tank too hot

moose2020

just started a 220 i only have live sand and rock in there right now my room is 78 degrees and my tank is 85.9 i have a wet dry filter a genx pump at 1140 gph uv 36 watt why is the tank so much hotter been in salt water for about 10 yrs never had this problem i had a 120 gal w/1800 mag on it n p.s. the heater is not even plugged in or the lights are not on yet thanks

meowzer

Originally Posted by moose2020
http:///forum/post/3072810
yes i have lids should i leave them open
If you can't take them off...then yes..at least open the front. You may want to look into changing the lids..I have eggcrate on my 225g with Metal halides, and on my 29g with T5HO lights
I keep the front lid open..and the back corner (plastic piece) off of my 54g corner bow ..+ I keep a small fan on it

moose2020

ok thank u i will try to keep them open in the front but just curious why only with saltwater not with fresh

meowzer

HMMM...IDK...I have a 225....with a mag1800 in the sump, along with a protein skimmer and that pump....I have 5 powerheads in it...and metal halide lights....It runs 80...BUT I have eggcrate on top....BUT STILL....look at all the stuff I have in it
I would look into the heat output of that pump

pezenfuego

Clip on fans are like 6 bucks each and leaving the lids up will help as well. However in this case, a chiller would be a good investment imo.

gio28

my tank has the same problem...its the lights..i need to figure out how to get a fan positioned to blow away the heat...i have frozen water bottles in the freezer ready to go cause temp in my tank is like a daily problem. they dont solve the problem but are good in emergencies where the tank gets way too hot