Tanks In College

bluelagoon

the tank is a regent aqua-tech or whatever... i currently use the original lights (i've broken down and finally decided i need to upgrade those), it runs a pad filter and a bio-wheel. i have a little heater (25 watt--works great), around 5-7 lbs of live rock, an ocellaris clownfish, a skunk cleaner, and two hermit crabs (i had 3 but the other two killed it).

petieaztec

sorry it has been so long but i also have a ten gallon with a maroon clown, hammerhead coral, green mushrooms, hermits, and a couple of snails. i forgot the wattage that i am using, but my mushrooms are going crazy duplicating like mad!!!!

millerman

ill post mine soon have to get my cable that goes from camera to computer. hope it stands up to what you think it should look like/

petieaztec

don't be afraid of what people say looks nice. we all have our own opinions. I am sure it looks great! cannot wait to see it.

biglurr545

as long as theres salt water in it i have a feeling were gonna like it. you have to look at tanks more as art. theres no wrong way for it to look and as long as you like they way it looks then its a masterpiece.
just started my first pico ill get picks once i get it up and rnning with some stuff in it.

kleinn

Hey! Nano-people!
I'm a senior at Iowa State University (with at least a year left) earning a BA in Biological/Pre-Medical Illustration. I've always had an aquarium, and for the past few years I've had a Dutch style 20H with chocolate guaramis, cardinal tetras, and a chamelean shrinp with about a dozen different plant spp. Well, after much heated discussion with an avid salt water "purist" friend of mine I've decided to try to convert the thing into a nano-reef. Truth be told I'm terrified because of the challenges I've heard about keeping marine corals and inverts, and because of the ticket price of EVERYTHING in salt water. (Poor college kid)
So far I have:
20H glass tank on really simple self-made stand
coralife lunar delux double strip 2x65w PC light
red sea prism hang on skimmer
penguin 125 bio/carbon filter
an ancient 50 watt heater
20lbs aragonite sand
about 25lbs of live rock
No livestock yet, still setting up for the cycle phase
SORRY NO PICS YET....BUT SOON :joy:
PS do I need an evap hood for this bad boy?

biglurr545

hey sounds like you got all the hard stuff taken care of. or atleast all the really expensive stuff. nanos are not that hard they just require attention. but its well worth the work thats for sure. as for the evap hood... that can go wither way im guessing you just mean like a glass top to slow evaperation. they do slow the evaperation down alot but they also reflect some light. if you dont have corals that need alot of light then you could put one on and it would help. but if you have lps or hard or anythign demanding alot of light then i wouldnt put the tops on.
cant wait to see the tank
good luck

biglurr545

dude your too harsh on yourself its looking good keep it up. make sure you have a secure hood cause those snowflake eels get out of everything your really cant have any holes in the top. good luck and keep up the good work

haze123

Millerman your tank is dope dont under rate your self man. That is a cool looking snowflake though that thing will be a monster.