Tank Cracked...

wrwarner

I came home from work and my 29 gallon that I set up about a week ago had a crack in the front glass going diagonally down to the front right bottom corner. About 13 gallons of water was on my DIY wooden stand and all over the carpet of my 3rd floor apartment.
Has anyone had any experience cleaning up a mess like this?

pezenfuego

Awe! So sorry man. That stinks. I would use a big hose and move the remained of the water from the tank to some 5 gallon buckets for disposal if you haven't already. Then towels towels towels. What kind of floors do you have?

wrwarner

First thing I did was take out the live rock, sand, and remaining water and put it in rubbermaid tubs. I soaked as much water from the carpet as possible with towels. Then I borrowed a shop vac, but that didn't have enough suction to pull up the water.
I'm not sure what is under the carpet, but I don't think any water has leaked down to the neighbor downstairs...yet. I called Stanley Steemer and they are coming tomorrow. This really is not in the budget.

pezenfuego

Yeesh! I've had a smaller problem similar to that. I used a shop vac and some HUGE fans. Do you know what caused the crack?

meowzer

WOW...how did it crack like that...did you have an avalanche? Just keep soaking it up....If you can you might want to lift the carpet and soak the water out of the foam underneath
Sorry about your tank

wrwarner

I have no idea why it cracked. I used this tank for a period of 2.5 years, then I had to tear down my tank and its just been sitting empty for the past 2 years. I've had water in it for over a week now and then it just burst.
My heater, powerhead, and HOB filter were all still running, out of the water, when I discovered it...so they are probably fried or something.

flower

If Stanley Steamer costs too much, cancel...go to the store and rent one of those rug doctors, it works great for pulling water out of carpet...I had a hot water heater break.

prk543

Well Will, I guess you will be getting the 40 gal tank that you were talking about the other day a lot sooner than you expected.
I'm sorry about your tank, and the big mess. Did you manage to check your heater and power head to see if they still worked? They may not have been out of water too long and the motors in the power head and filter may not have burnt up. If they still work, I would put them in the Rubbermaid with your rock, water and sand to keep the water moving.
At least you were cycling your tank and you don't have to worry about any live stock. I really hope you don't have to replace your brand new equipment.
Pat