Tangs

showmenow

I have two tangs sailfin and hippo. I want more tangs, I know that you have to watch out for alike body shapes. I saw this 600 gal. tank with Over 100 tangs in it, It a awsome tank. I have a 135 gal. what would be good choice to add to my tank.

2quills

Where did you see a 600G tank with over 100 Tangs? That sounds like way too many Tangs in that size of a tank. Just currious. Did they look happy?

mony97

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3273468
Where did you see a 600G tank with over 100 Tangs? That sounds like way too many Tangs in that size of a tank. Just currious. Did they look happy?
+1 that sounds ridiculous, but I've seen a yellow tang in a bio cube sooo..
oh and my suggestions would be either a Tomini or Kole tang!!

aquaknight

It's called "Hyper-Stocking" (my term, not an official one). The basic principle is that you cram so many fish into a tank, that no one fish can establish a territory, and any aggressive is spread out between all the fish. There several notable problems, the first and foremost, is bioload. 100 tangs in a 600gal is one tang for every 6 gallons of water. That would require massive filtration, and almost hourly water changes to maintain water parameters. The secondary issue for hyper-stocking to work, is that you actually must hyper stock. You can't just have 4 or 5 tangs in a 135gal and expect it to work. The cost for the hobbyist to do this is huge. I really don't think you have $4,000 for a 100 yellow tangs, huh?
There are of course, certainly moral objections. The fish are at constant stress levels. There is absolutely no where to go if a fish "wants to get away" and there's no caves for the fish to sleep in, etc. That is no way, shape, or form, how a fish should be kept.
Most of these tanks are kept at constant hypo or with constant copper in the water. When leads to prolonged health issues.
My advise would be to enjoy the Sailfin and Hippo you have now for the time being. They both will eventually outgrow that 135gal.

aquaknight

That would be goodwin9's tank. While there are 100 fish, I believe there are around only 35 or so tangs in there.
It's quite noteworthy to mention the filtration system he had, and the amount of water changes he did. Secondly, stocking isn't exactly linear. Just because there was 35 tangs in his 600gal, doesn't mean that 10 tangs are going to work in a 200gal, or 5 tangs in a 100gal. Third and finally, to spite the successes that he had, there are us, perhaps even goodwin himself as well, that would suggest not to try it.

meowzer

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3273543
My advise would be to enjoy the Sailfin and Hippo you have now for the time being. They both will eventually outgrow that 135gal.
I would have to agree...I have a sailfin, blue hippo, and yellow tang in a 225G....and sometimes I think the Sailfin and blue would be happier in a larger tank....they get big!!!...My Sailfin is a good 6" if not more...lol...(it won't stay still to let me measure it
) and the hippo is close to the same....they can get from one end of the tank to the other in a split second.....

showmenow

sorry I can't find the tank I thought I read here. looked marine depot didn't see it there? I do to much surffing.

mell

I have a sailfin and a yellow tang in my 125, is the sailfin gonna outgrow it? I'd kinda like to get another smaller tang...do I have the room?

kc19

I have four tangs in my 125gal right now. Shohal, powder blue, sailfin, and yellow. They all seem to get along fairly well mostly because they are all around 3-6 inches. Growing pains are a problem for the future, right now everything is cool. Besides there is no way to actually net a fish in a 125g tank

acrylic51

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3273686
That would be goodwin9's tank. While there are 100 fish, I believe there are around only 35 or so tangs in there.
It's quite noteworthy to mention the filtration system he had, and the amount of water changes he did. Secondly, stocking isn't exactly linear. Just because there was 35 tangs in his 600gal, doesn't mean that 10 tangs are going to work in a 200gal, or 5 tangs in a 100gal. Third and finally, to spite the successes that he had, there are us, perhaps even goodwin himself as well, that would suggest not to try it.
Agree I saw that thread, and I on that same forum if you search JarHead on his build thread he has a pic showing someone with tons of yellow tangs as well.