tank cloudy

80 gl tank has been up and running for 4 mo. all the chemical readings are great. but my water some days its clear then the next day its not. there seems to be alot of brown tint debris to the water. I have a over flow to the refuge with a skimmer, a lg piece of lr and a return chamber. any ideas how to clear it up?

gypsana

It may be detritus blowing around from your wave maker. Is there debris floating on the top when the tank is clear?

i have noticed in some refugiums there is some kind of foam in between the chamber deviders. is this to reduce debris? and what kind of foam is it? would this help my problem or is a baceria breeding ground?

gypsana

Originally Posted by waterdogjenn
http:///forum/post/3014757
no. would I still be having a detrius out break do they come and go?
Detritus gets stuck in the crevasses of the live rock and can get blown out no matter how long a tank has been set up. Personally I would avoid the sponges/foam ( can be nitrate traps) and put a filter sock over your flow line that goes into the refugium. If you do that you have to make sure to clean them often, they collect a ton of gunk. How much is your skimmer collecting?

the collection cup has about 1/4 inch every 2 days. i have cut back on the feeding I think i was feeding to much seaweed. but you know the hey i'm starving look they give you. lol

florida joe

can be nitrate traps
how does one go about trapping nitrates ? All this time I thought they were in our water and not fixed to anyting in our system

gypsana

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3015644
how does one go about trapping nitrates ? All this time I thought they were in our water and not fixed to anyting in our system
Filter media, crushed coral, sponges,bio balls, etc. can collect detritus and cause nitrates to increase if not rinsed often.

florida joe

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/3016386
Filter media, crushed coral, sponges,bio balls, etc. can collect detritus and cause nitrates to increase if not rinsed often.
So where are these nitrates found? Should not detritus be eliminated no matter where it is found via good husbandry? And if not is the hobbyist not the nitrate factory proliferator

gypsana

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3016404
So where are these nitrates found? Should not detritus be eliminated no matter where it is found via good husbandry? And if not is the hobbyist not the nitrate factory proliferator
I was trying to help a newbie. If you have a solution please address it. Otherwise you just are sounding condescending to me for trying to help.

florida joe

The point is this, there is IMO no such thing as a nitrate factory and stating that there is such a thing is giving the wrong information out. I will certainly respect and listen to you defending your view that such a “factory” exists
If I put copious amounts of food in my tank and the ammonia resulting from organic degeneration causes a spike by overloading my bio filtration does that mean my tank is an ammonia factory or does it mean I am not a consciences hobbyist

unleashed

as for your cloudy water have you tried adding a carbon filter to your tank..i have always kept carbons on my tanks to keep the water crystal clear..if you have an area in your sump for filteration you can add it to that .. or add a hang on filter just for carbon use. several ways to go about it depending on your equipment set up.

gypsana

Very good, reliable information
"Prevention:
Foods/Feeding, Livestock Loads. Nitrates are resultant from "too much proteinaceous food input, not enough output"... One easy approach to their limitation is to simply stock and feed your system lightly... particularly with foods of high protein content. Catabolism of protein (made up of amino acids, in turn the source of ammonia) from foods, wastes, decomposition is the root source of the precursors to nitrate: GIGO, garbage in, garbage out.
Some supplements and salt-mixes have nitrates of appreciable concentration in them. Read labels and if in doubt, test these by diluting into water, and using a test kit.
Detritus in the substrate can be a reservoir, manufacturer of nitrate. Vacuuming a portion of it along with your water changes can reduce this source. Similarly, mechanical filtration media that traps proteinaceous foods and wastes needs to be cleaned and/or replaced on a regular basis to limit these materials release, cycling in the system.
Wet-dry media in same-named filters are a huge source of nitrates. The aerobic bacteria cultured on their vast surface area readily produce nitrates. By and large, aquarists and their aquatic charges are best served by removing such media, converting the same space to live rock, macro-algae culture, either on an alternating light cycle with their main system, or leaving the lights on continuously."
Written by Bob Fenner

florida joe

Exactly my point nitrates don’t just happen the cycle of nitrification has to be feed. Poor husbandry and lack of anaerobic or assimilation nitrate removal ends in high nitrates. Said poor husbandry, not some factory producing nitrates on its own are to be blamed