Tank Broke Yesterday..... :-(

daninct

I know the feeling. My 75 all glass leaked while I was on vacation. It was pretty well established being over a year old and I had just started getting into corals. Came back and the floor was a mess, smelled like low tide, and the lights being on timers "melted" the corals to blobs.
Good news is I also got a new tank (my 90 gal).
Wife got nice hardwood floor.
Bad news is all my tanks are now in the basement. No more pretty fish upstairs.

Glad that you are not giving up. We all know how that feels.

small triggers

umm more common for a glass tank to leak than an acrylic one, but i wouldnt say leaking tanks are 'common' Hrrmmmm I guess if you are the one it leaks on it would be common??

oldandtired

I am glad you did not give up. No one wants our little buddies to suffer but like phoenix, the snails will start you on a new begining.

Do you think that the snails are going to die during the cycling process in my new tank? I had to use all new water and about 20 pounds of new sand but kept all of my old rock and sand. I dont even really know how long I should expect it to cycle for...

pbnj

Just a side note, that clear tubing you're using for returns will eventually fill up with brown algae.
I know because I use it to import/export from my sump to my refugium. I starting using it a couple of months ago and I imagine I'll have to replace it after about six months.

pbnj

At 2 months, mine's already "ugly". Don't know how long it will take to clog (or if it ever will).
Don't know if you want to take the chance given your flooding experience!

OK so I had my LFS check my water for me yesterday and this is what he came up with:
Ammonia: .60
Nitrate: 50
Nitrite: .1
it has only been running since Tuesday.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by mpdan
http:///forum/post/2933501
is a leaking tank pretty normal or a rare case?
Catastrophic leaks like seeinstars are fairly rare, but this isn't the first thread of it happening.
Minor cracks are more common, but less tragic.
Seeinstars, glad to see you made lemonade from the lemon.