Tank Transformation

lukeanthony

The specific gravity for my tank is 1.24. The temperature is 79 degrees. The pH is 8.3.
I have live rock and a Sailfin Tang. I have a BioCube 29g. I have a 250 gph powerhead and a 750 gph powerhead and the filter puts out 243gph. I haven't been running the 750 powerhead, because the fish seem really bothered by it (but maybe this is a misperception). Stock fluorescent lighting, the bulbs are about a year old. I'm using the BioCube protein skimmer in conjunction with the charcoal filter. I have bioballs that I occasionally (every 6th months or so) rinse a third of them in saltwater. I do regular water changes of 3 gallons weekly.
The trouble is my tank used to look awesome about a year ago with zero algae and a ton of coraline algae as well as some four or five pieces of coral. Since then I had a power outage which killed several pieces of coral and my tank gradually deteriorated and started to grow lots of green and brownish red algae.
Not really sure what I started doing differently. Here are before and after pictures.

S

siptang

Your phosphates went out of control it seems like.
It caused that red algae bloom and you need to take care of it by siphoning it out, clean your live rock and lower the time of the light and use something like pos ban or something.
You will probably not going to detect any phosphate at the moment because of those algae will suck in all of it but it will spike up in the process of removing..

meowzer

OK...I see a clown, green chromis and yellow tang......IMO you have a bioload issue.....a 29G cube is no place for any type of tang....I sayd get rid of it
also a 750gph PH is a little strong from such a small tank....I suggest a Koralia 1
I do see a few snails....what else do you have for a clean up crew?

lukeanthony

I'm running the light 8hrs a day. That's not too much is it? Should I decrease for a while and then increase it back up?