Tank Broke Yesterday..... :-(

We came home last night to find our fish tank completely empty. My beautiful fish are gone. My blue tang was alive somehow but did not make it through the night. I am absolutley horrified I cant even begin to explain.
My whole house was flooded and we spent all night ripping the carpet out.
I dont know what happened. It must have been leaking from the bottom somewhere because it was totally empty and when we put more water in to it, it just poured out.
I am devastated!

jackri

That TOTALLY!! sucks!
How big of a tank?
Hope this doesn't make you give up on the hobby but that would be devasting

It was a 72 gallon bowfront.
I feel so terrible thinking what my poor fish went through I thought that I might not want to do it again... I dont know. I have lots of live rock and sand still that I would hate to get rid of.

jackri

If you do get another... I would recommend not getting a bowfront... I've heard of them letting go versus the standard rectangular.. and may have been what happened to yours but eeks... still feel awful as I can only imagine.

girlina4x4

Depending on the age of the tank, there might still be a warranty. I would look into that. Sorry about your fishies

Yeah, when we first got the tank after about 2 weeks it got a leak (luckily when we were home that time) and we took it back and they gave us another bowfront but a more expensive brand.
That was about 5 years ago though. We were just thinking about getting a new tank though because my queen angel and blue tang were outgrowing it... They were just the best fish ever, with the best personalities...

snakeblitz33

Aww man, I hate that happened to you. I hope you get back into keeping saltwater fish.
I've had a 3,000 dollar reef tank leak and crash on me before. Not a good thing to happen at all, but I always seem to come through and support my addiction.
Good luck to you and hope you don't get a bowfront on the next round. If it's a bowfront, make sure it's acrylic. Glass bows don't work that well. Have fun!

meowzer

HMMMM as I am reading this I am looking over at my bowfront...ahhhhh...Hey it's acrylic, snake says that's good...phew...
Sorry to hear about your tank and fish, also your carpet.

U

usirchchris

That really sucks. Sorry to hear, but don't give up on the hobby...just a fluke.

scaples

Damn man that really sucks! And it kinda worries me cuz i have a 46G bowfront! I can only imagine the mess that made...sorry for your loss!

Well we went out and bought a used 140 gallon acrylic tank and have been in the process of pluming and setting up the sump. I have always used the (annoying) Fluvals before so this was quite an experience.... With this we have taken super precautions to avoid any leaks or breakage. They say the acrylic tanks dont leak and we set up the plumbing to avoid large catastrophes or draining all the way...
We should have it set up for the live rock tonight. Getting enough water though seems to be a big task because our RO/DI system makes about 3 gallons every few hours and we only have about 20 gallons of jugs so it may take a bit longer but I am excited for the new set up but still am still sad about my fish. They were just wonderful and un-replaceable. Thanks for everyones sympathy. Its nice to have because people that arent fish people just dont understand the loss...

wahoowa

I'm really sorry to hear about your tank, but a note to everyone....STAY AWAY FROM BOWFRONTS. I had the same experience with mine about two months ago. Everything was great, then I heard something hit the floor....turned out to be the water from the bottom. I don't care who has had success with bowfronts, they are BAD NEWS. Good luck with whatever decision you make in the future and again, I'm sorry to hear about the fish.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by seeinstars89
http:///forum/post/2928325
Well we went out and bought a used 140 gallon acrylic tank and have been in the process of pluming and setting up the sump. I have always used the (annoying) Fluvals before so this was quite an experience.... With this we have taken super precautions to avoid any leaks or breakage. They say the acrylic tanks dont leak and we set up the plumbing to avoid large catastrophes or draining all the way...
We should have it set up for the live rock tonight. Getting enough water though seems to be a big task because our RO/DI system makes about 3 gallons every few hours and we only have about 20 gallons of jugs so it may take a bit longer but I am excited for the new set up but still am still sad about my fish. They were just wonderful and un-replaceable. Thanks for everyones sympathy. Its nice to have because people that arent fish people just dont understand the loss...

Good for you! Not only did you get back on the horse but you went bigger and better! Congrats! Cant wait to see PICS!

Yeah, I am kinda excited about the bigger tank because I can get more fish than I had before. There is some pictures in this other thread I started about my confusion on sumps...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=348436
I will post more pictures when I get the tank more situated. We have started to see some of the snails from our old tank that must have been in the sand, so that has been encouraging for us.