Tang Police, Need some Advice.

rook

Hello All,
I am currently contemplating upgrading my reef tank to either a 65 gallon (36"L * 18"D * 24"H) or, a 90 gallon tank (48"L * 18"D * 24"H). I would go, no brainer, with the 90, but it will be a bit big for the space. So, size wise for the room, the 65 seems the better idea. However, the wife wants me to get a tang. She prefers the Blue Hippo tangs. I like the powder blues.
Anyways, what tangs could I keep in the 65 gallon, and what tangs could I keep in the 90 gallon?
Also, are there any other larger fish (angles, foxface, butterflies, etc) that I could keep in either of these tanks, that are reef and clam safe?

tangpolice

There are no Tangs that are likely to thrive long term in a 3 foot tank (the 65 gallon).
The 4 foot tank isn't long enough for most Tangs either. A Yellow-Eye Tang will do fine in a 90 gallon. A Yellow or Purple have a pretty good chance of doing OK as well.
A Hippo probably won't do well and the Powder Blue has almost no chance of doing well for more than a few years.
Pygmy Angels will do great in either of those tanks as long as there's enough live rock to graze on and hid in. Usually they don't bother corals or clams but occationally one will develop a taste for LPS or clams.

rook

What about a White-Cheek or Powder Brown Tang? I have read places that recommend a minimum of 80 gallons for them?
Also, you mention long term. I guess I never thought about it, but is it possible to have one for a few years and then trade it in for a smaller one at the LFS? Is this considered bad husbandry?

hariii2

You could trade one in for a smaller one every year or so, but the lfs will ---- you. Maybe give you $20 store credit for a $50 fish.

rook

Bump.
Thanks for the opinions and advice so far. Any one else have their opininos? Not to knock or discount those I have but I have learned enough to know to seek out several opinions and tried and make an educated decision based on them all. So far my on-line research is showing about 50/50 that I can have a few types of tangs, or that I cannot have any.
Thanks again, and has anyone had any experiance with the white cheek / white face tang?

bang guy

The White-Cheek aka Powder Brown is very similar to the Powder Blue Tang. Not the easiest fish to keep even in a larger tank.
I'd recommend growing fond of the Kole Tang. They really are the only Tang suited for the mid-sized tanks.
Just my opinion.

sailfin

White Cheek and Powder Browns are two different fishes with the White Cheek being the easier of the two to keep, based upon my readings. I agree with all said here. Although the Kole could be kept in a 4 ft tank easily.

sailfin

I didn't mean that correction in an offensive way, Bang. I just have been reading in my "Marine Fishes" book lately and remember seeing those two in there.
:D

bang guy

No offense taken. Common names change all the time so it's tough to stay up-to-date unless I get corrected once in a while.

rook

So, just the kole? What about a yellow, or hippo? What about a desjardini? And, is it the consensus that I could not get away with any of them in a 65 gallon? Or could I still get the same tangs in a 65 as in a 90?

ophiura

I think the above statements that the Kole is really the only one for that size tank truly means that any others are not suitable :) IMO, a hippo or yellow are OK only for very short periods - perhaps a year or two if they are tiny as many are these days (a couple of inches). But "show" tangs of decent size, no...only the Kole works, IMO.