Tang success in a 55 gallon???

dedecv3

I have a 55 gallon reef tank that I am currently setting up and have fallen in love with Tangs. My 3 favorites are the Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo & Sailfin. Can I have all 3 of these in my 55 along with 2 Clowns or would that be too much?? I have about 75 lbs of LR & my flow is about 1200 GPH.

browniebuck

I have to agree...from experience with my own 55 (1st saltwater tank), tangs just aren't very happy in a 55 and generally, when they aren't happy, they aren't healthy and end up suffering and ultimately, unless an upgrade is very near, they will more than likely not survive (I am sure that there are some people out there that will say that they have had success but they are the exception rather than the rule).
I would recommend 2 clowns, a 6-line wrasse, a dwarf angel (unless you are going for a reef...many angels will nip at corals), a couple of cleaner shrimp, and maybe an urchin of some sort, a couple of porcelain/anemone crabs (many people say that these hide, but mine were always front and center, especially at cleaning time), if you nix the angel, maybe a few green chromis...you just have to stay with fish that will stay smaller...bigger fish like swimming room, and while it may seem that when they are little that 4 feet is plenty, you have to realize that they won't always be little (it initially sucks when you find out that you can't have the fish that you want, but you then get to get creative!!!)

matth2181

also would have to say nay to even one in that tank. tangs are very touchy, and things gotta be perfect because as soon as they get stressed, they get a infection of some sort and die, and i would hate for you spend a lot of money for one and nothing to show for it. 55 gallons will fit some butterflies nicely, clowns obviously good, some gobies, etc.

dedecv3

From what i've read I dont think I can do Butterfly's, I am going to have lots of soft corals.
This is my first saltwater so I'll see how I do with this one for 6 months or so and then i'll probably look for a nice 125 or bigger so I can get my tangs. Got a good deal on my 55 but I've since seen even better deals on CL for much bigger tanks.
Going tomororw to look at and more than likely buy 400+ lbs of LR for 50 cents a pound along lots of soft corals, pumps, powerheads, heaters, etc. Guy I know is breaking down his 125 reef tank (no fish) and is getting rid of everything but the tank itself so i'll probably end up buying everything. He is selling it all very cheap because he is moving and needs it gone by the end of the weekend.

florida joe

also would have to say nay to even one in that tank. tangs are very touchy, and things gotta be perfect because as soon as they get stressed, they get a infection of some sort and die
This is IMO a false blanket statement. What if it was the only fish in the tank ? and we are not taking into consideration the experience of the hobbyist
I am sure that there are some people out there that will say that they have had success but they are the exception rather than the rule).
it this your opinion or some documented fact
also would have to say nay to even one in that tank. tangs are very touchy, and things gotta be perfect because as soon as they get stressed, they get a infection of some sort and die
this IMO simply is not true

florida joe

No. Clowns are fine, none of those tangs should go in a 55.
This is IMO a false blanket statement. What if it was the only fish in the tank ? and we are not taking into consideration the experience of the hobbyist
I am sure that there are some people out there that will say that they have had success but they are the exception rather than the rule).
is this your opinion or some documented fact
IMO this is simply another blanket statment that simply is not true

moondog

That sounds like a steal on that live rock, I am a couple of hours from Harrisburg, and I would make the trip for that.

dedecv3

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/3143018
That sounds like a steal on that live rock, I am a couple of hours from Harrisburg, and I would make the trip for that.
I have not yet seen the tank or the rock yet but the guy is a customer of mine and is far from cheap so i'm sure its nice stuff.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3143015
This is IMO a false blanket statement. What if it was the only fish in the tank ? and we are not taking into consideration the experience of the hobbyist is this your opinion or some documented factIMO this is simply another blanket statment that simply is not true
I usually avoid tang tank size questions; but I sure had a couple that thrived in a 55 before someone told me I couldn't do it. Of course, they died the next day.

mopar9012

this is what i dont get.
people say that it is about the length of the tank so the tangs have swimming room
well for 90s people say yes............90=48inches
for 75s people say that you can.....75=48inches
55s are a big no..........................55=48inches
i thought it was about how long the tanks are? just something Ive never gotten.

noah's nemo

I always wondered about this also.I had a tang in my 75 for 2 years before i upgraded,all was well.If it had been a 55 i would have still got a tang

srfisher17

Originally Posted by mopar9012
http:///forum/post/3143054
this is what i dont get.
people say that it is about the length of the tank so the tangs have swimming room
well for 90s people say yes............90=48inches
for 75s people say that you can.....75=48inches
55s are a big no..........................55=48inches
i thought it was about how long the tanks are? just something Ive never gotten.
I agree, I've always considered the swimming room to be the big deal. Tangs are herbivores and produce more waste than carnivores (the exact opposite of most folks opinions); but with just one tang, bio-load isn't the problem. This will be one area that will still be around long after we're gone. I've been in the hobby for about 35 years and this was an ongoing argument when I started.

dedecv3

So it appears there are strong arguments both ways. With only 2 or 3 other fish in the tank I may just give ONE Tang a shot and see how it goes once I know my tank is fully cycled.
Out of the Yellow, Sailfin & Blue Hippo which will be the smallest as an adult? I noticed SWF.com recommends 75 gallons for both the Yellow & Sailfin but only 40 gallons for the Blue Hippo.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3143086
I would honestly go with the yellow.They are a dime a dozen
,but probably your best bet. JMO

...........and you have to leave one on the floor for about a week to kill it. But, I think a Kole is really the only tang to consider for a 55.

small triggers

My opinion is unless you are planning to upgrade within a few years i wouldnt try any of those 3 tangs, they all get large. I have to agree that a kole would be a good substitution to keep in the 55. I have had a kole for over a year and it has barely grown,,,,

florida joe

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3143048
I usually avoid tang tank size questions; but I sure had a couple that thrived in a 55 before someone told me I couldn't do it. Of course, they died the next day.
I LOVE YOU MAN. damn I wish i posted that

lietz06

If you just HAVE to have one, get one that stays smaller like a Kole tang or I think the cheverons(expensive) also stay smaller. Someone else might know a couple others that sites say you can keep in a 70 or 75 gallon. I personally wouldn't go with the yellow..on most sites they say 90-100 gallons. If you really want a yellow they're on sale right now on swf.com...so at least it wouldnt be a buncha money your flushing down the toilet if thats the type you really have your heart set on. I bought a juviblue hippo tang about a month before I was going to do my upgrade from my 55 to my 200. Needless to say, it died a couple days later. I don't know if it was the size of my tank or what but I'd def say if you really want one get one of the smaller types. Let us know what you decide!