Tangs in "small" tanks pt. 2.

stig

I would really like to get a tang for my 46G tank. I won't get one, however, if I believe the fish will not be happy.
I would be really grateful if people would post their experiences with tangs in similar size tanks. Good or bad. Thanks.

baondayko

Yeah, don't do it...better to let them die in the tanks they are in at the LFS (5 gallons...maybe). Save a Tang!
BTW, I have a small yellow tang in my 46G Bowfront and he seems to be very happy. Of course, I would upgrade to a larger tank when or if the time ever came.
Brock

S

sebae0

i had a purple tang in a 50 gal for 2 years with no problems i got him with the intention of getting a larger tank, which i did and now he's in a 180. in the 50 he was the only large fish about 4" only with a bangaii cardinal and a royal gramma. he did great swam alot and used the caves to swim in and out of. i do beleive in the tang theory knowing how large they can get and how much they swim.

I

ivanfj

Yellow tang is the only one that may do well in a 46 IMO, but still tangs need more swimming room than that. JMO :)

stig

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming but PLEASE READ MY POST. I asked people to post their experiences. I did NOT ask if I should keep a tang in a 46G tank.

I

ivanfj

My friend used to have 3 tangs in a 33. Naso, Powder Brown, Hippo I believe are what they are. The tank is 3 feet long. They all did fine for about 2 months. I believe both the powder brown and naso died and the hippo just outgrew the tank in like 3 months. Although they are not in a 46, just some experience I saw for tangs in a small tank. :) :)

S

sinner's girl

I had a yellow tang in the 55gl b/c I was told I could (i wanted one and we only had a 25gl, the guy at lfs told us a tang would be great in the 55gl).
the tang didn't live long, but I can't say for sure it was b/c the tang was too small. there was only one other fish in the tank (a clown). the clown liked to bully the tang, and I didn't feed it the green stuff (again, was told bad info, I was told they didn't need it, so when we ran out we didn't get more).
I guess i'm saying I don't know 100% why the tang died, bad diet, being bullied or too small a tank or a combo of all three.

luckyk0505

Within small tank.. tangs grow slow in there..
If you can find.. Small Yellow Tang for Blue Morph Tang..
you will be fine with next 3 years

flamehawk

Don't do it.
All these posts stating ok are well intended but unfortunately mis-informed. In addition, to claim that you should "rescue" a tank from the lfs and put him in poor sorroundings is quite ridiculous. Tangs and all fish are just "passing through" the lfs and will hopefully be bought by responsible hobbiests who know that a tang should not be kept in a 46g.
If you do choose to go ahead w/ a tang purchase for your 46, stick to a Kole or YT and GENUINELY BELIEVE YOU ARE GOING TO UPGRADE. Buy him small. While I don't agree, I still wich you luck.

acez28

Stig i guess most of the people that came and replied to your post never took the time to read it. HE SAID HE WANT TO KNOW THE EXPERIENCE PEOPLE HAD WITH TANGS IN SMALL TANKS.
But like i said....my sailfin was in a 29gal for a year. I was misinformed and i know my tank was overstocked but i took care of it. I had a Sailfin Tang, Huma Huma Trigger and a Coral Banded Shrimp in a 29 gal for a year. The Huma Huma and the CBS stayed in the 29gal for about a year and a half. Not saying its a good idea but it can be done.

This is sort of on the subject.... I have a YT in my 75 with a tomato clown. I have a very small (at the moment) spiny box in QT which will go into my 75 eventually....Also, someday I want a 6 line wrasse...
Is this mix OK? I think i am OK with the amount of fish, but I am still getting info about the wrasse.. You guys here seem to like them too.... They are so prety too...
To the question about the tang, I will share my experience with a Tang in a small tank.. My sister wanted a tang for her 20G tank. She bought a YT, a coral beauty and a bicolor blennie.... The Yellow tang was doing fine and acting just fine for about a week. He had always DARTED across the tank.. He began to be very aggressive toward his tank mates being so confined... then he got ICH.. then EVERYTHING got ICH.. and DIED!! THEN.. the tank had ICH in it's system, so every fish she added DIED! SHe had to take the entire tank down and start over..... So, everyone LOST here! ... Hope this helps
Thanking you kindly, Kim

nm reef

I would be really grateful if people would post their experiences with tangs in similar size tanks. Good or bad.
To adress the origional question....I've kept a yellow tang in my 58 gal fish only for just over 2 years now. It is and has always been in great health. No signs of stress or stress related diseases. Would I suggest any hobbiest go out a purchase a yellow tang for a small(55 or less) aquarium...NO!
All to often tangs are added to newly established systems that are not stable ... which can often lead to problems. Plus hobbiests tend to see a tang...like the tang...add the tang...then say.....gosh I wonder what the requirements are to keep this tang alive and healthy long term. Folks even come to this site on a regular basis and say " I just added a beautiful regal tang....can anybody tell me what they eat?"
It is very true that most tangs will grow to rather large sizes...and it is true that they need room to free swim....it is also true that as a general rule they should not be kept in small systems. I would also add that they should never be considered without extensive prior research.
Now...my confession has been made I do keep one...I've had it in a 58 gal system for over 2 years...it is currently about 6" and continues to do well. I might add that its current tank mates are a 4" niger trigger / 5" slowly changing to adult coloration formosa wrasse / and a 2 year old pygmy angel. I would also add that I have plans in place...definite plans...to develope a much larger reef system and as that 150+ gal reef matures I plan to transfer my yellow tang to the new system(where he will join the 4" regal I currently keep in my 55 gal reef)...I knew the risks involved in keeping tangs "long term" in smaller systems...and I took the time to research and evaluate the needs/requirements of the tangs I wanted to keep. My personal opinion is if the proper steps are taken...and if the system is mature and established...and if the hobbiest has the experience and dedication to maintain a quality system then tangs can indeed be kept with success in smaller systems. But....no tang should be kept in any system without prior research and dedication to maintaining needs long term. In addition "long term" survival rates of all tang species are difficult to maintain....and care must be taken to insure adaquate living conditions.
In time both of the tangs I currently keep will be among the 5-6 fish I keep in a 150+ gal reef system...until then they will be adaquately provided for...and closely monitored in the 58&55 gal systems they now call home. Should this method be attempted by any and all....NO! Can it be done ...YES! Is there a "rule" that clearly states "No tang should be kept in anything less than 75/90 gal systems"...NO! Can a yellow tang survive in a 58 gal system for 2+ years with success....YES! Should this be attempted by anybody and everybody...NO!
It has worked for me to this point...and I have every reason to believe it will continue to work...for me. :cool:
Whew....now that I've stepped down off the soap box I want to add that I am not a active member of the tang police(obviously) and I do not suggest that hobbist in general should do as I have done....I just wanted to state my position that success is dependant on research and experience....and maintenance of quality living conditions...and that there are no clear cut / etched in stone rules.:cool:

stig

NM Reef. There is no way I could read your post and not respond. Thank you. Damn, a little bit of honesty goes a long way. You responded to my post, and then, you added a little bit of sugar on top. OK, now, I'll get my tongue out.........
Seriously, from a shark, your post has my admiration. You covered every angle while covering your arse.
Thanks to everyone who responded - who actually took the time to read the post. I already knew what the tang police would say and I didn't need to hear it again. I asked for personal experience which is, at the end of the day, where all these damn rules of thumb come from anyway. If there's one thing I hate it's people spouting other people's rules of thumb as if they were their own without having any idea of where they came from. Be told!!
I would love a tang. But maybe I'll just have to wait till I upgrade.
Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to respond.

fshhub

tangs in a small tank, IMO should not be and tehre should not be any stories to tell. But with taht said,
At work, I care for a 55 gallon which housed a 5 to 6 inch yellow for almost a yr, UNTIL the power outage over Christmas. # days, sub-zero with no power is havoc. Anyhow, she seemed quite happy except for the fact that she loved to swim ALOT. aND BYT THE TIME SHE MOVED, IT WAS TIME TO TURN AROUND, SHE SPENT HOURS AND HOURS PACING, wher eour koles ian 75 gallon(much smaller tang) spends time palying instead of pacing, back and forth in and out, stoping to smell the calupera and play with the other fishes. The yellow, frantically jsut darted straight lines, back and forth, almost never straying form her B-line path.
Ater seeing that, I would never consider putting a tang in anything under 4 ft in length, and would always try to get the larges possible home for them, besides, Larger tanks are more fun for us too.

flamehawk

I'm not sure if the branding of the "tang police" police includes me but in any event if it does, so be it.
I've said on many occasions that some tangs, IMO, can be housed in a 55...YT, Kole and even purple. Some have disagreed which is ok.
I currently have a purple tang in a 55. He's been there for over 2 years and doing fine. I also have a Powder blue in a 55 for over 3 years and he is doing great. I agree that both of these tangs will have to be moved and they will. IMO anything less than a 55 should not be used...but again it's just my opinion.
Many know that I also have a 125 and another 55. In the 125 I have 3 tangs...sohal, hippo and YT. All doing great. The other 55 does not ahave any tangs. I'v'e had all may tangs for 2-4 years and the only one I've lost in the past was an achillies which I beleive are better left in the ocean again...IMO.
I guess the point of this post to give my experiences w/ tangs in "small" tanks and to also set the recored straight that this board is all about sharing experiences which hopefully people learn from and to some extent listen too.
Wow tangs sure get alott of attention on chat boards.....

aquarius 1

I have two 75 gallon tanks and in one I have an Orange-Shoulder Tang, a Powder blue Tang, a Singapore Angel, a Maculosus Angel, and a small Picasso Trigger. In the other, I have a Koran Angel, Niger Trigger, and a Hippo Tang. I have no problems keeping tangs in either of my 75's and I soon plan to add a Powder Brown to my 75 with the Hippo, Niger and Koran. I've been burned for housing these tangs in only a 75 gallon tank, but I'm willing to bet that my tangs are among the healthiest, most active, and most vibrant fish in the hobby. I'v heard an argument in the past about the size of tang territories in the wild and I've been told that its approimately one to two miles!!! But, they constantly graze this area in search of a sufficient amount of food/algae. When you place them in a 75 gallon tang that is 4 ft. long and place a daily seaweed clip onthe front end of the tank, you are therby elimating the need to swim miles upon miles in search of food. I do know that in the wild these fish to get large but I again I atest that my tangs, as well as all of my fish are doing awesome in all of my tanks. And if they ever should come to the point where they do outgrow one of my tanks, I can always dump them into my uncle's 150!!! Its the best of both worlds!!!