Tang Survey

jktenpro

Purple, 3 1/2", 9 months, 90gal(for now), Formula1,2, mysis, squid, spectrum thera +, Julian Springs sea veggies green, Ocean Nutrition brown algae

kevin34

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Purple, Powder Blue, Yellow, Achilles for 4 years went from a 300 to 240 tank.
Have you ever had any health problems with your powder blue?

acrylic51

Yeah had ick when I got him and had to keep him quarantined almost 3 months with the ick......Finally put him in the MT, and of course you have your normal routines with the tangs, and he had a slight outbreak for 2 days and nothing ever since......Feed plenty of greens IMO.....

kevin34

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yeah had ick when I got him and had to keep him quarantined almost 3 months with the ick......Finally put him in the MT, and of course you have your normal routines with the tangs, and he had a slight outbreak for 2 days and nothing ever since......Feed plenty of greens IMO.....
Is ick differnt from ich? If so what are the symptoms? Is one worse than the other?

M

mlandrigan

It is interesting that the largest one somebody has reported is Dogstar's 6 inch hippo. Does anyone have one larger than that? We all hear the warnings about watching out because tangs get so large, but do they really get that large in captivity, no matter how big the tank is?

anthropo

Originally Posted by mlandrigan
It is interesting that the largest one somebody has reported is Dogstar's 6 inch hippo. Does anyone have one larger than that? We all hear the warnings about watching out because tangs get so large, but do they really get that large in captivity, no matter how big the tank is?
well i can tell you that i havn't had my oldest tang a year yet so give mine some time. i guarantee my vlamingi will get huge.

pontius

they get to about 10" in captivity. I've seen plenty for sale in that size range.
I've got:
yellow tang, 2 years, 5 inches
hippo tang, 1 yr 3 months, 5 inches
orangeshoulder tang, 5 months, 6 inches
sailfin tang, 3 months, 6 inches
they are in a 180. looking at Dogstar's list makes me want to get more, but I think I've got enough.

stanlalee

well I guess I'll participate:
Tang 1: Regal
size initial: 2"
side now : 3"
owned: 10 months
tank:3ft 30g 9 months, 6ft 100g 1 month
ich: a few bouts the 1rst 2 months, then never
aggression: postures occasionally when feeding.
Tang 2:powder brown (japonicus)
size: 3.5"
owned: 3wks
ich: never
aggression: none
food:
am: dried seaweed salad green 3"x1" strip rubberbanded every am
pm: frozen emerald entree each day mixed with any of the following: frozen marine quizine, vit enriched brine, squid, mussels, krill, formula 2 pellets, formula one pellets, tetra marine pellets.

bang guy

I also don't see any 20 - 40 year old Tangs listed here.

psusocr1

Sailifin Tang-6.5
foxface-7.5
blue hippo-7
unicorn-8+
blonde naso-4.5-5
all these measurments are withint he half inch,, some maybe longer
my largest is my unicorn whom is at least 8 inches + not including his horn
also ive had them only about 2 years maybe less but i bought them as big tangs and they have since grown alot as well..but they do eat like fat pigs!
they reside in my 300 gallon

acrylic51

Originally Posted by psusocr1
Sailifin Tang-6.5
foxface-7.5
blue hippo-7
unicorn-8+
blonde naso-4.5-5
all these measurments are withint he half inch,, some maybe longer
my largest is my unicorn whom is at least 8 inches + not including his horn
also ive had them only about 2 years maybe less but i bought them as big tangs and they have since grown alot as well..but they do eat like fat pigs!
they reside in my 300 gallon
Unicorns get huge....I've seen them 12+" before.....

psusocr1

ya hes a big boy!i had a 6 inch ruler on the tank and when he swam by he was alot bigger than that so i put a 12 inch ruler ont he tank and he was a bit shorter than that ...he truly is a beast..
hey acrylic my hous eis only 2 minutes from the fragswap so if you want you can swing by and take a look at them

acrylic51

Sounds cool PSUSOCR1!!!!!!!!! My buddy is suppose to ride along with me if his girlfriend lets him come out to play!!!!!!

lane2800

purple tang, 4-5" have had him for 2 yrs. until recently he's lived exclusively on algae produced by the tank and rock. i recently added a pair of clowns and started feeding them thera+a
he eats that as well. he had great color living off the tank, and was healthy, just hope the added food doesn't send him backwards

ironeagle2006

I had a 7+ inch Blue Hippo til I lost my entire tank setup in August due to a massive storm that killed all power for 3 days in my area. He started off as a 3/4 inch litte guy from ***** and last me 3 years surviving Everything til that. Now I have a pair of Yellow 1.5 and 2.5 inches a Blonde naso Male 4 inches seeing streamers in it already. A 7 inch Sailfin and a 7 inch Blue hippo tang. Tank is a 150 with a 40 gallon sump and 10 gallon Fuge.

saka bra

i have:
2 nasos~ one is 4 inches(fatty) and the other is like 11 inches
1 blue hippo tang~ 7 inches(fatty)
i have them together in a 150 gallon and have had them for over a year
i feed:
salifert energy plus pellets, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, spirulina shrimp, squid, 50/50 mix, formula foods variety, bloodworms, silversides, krill, dried seaweed. they eat everything except for baby clams

myerst22

Okay I'll add my black beauty. Zebrasoma rostratum. I have had him for 1 year and 2 months. He is about 8"+ and almost 2" thick!!! He is a 180. The fish anything and everything. Absolutely loves nori soaked in garlic and selcon. A close second is the large NLS pellets which he seems to go through jars of it. I think that is why he is so fat fron the NLS. I think if you can get a fish to aggressively eat NLS pellets than you are on your way to keeping the fish for a long time. Unfortunately I am moving on Feb. 1st and contemplating selling him before I move. Otherwise I don't know what I am going to do with him or risk the stress that will be caused by the move. Here are some pics of him. When I first started keeping marine fish over a decade ago and then when I managed a fish room for 5 years I always found rostratums so beautiful because of how simple the fish was and then the brilliant blue hue that you can see at certain angles. So year or so ago my diver friend in Hawaii caught one for me and he knew who to call. T