Tang Police!

hammerhed7

flame would do fine in your tank, I would just make sure you have plenty of live rock, and let the tank mature for at least 6 months, the angels do better in a mature stable tank.

jeffr259

While we're on the topic of tangs and tank size....I have a Sailfin (non-Red Sea) on hold at my LFS until my tank gets to cycle for a bit longer (3 weeks old). The Sailfin is about 4" in diameter now. Its a 120g FOWLR....will this provide enough room?
Thanks!

m0nk

Originally Posted by JEFFR259
http:///forum/post/2617511
While we're on the topic of tangs and tank size....I have a Sailfin (non-Red Sea) on hold at my LFS until my tank gets to cycle for a bit longer (3 weeks old). The Sailfin is about 4" in diameter now. Its a 120g FOWLR....will this provide enough room?
Thanks!
Yes, that will be fine. I would, however, be sure that you have plenty of live rock and definitely feed algae sheets daily. One of the concerns with tank size is the amount of live rock that has sufficient algae growth on it. Also, the more mature a tank is, the better the algae growth you'll have. Tangs will graze on that algae all day if they can, and since the tank is young there won't be much algae at present. The trap here is that if you have a young tank with minimal algae growth, and a tang comes along eating it all quickly, it won't have the ability to mature well and have sufficient algae growth over time. That's why you'll need to feed quite a bit of algae sheets to allow for the rock to grow a good bit of algae. I'm not saying you'll never have good algae growth, just want to be sure you keep all that in mind.

jeffr259

Thank Monk for the fast reply. Great advice

I currently have 100# of LR in the tank, with 150-200# as my goal. Algae growth is slow right now (mainly light brown), but my Turbos handle it easily at this point....
I will wait for a little while and when the time is right, not just when I want to, I will bring the little guy in

airforceman

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2617408
flame would do fine in your tank, I would just make sure you have plenty of live rock, and let the tank mature for at least 6 months, the angels do better in a mature stable tank.
I'm transfering all of my LR and LS from my 12g JBJ into this tank so that will establish it a little more than just a "brand new" tank. Then I'll wait a couple months and get him. It'll be a huge reef so he should have plenty of LR. I'm planning on like 50lbs.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Airforceman
http:///forum/post/2616020
There's a mated pair of nasos at my LFS. They're both about 12" and one with streamers is about 15".
$999 for the mated pair and $799 for one lol.
They actually posted on a secret forum that whoever came in to get them would get them half off if they bot the mated pair, the person just had to tell them that they heard the offer on the forum lol.
This kinda bothers me. The breeding habits of tangs need a high water colum because they use the change in water pressure to expell the eggs from the female. As the swim real fast upwards towards the surface. I dont see how any place can sell a mated pair of tangs because they can not breed in the home tanks. So to me this is false advertising. It is a pair of course but not a mated pair IMO>
Just had to add that.
Mike

airforceman

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2622937
This kinda bothers me. The breeding habits of tangs need a high water colum because they use the change in water pressure to expell the eggs from the female. As the swim real fast upwards towards the surface. I dont see how any place can sell a mated pair of tangs because they can not breed in the home tanks. So to me this is false advertising. It is a pair of course but not a mated pair IMO>
Just had to add that.
Mike
Well I talked to one of the guys there and he said that they have been together since they have been alive so they might just be brother and sister and they don't want to separate them lol

michaeltx

that would make since but to call them a breeding pair to me is deceptive.
they would great addition to a tank with enough room for them though,
Mike

bigbills

I've got a question about this issue. I have no intention of putting a tang in my 55, but I am just curious as to what would happen if you put a fish (like a tang) in a tank that is too small for it. I don't mean a full grown fish, but a juvenille one. Will the lack of space kill the fish, stunt its growth, stress it, or make it vulnerable to disease?

michaeltx

all the above.
unlike alot of peoples thinking years ago a fish does not stop growing with tank size it will continue to grow but at a much slower rate and eventually start to stress the fish opening it up for disease and parasites to invade. Tangs also suffer from HLLE which is contributed to diet and tank size which really messes the fish up.
There are alot of things that go wrong that a person cant see so the idea is they are healthy which in fact they really arent.
HTH
Mike