Tank size & fish compaitibility

anita

Well, I really like the chocolate chip starfish, is that ok for a first saltwater tank? What else goes good with it? I know you don't need to know the fish for awhile, but I'd like to have some idea before I get started.
Anita

mikeyjer

Sinner's Girl said:
my book says the bluespotted rays needs min of 260gl.
umm...some maybe, but cc don't. and you can spot feed serpents and brittles. I've had my serpent since before I had lots of lr. Just started with some (enough for him to have a place to hide in though, but not tons).QUOTE]
Was talking about the star in the movie. That one won't!

:happyfish

J

jdragunas

Anita, a cc starfish is a great addition to any FO tank, but they like to mess up LR (knock it over), and they'll basically eat everything they can get ahold of (inverts, corals, etc...)
The first suggestion i'm going to make to you is to buy this book. It will help you for the rest of your saltwater life!!! It's called "the pocketexpert guide to marine fishes". This book tells you about over 500 fish, including who they're compatible with, how easy they are to take care of, if they're reef compatible, what they eat, and so much more! This is probably one of the best investments you can make in this trade.
The second suggestion i'm going to make is to do much much much more research than you have. Even if you've done a lot already, it never hurts to do more.
My third suggestion, and probably the most important is to buy a second book called "the concientious marine aquarist" by Fenner. This is the saltwater bible. I must warn you that it gives a LOT of information, so you'll probably want to start by skimming it, then read it, then read it again, then read it again... lol!
This is the best investment you can make. There are some other great books out there for you, but this is the most informative, and it covers EVERY aspect of saltwater tanks that you'll need to know about.
you should really pick out the fish you want in the first stages of planning your tank. This way, you can set up the tank around the fish you want, instead of picking the fish you want to fit the setup of your tank. :happyfish
Hope this has been a lot of help, and good luck!!!

Jenn

anita

Jenn-
Thanks. That helps. I looked on Amazon & I ordered the pocketbook for marine fishes & the conscientious marine aquarist, thanks! I'll get that too. If the cc star is good in a fish only tank...what about the rest of the fish in the tank being seahorses, they're also fish-only tank species, right? Lol, I'm anxious to find out a lot before my books come in the mail, I've also been reading wet web media. If you have a cc star,what else did you put with yours?
Anita

ryan115

seahorses belong in a species only tank. They are not aggresive or fast enough to compete with fish for food. I dont see any problem having the cc and the seahorses in a tank together, but you wouldnt be able to put much else in there as far as other fish go. THe seahorses make a great addition to a refugium if you decide to add one into your system.
Also those books are wonderful, those along with this site have given me so much info from where i first began.
Good Luck and keep us updated!

J

jdragunas

Anita, unfortunately i don't have a cc star. I want one, but i have a reef tank, and i don't want to risk anything.
As for seahorses, that's a really bad idea for a beginning tank. Seahorses are so incredibly difficult to care for. Their water parameters must be PERFECT, any fluctuation in the water quality at all will most likely kill the seahorses.
They require feeding of live brine shrimp, enriched with vitamins, 2-3 times daily. You must do weekly water changes. They have to be in a species only tank, but some fish are ok to put with them. Their tank needs to be 2.5 - 3X's taller than they are when they're stretched out. The also are incredibly expensive. :scared: For captive bread seahorses, a mated pair can run you anywhere from $150-$300, and that's the cheep species.
For a beginner, the best kinds of fish to get are ones that are a "5" in your pocketexpert guide that's coming in the mail (they rate the fish's care level from 1-5, 5 being the easiest and 1 being impossibleSeahorses are a "2"). These are extremely hardy fish, and are very easy to keep. This is the best for a beginner because they can live with most mistakes that beginners make. When i started my tank, i purchased a clownfish (very easy), a few lawnmower blennies (also very easy), a black & white heniochus butterfly (also pretty easy), and a yellow watchman goby (extremely easy).

You should consult your book before buying any fish at all, to make sure it's compatible with your tank, and easy to care for. I know you want to have all the cool things, like rays and seahorses, but even most experienced aquarists won't take that on. I just don't want you to get in over your head. :joy:
Lemme know if you have any more questions. Glad to be of assistance!
Jenn

anita

Yeah, that's a good point. Really? One of the reasons I thought of seahorses besides that they are peaceful is because they seem to be not too expensive, seahorses I've seen on various websites are $60-$90. The rays I was initially considering are $150 +. And I'm also looking on this site the same time I'm posting & there's are pipefish, that look sort of like seahorses w/o the curvy bodies, & they need to be in the same environment as seahorses, but they're care level is easy. See, I'm very hesistant to get 2 of the same species, because if they mate, what am I going to do with all the babies? In a small 40-50g tank, I wouldn't have the room.
Anita

J

jdragunas

I've heard pipefish are even harder to take care of.
If $90 for a fish isn't expensive to you, you've got a big head start on the $$$ portion of this hobby. The only reason i was trying to suggest other fish is because if a $10 fish dies, it's not that big of a dea (it is because any fish dying is sad), but if you lose a $90 seahorse, that's a big loss! That's one of the main reasons seahorses and pipefish are for experts, because it's harder to keep them alive, and the experienced aquarist will be prepared for this major responsibility.
Also, rays need an aquarium size of at least 180 gallons or more, with a LOT of room to roam the bottom - so not too much LR.
Jenn

anita

No, $90 fish is expensive for me, but compared to other fish I've seen online it seem cheaper. What do you think is the best tank setup for me? Fish only, live rock or a little of both? Peaceful or predators? There are so many options, lol!
Anita

J

jdragunas

LOL, i can feel the excitement radiating off of you!
It all depends on your personal preference. If you want an aggressive tank, you should chose all aggressive tankmates, which limits you to your selection. If you want a peaceful tank, you should chose all peaceful tankmates. You just must remember that you can't mix the two, or else you'll end up with an aggressive tank!
this is what i personally have:
55 gallon tank
90lbs LR
1 percula clownfish (just like nemo)
2 lawnmower blennies
1 black & white heniochus (looks kinda like a moorish idol - Guill in finding nemo)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
10 nassarius snails
9 turbo snails
3 hermit crabs
If you wanna see pics of my tank and tankmates, look at this thread, on the third page, about halfway down (it might take a while for the page to load):
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...2&page=3&pp=50
This is all my personal preference, though. It all depends on what you want. I chose my fish surrounding my desire for a clownfish, and that's how i decided i wanted a peaceful tank. I didn't want poor nemo to get eaten by an aggressive tankmate.
That pocketexpert guide to marine fish will help you out with this soooo much!
Jenn

anita

Jenn-
Lol, it really is exciting! I read your post about falling of a cliff, ouch! Your dog is so adorable, we a have a great dane & a blue & gold macaw...& of course some fish sometime soon!
Ok, so it is all personal preferance...well, again I've been looking at the various fish & invert pictures/reef safe/care levels on this website, and I found some that I like, let me know if these could work: Yellow Cucumber, Horseshoe Crab, starfish(like cc, but open to others), urchin, red scooter blenny, sargassum angler (it's only one inch, weird, I thought anglers were bigger), clownfish. I really like puffers though...I know they don't get along with most reef fish, right? any suggestions?
Anita

J

jdragunas

Anita,
1. yellow cucumbers are cool, but if they feel threatened, or die, they emit a toxin that could kill EVERYTHING in your tank! They're generally not a good idea.
2. horseshoe crabs can get like 24", which is waaayyy to big for a 50 gallon.
3. the size of the fish on this website are the size they will be when you receive it, not how big it'll get. Don't set anything in stone until you get that fish guide! lol
4. scooter blennies are not actually blennies, but they are dragonets. They require a LOT of LR, as they only live on copods (not sure what these are, but i know they grow with LR). These are incredibly difficult to keep, and most die within 2 or 3 months from starvation.
5. Puffers can get like 18" and are also too big for your 50 gallon tank. They aren't reef compatible, and they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouths.
6. The clownfish is a GREAT idea! They're not just called clownfish because of their orange and white color, but because of their clowny behavior too! They're a blast to have.
7. A cool starfish to have is a brittle. They're not your typical starfish, look up a pic online. They're pretty cool. You have to spot feed them with a turkey baster, though, and your water parameters for any invert should be pristine, as they are more sensative to high nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.
Hope i didn't burst too many bubbles.
Jenn

dave_15

seahorses are very hard to take care of...you need perfect water condition and alot of seahorses refuse to eat.
DAVE_15

anita

Jenn-
Ok, good I'm getting somewhere, lol! So, clownfish, & brittle stars. I'd like having mutliple stars, what about linkia & serpent stars? And how about the urchins, royal gramma, moorish idol, yellow tang, damsel (fish from Finding Nemo minus puffer), a reef-safe angel & a blue hippo tang (Dory)? Any of those work? So, what else do you think fits? I also need cleaner fish, right, or do stars do that too?
Dave-
Yeah, it's not good for my first tank...but, this won't be my last tank, lol!
Anita

S

sinner's girl

a cc starfish is a great addition to any FO tank, but they like to mess up LR (knock it over), and they'll basically eat everything they can get ahold of (inverts,
neither of my cc have done this. The last did like to knock the snails off the glass then suck thier heads. But he left everyone else alone.
The one I have now, is never on the lr, always on the glass, front or back or top when I had the water really full. If you feed them, then are less likely to eat others.
Ok, good I'm getting somewhere, lol! So, clownfish, & brittle stars. I'd like having mutliple stars, what about linkia & serpent stars? And how about the urchins, royal gramma, moorish idol, yellow tang, damsel (fish from Finding Nemo minus puffer), a reef-safe angel & a blue hippo tang (Dory)? Any of those work? So, what else do you think fits? I also need cleaner fish, right, or do stars do that too?
NO LINKIA! they don't do well in tanks. Need lots of lr, and no one really knows what they eat. Most will not spot feed and die of starvation within a few months.
Serpent star is great. I've had one for...since I was a member here. I love that guy. No problem with him. Got a brittle at the same time who I lost a little while ago. urchins are cool.
NO TANGS! your tank is too small. Min of 75gl for some tangs, but 90-135 for most.
you don't need a cleaner fish. Stars are part of your clean up crew, will not clean or harm fish. (well....some brittles may...like the green one or so I've heard.)
For clean up crew, you can have shrimp (what's his name?), urchins (i'd go for the ones that can stick to the glass, easier to feed), stars (brittle, serpent, cc), snails (unless you have a cc star), hermits, crabs, clams. Inverts are so cool.
Royal Gamma is fine.
moorish idol-min size tank is 100.
some angels, some need min55-100gl. you can get Cherb, Coral Beauty, Eibl's, Lemonpeel, Flame and some others for a min of 30gl.
You can get a goby, wrasse, blennie, or dottyback.
You'll want some lr so the fish have places to hide and play, but if you're not going reef, you can add it bits at a time. you can add in base rock (not live and cheap but will became alive) to your tank also.
the pocketexpert guide to marine fishes". This book tells you about over 500 fish, including who they're compatible with, how easy they are to take care of, if they're reef compatible, what they eat, and so much more! This is probably one of the best investments you can make in this trade.
That's how I know this stuff. I just looked it up.
DAVE_15! Yellow tang, min tanksize 75gl, and most people will say 90gl. You can't put a yellow in a 40-50gl tank.

anita

Sinner_Girl
So far:
-clownfish,
-brittle star, serpent star
-urchin (which ones stick to the glass?)
-royal gamma
-angel (Cherb, Coral Beauty, Eibl's, Lemonpeel, Flame )
-goby,wrasse, blennie or dottyback
If I don't get a snail, could I get a chocolate chip star? I really like those.
This may be a dumb question, but is it good to get 2 of the same species in a first tank? The only reason I ask is since you don't really know if you're getting a male or female...what if they breed? What would I do with the babies?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
neither of my cc have done this. The last did like to knock the snails off the glass then suck thier heads. But he left everyone else alone.
The one I have now, is never on the lr, always on the glass, front or back or top when I had the water really full. If you feed them, then are less likely to eat others.
NO LINKIA! they don't do well in tanks. Need lots of lr, and no one really knows what they eat. Most will not spot feed and die of starvation within a few months.
Serpent star is great. I've had one for...since I was a member here. I love that guy. No problem with him. Got a brittle at the same time who I lost a little while ago. urchins are cool.
NO TANGS! your tank is too small. Min of 75gl for some tangs, but 90-135 for most.
you don't need a cleaner fish. Stars are part of your clean up crew, will not clean or harm fish. (well....some brittles may...like the green one or so I've heard.)
For clean up crew, you can have shrimp (what's his name?), urchins (i'd go for the ones that can stick to the glass, easier to feed), stars (brittle, serpent, cc), snails (unless you have a cc star), hermits, crabs, clams. Inverts are so cool.
Royal Gamma is fine.
moorish idol-min size tank is 100.
some angels, some need min55-100gl. you can get Cherb, Coral Beauty, Eibl's, Lemonpeel, Flame and some others for a min of 30gl.
You can get a goby, wrasse, blennie, or dottyback.
You'll want some lr so the fish have places to hide and play, but if you're not going reef, you can add it bits at a time. you can add in base rock (not live and cheap but will became alive) to your tank also.
That's how I know this stuff. I just looked it up.
DAVE_15! Yellow tang, min tanksize 75gl, and most people will say 90gl. You can't put a yellow in a 40-50gl tank.
Most of your comments I would agree with, but the tang!!! It does need a larger tank, but IMO a small tang would do for 40-50 gallon tank for the time being. Your just saying because that's what most people would say or what was quoted in a book, have you actually done it yourself? Not trying to disagree or flame you, but it's your own personal opinion. Some people would agree with me too about a small tang being fine for the time being. But eventually it will need a larger sized tank 125+ gallons. That I will agree with. Just my thought!

J

jdragunas

Ok, sinner girl was 100% on, although i do agree about having a small tang in a small tank. But NOT for a beginner, and NOT for your first fish!!! Tangs are really suseptible to ich, and a beginner could have major problems with that! Also, tangs need a really established tank to survive. I think that in this case, a tang is not a good idea. I don't think anita's planning on upgrading her tank any time soon.
Also, not only do moorish idols need a 100 gallon tank, they also are incredibly difficult to keep. Most end up dying within a few months or a year of starvation.
Royal grammas can be pretty territorial and may bully some of your other fish, but this all depends on the fish itself. Some can be aggressive, and some are sweet as pie!
Like sinner said, no linkia, but serpent stars are cool. They look pretty much like brittles, but they don't have spiny things. These stars are notorious for eating shrimp, so if you do have stars, you should stray from smaller shrimp (larger ones may be ok).
No tangs at all, damsels are aggressive, and end up taking over the tank (chromis are pretty docile, though).
We're getting somewhere!
Jenn

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by jdragunas
Ok, sinner girl was 100% on, although i do agree about having a small tang in a small tank. But NOT for a beginner, and NOT for your first fish!!! Tangs are really suseptible to ich, and a beginner could have major problems with that! Also, tangs need a really established tank to survive. I think that in this case, a tang is not a good idea. I don't think anita's planning on upgrading her tank any time soon.
Also, not only do moorish idols need a 100 gallon tank, they also are incredibly difficult to keep. Most end up dying within a few months or a year of starvation.
Royal grammas can be pretty territorial and may bully some of your other fish, but this all depends on the fish itself. Some can be aggressive, and some are sweet as pie!
Like sinner said, no linkia, but serpent stars are cool. They look pretty much like brittles, but they don't have spiny things. These stars are notorious for eating shrimp, so if you do have stars, you should stray from smaller shrimp (larger ones may be ok).
No tangs at all, damsels are aggressive, and end up taking over the tank (chromis are pretty docile, though).
We're getting somewhere!
Jenn

Thanks Jenn, that's what I forgot to add though, a established tank!!! But your right about tangs prone to ich, but with good diet and a established tank they'll do fine. I was putting that in for her to get down the road actually. Have to plan a list of what your getting before hand so you'll make sure everyone gets along in the end. I started out with green chromis, they're docile UNLESS one of your fish is sick, that's when they pick them to death. I say it cause it happened to me and they killed the fish within two days of picking. I noticed a little bit at first, but didn't think nothing of it then I saw a full attack the next day from two chromis then the fish just lay on the bottom afterwards and died. It was a hard lesson to be learned. Didn't have another tank to put her in, there was already two in QT tank for treatment and she can't go in there. That's when I decided I would NEVER use copper treatment again!!! That's what made her weak.
I won't keep going on and on...

anita

Ok, thanks for the help, do you think it's good to go out & get my tank/supplies this weekend? I think with help from poster on this site (thanks!), I have a good idea how my tank will be setup. That way I can get started on the approx 1 month cycle. I think I'll get my tank, stand, supplies from a fish store & have them set it up, then I don't have to worry about making a mistake. I still have one more fish store to go to(probably today) in Buena Park that someone on this board suggested.
2 clownfish
1 purple urchin
1-2 serpent stars (probably 1 if I get a cc star)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 red spotted sandperch goby
1 diamond goby
1 midas blenny
1 purple pseudochromis
MAYBE
1 twin spot wrasse-red sea( maybe later, it would be a splurge-but it's really beautiful)
1 jewel damsel-this site says they're peaceful & reef safe.
So, Is that too many? I was trying to get a few red, orange, yellow fish but also cool colors like blue & purple fish.
Chocolate Chip Star--I'd really like to have one, would they be ok to have in my tank?
How do I decide on rocks, corals, anemones? It would be nice to have an anemone for my clownfish, I think this site recommends a carpet anemone, but how would it do w/a cc star?
Mikeyjer-I'm sorry about what happened...just curious, but why would you use copper in a tank?
Anita