Tangs in "small" tanks pt. 2.

acez28

okay everyone has all these rules and things about tangs should not be in anything less than a 55gal. Let's see these 10inch or more tangs. Even the 8" yellow tangs. I always here about they can get xx"s big but i have yet to see ont that big. Lets see some pics.

acez28

As i said b4 i want to see a pic of anyone here that has a large tang. I just want to see one. There arent any big aquariums in memphis. So thats why the hang up on a pic. If so many people claim that they cant live long and get large in a smaller aquarium lets see one in a bigger aquarium that has lived long and is what yall call blarge

fshhub

but a friends who also owns an LFS, has had this guy for over 15 yrs, and he is about 13 inches long.

flamehawk

Aq1- I'll take you up on your bet that your tangs are not amongst the healthiest. You cram all these large adult size fish into a 75 and proclaim your success which encourages others to be as irresponsible. An injustice to the future of the hobby and of course the fish.
This hobby shouldn't be about seeing how many inches of adult fish we can squeeze into a tank and proclaim success.
Success is keeping them healthy and thriving for years not months. I myself have been keeping fish for 30+ years but S/W for only 4. I don't consider myself to be overly successful in s/w husbandry yet but am setting myself up for longterm success by following the principles of fishkeeping....good water quaility, balance vitamin enriched diet, above average filtratin, and LOW STOCKING LEVELS to avoid undue stress levels. You need to pay special attetnion to the last point and measure success in many years not short time periods and snipets.

sammystingray

My regal (morpho) grow to almost 8 inches in a 75....didn't have a digital camera then, sorry. The LFS I took him to sold him for 125 and gave me 50 bucks. Hopefully he has a larger tank now, but.......

imo

First off I agree that Tangs, Angels, and other fish that grow over say 6-8" should be in at least a 90 preferably a 120. However, anyone who says that their 8 inch fish is going to be "A lot happier" in a 90 or 120 verses the 75 is just making excuses for their own concience. All of us are taking SWF that are live caught from the ocean and placing them in tanks that are a fraction of their normal terretorial size. Even the people with larger tanks (500 gallons). Taking a fish that has TRILLIONS of gallons of water and MILES of swimming room and puting it in a tank of X ammount of gallons is not doing it any justice. Having said this, please put your 6-8" (adult size) fish in at least a 90 gallon.

acez28

just because a fish has miles and miles of swimming room doesnt mean they will use it. Most fish stick to a small area to graze and protect.
oh yeah thanks for the pic of the bigger tang. Never actually seen one thats a good size like that.

stacyt

just because a fish has miles and miles of swimming room doesnt mean they will use it. Most fish stick to a small area to graze and protect.
I disagree with this statement. When diving in Hawaii I followed some various tangs around, and beleive me they cover a good amount of territory in the wild. Especially the bigger tangs like unicorns, and naso's. The yellows covered their share of territory as well.
I have a small 2-3" yellow tang. When I originally put him into my 55 he constantly darted back and forth across the tank, and in/out of the LR. I though he was happy, until I moved him into my 240. I noticed a big difference in his personality. He no longer darts back and forth, but takes his time,grazes on the LR, and slowly moves throught the entire tank.