Tangs

jag3365

Just a question on how many Tangs I can have in my tank. I have a 125 and my wife and I agree on a Yellow tang, but she also wants a Hippo Tang and I want a Powder Blue tang. Is there anyway to get all three or are we limited to 2?

vtecbro007

tangs are all very aggressive there are different factors on to how many u can keep but i would suggest u to get only 2 i would go with da blue hippo n yellow tang IMO ofcourse

russianspy

I'd say 2, pick between the hippo and powder (there both blue) and splash that yellow in there..IMO, I'm not very well with tangs...I have one in my 45 gallon against everyones wishes and harrassment, Like always never trust ur LFS

clarksz06

This is just me, but in my 180 gal. I have a yellow tang, atlantic blue tang, sailfin tang, and a sohal tang. They are all treating each other very nicely. It may be because none of them are the boss. The emperor angel keeps everyone under control.
Many people get away with multiple tangs. Just depends on room and how much food their getting. Feeding alot of food often times calms everyone down. There isn't as much aggression towards tankmates when everyone has a full stomach.
I would say you can go with at least two. But don't be surprised at all if for the the first week the newest tang is getting beat up on. They have to work out who has the most dominance.

jag3365

Is there an easier way to acclimate the newer tang? I only have room in my QT for one, so I can't add them at the same time.

yaoming713

i have a 125 and got 5 tangs in it..YT, PT, vlamingi, hippo, powder blue..so far so good..very minimum harrassment..100lbs of LR..a PM skimmer..maybe im a lucky one

ucdpike2001

5 tangs in one tank......125 gallons.....lets be generous 3 inches per gallon 125/3 = 42 inches
yt Max. Size: 8"
pt Max. Size: 10"
Vlamingii Max. Size: 24" (needs at least a 180 gallon!)
hippo Max. Size: 12"
pb Max. Size: 9"

[hr]
5 tangs Total Size: 63"
63" needed and you only have 42"
"Tangs or Surgeonfish, especially those similar in form and color, and should be the only ONE in the tank except in very large systems (125 gallons isnt very large)."
The max # of tangs you should keep in a tank your size is 2 but i highly recomend only keeping one. In addition, these are the max size and most likely the fish will never obtain this size in an aquarium but it will still grow very large. You can do whatever you want but just remeber that these recomendations are given for a reason! You say your "lucky" and i say you still have some learning to do.
-Pike

marineman

i have 5 tangs (yellow, purple, naso, powderblue, clown) for a long time with no problems in a 175g. you do need some experience and knowledge but if the conditions are meet tangs can get along just fine. i read in # books,mags & articles not to mix a purple and yellow tang yet mine actually swim and eat together. once a dominance hiearchy is established these fish can live together fine if their needs and care are being meet!
in a 125g i may try 3 tangs if it is 5 to 6 ft long. if 4ft long 2 would be my goal. good luck:yes: :yes: :yes:

edward

I purchased a 90 gallon tank that came with three in it that the previous owner had in it for several years. Even though this is against the grain, they seem perfectly content. I work at a Zoo and in the aquatics section they have sucessfully kept 6 yellows together in a 200 for quite some time with no problems. Matter of fact, they seem to be doing better within the larger group than those that were previously placed in the same aquarium in smaller groups. Go figure.

ndpb6b

I am going to go against the grain also. I have a Yello, Powder Blue, and a Sailfin. The other tankmates are a maroon clown who has been about 3 inches long for about two years now(male?), a purple firefish, a sixline, two CLEANER SHRIMP (VERY IMPORTANT WITH THE TANGS), and snails and hermits. I agree that this maybe too much but they are well fed, they each have a cave, and lots of swimming room. I watch the water parameters very closely and watch their activity closely as well. If you are going to add so many make sure they are your main focus until they become very familiar to you don't try a lot of new things.
And of course, this is all IMO.

ndpb6b

EDWARD,
Where in the STL Zoo are there aquariums. I just moved here from Columbia(Mizzou)/STL about a month ago. I wish STL had an aquarium.
Thanks
Newt

edward

Our city has the best Zoo (and sports teams, ha!) in the country. If you like animals, you have to go here. There is a small aquatics area in the living world.
There is also an aquatics section in the City Museum, however it is a joke. They spent lots of money on it and rushed it's completion to meet opening deadlines. So it has lots of really neat aquariums that are empty due to loss of livestock. Besides they charge $5 to get in to see almost nothing.
There is a group of individuals that are currently seeking to open a public aquarium along the river front.

robvia

I got much of this same information after I got my Yellow and before I got my Naso.
IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Naso was at least 1.5 times the size of the yellow. The yellow beat the naso all over the tank and finally killed it after about 2 weeks. I mean beat! Fins up. Little knife at it's tail out. Swatting at it when ever they were within 5 inches. It calmed down after a couple days and I thought it might be OK, but one day the Naso was dead when I got home.
When I posted my troubles here, I got ripped for being an idiot and putting a Naso in with a Yellow.
There are many people saying it's OK here now, but be careful. Yellows can be very aggressive and if put in first will be the tank bully. I see many pictures of yellow in with triggers in FOWLR tanks and I now know why. My Yellow is a mean SOB and I would like to get rid of it.
Just one persons opinion, but I wouldn't get the yellow if you want any others. Powder blues need lots of room from what I hear. I think the hippo would be a good choice (I want one also). I have heard they are the worst fish when it comes to getting ich. I'm scared to add anything to my tank right now because of my yellow. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I don't think so.

tjswanson

Everyone has different experiences with tangs. I work at a LFS and have been in this hobby for over 4 years and have owned just about any fish imaginable, including A LOT of species of tangs. Every time you stick tangs together you always run the risk of things not working out. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PERSONALITY OF THE FISH. I have seen docile fish be extremely aggressive and vice versa. If you want more than one tang I suggest putting all of them in at once. That way they are all introduced at the same time and none of them have already established territory in the tank. I have two adult Pomacanthus angelfish (an Emperor and Majestic) in the same tank (125g.) and they get along pretty well. The Majestic chases the Emperor a little bit because she was in the tank first, but they do not stress each other out. That combination should have never worked by most people's standards. The way I look at it is that if something doesn't work out you can always take out the problomatic fish. TJ

bot587

I'm going with TJ on this one. Fish, especially salt water fish have personalities. Any fish could be rated bold and become unaggressive. I work in a pet shop where multiple times our ball python would not eat the mouse. The two actually became friendly. The same thing with aquariums occurrs. The chemistry between two fish can go against all the books. However, i will always recommend sticking to the books. And if you decide not to try and get an aquacultured yellow tang (tank raised) they are much less aggressive than their wild counterparts!