fine as long as his tank is mature.

mrdc

Both fishes are recommended for 120g or larger (for each fish). That's my concern. They are both big fish at maturity.

alyssia

I thought tanks were supposed to be set up for 6 months before you get a tang. (Seriously)
My flame also doesn't bother my corals

supalupa

I will add some copepods if I feel the Mandarin is going hungry but he has been in there for approx 1 month and I still see copepods swimming around. Never heard of having to have your tank up for 6 months before adding a tang I could be wrong. My tang is doing wonderful eats out of my hand. My corals seem to be doing great and I am growing corralline algae all over the back glass already. I guess my tank is moving along quicker because a lot of the live rock I purchased was from a tank that was just torn down and it was covered with a thick layer of corralline algae.

i<3fish

When I said 6 months, I meant it for the PBT and tangs like that. Ones that are very sensitive to water quality, and suseptible to ich.

S

surfinusa

i put that :notsure: , because im not sure how a tang and mandarin can be in that tank thats not established

wesa

Tell you what, the secret to keeping the blue hippo or any other tang clean is make sure you have cleaner shrimp. They end up being best friends & amusing besides the shrimp taking care of the other fish. As I read it you have a 125 tank so our 'friend' who's calling for the tang police needs to reread what was said. My 'Dori' has done very well in my 125 for the last few years & the shrimp have kept her clean as a whistle. She had ICK pretty bad when I rescued her. She is the queen of the tank & very darn healthy besides fat & sassy.

supalupa

Just got home from the lfs and they didn't have a Powder Blue or Flame Angel. I think if I ever do get one it will probably be the last fish I add. Thanks for all the advice. I did get 4 percula clowns, two good size rocks coverd in zoo's and a hammer coral which has six heads to it, 3 of which look like doubles so I believe they are splitting. Will try to get some pics tomorrow after everything is settled in. Took a 3 hr. trip to SanFrancisco for a wholesale to the public day at a lfs. Unbelievable deals!

supalupa

Probably wont ever be getting a flame angel now cause I heard they eat clams. Wasn't going to add clams cause I didn't have the lighting for them but now I will be getting my 72" metal halide, power compacts, and moon lights by the end of the month so I should be able to keep clams.