TAP or RO LET'S VOTE

silverdak

eh all the ones I have seen from my LFS are $300 plus and the ones I sell at work (plumbing supply house) go for $700 plus but they will do a 2000 square foot house lol

cranberry

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2890095
Good post....

Clearly shows that many of those that don't use it, don't have anything for comparison
They just rave about how it's not necessary, yet don't know what they are missing.
Except me as I said above..... when I moved in with my RO/DI I didn't improve anything.

t316

I don't argue that it can't be done at all, but for those that choose not to use RODI (overall, looking at the multible threads that pass thru here), it appears to be one of two sectors....either newbies that don't know any better, or those from the 'old school' that tend their tanks as it was done 20 years ago. Newbies, I can totally relate, unless you have been educated and still choose not to based on your cockiness, or maybe even your exceptional natural water source. But for the latter, I think that this hobby continues to bring on some of the world's most amazing advancements, one by one, and for us not to embrace this, if for no other reason than to eliminate one additional roadblock, is pure...I was about to say stupidity, but no, these people are not stupid, so I will use stubborn. Yes, stubborness...this is my honest conclusion.

I'm not going to jump on either bandwagon but I will say this.
I have heard of people being successful with both options, but it obviously depends on your water quality. If you're on a well or your water is pristine I don't see the point of a RO/DI system.
However if you look around you can find the systems for around $100 and if that will even eliminate the possibility of blaming something on your water it is money well spent.

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2890095
Good post....

Clearly shows that many of those that don't use it, don't have anything for comparison
They just rave about how it's not necessary, yet don't know what they are missing.
I am the only pro-tap poster I see so I will take the luxury of "assuming" this was directed at me. I agree his was a good post pointing out the before and after...however...If I have a tank that I use tap on, and don't have diatoms, high nitrates and my water is clear...what would be my justification in buying an RO unit? I am not raving about tap water, all I am trying to say is try the tap first before you spend 100 or more on a unit. An RO is not a must have piece of equipment, and I think people get scared into thinking that their water must be bad and they have to have one of these. From my experience you won't need it if the above listed are your concerns. Perhaps I am just lucky in that every place I have gone has good water
. Again I have always had FOWLR's, and I have no idea how it would do with a reef. They seem to be quite sensitive, so perhaps, here it is a must have, but according to KJR, Sr Fisher has pulled it off. Dunno, I am not convinced. Again, I am of the opinion that very effective marketing was put into place with these. Just me out of 40 some posts though
, and I am not arguing that the RO has no place. I am sure some places have horrible water, but not here, and I know my town is not the world leader in quality water. Just my .02

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2890286
I don't argue that it can't be done at all, but for those that choose not to use RODI (overall, looking at the multible threads that pass thru here), it appears to be one of two sectors....either newbies that don't know any better, or those from the 'old school' that tend their tanks as it was done 20 years ago. Newbies, I can totally relate, unless you have been educated and still choose not to based on your cockiness, or maybe even your exceptional natural water source. But for the latter, I think that this hobby continues to bring on some of the world's most amazing advancements, one by one, and for us not to embrace this, if for no other reason than to eliminate one additional roadblock, is pure...I was about to say stupidity, but no, these people are not stupid, so I will use stubborn. Yes, stubborness...this is my honest conclusion.
I like this post better

t316

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2890299
I am the only pro-tap poster I see so I will take the luxury of "assuming" this was directed at me. I agree his was a good post pointing out the before and after...however...If I have a tank that I use tap on, and don't have diatoms, high nitrates and my water is clear...what would be my justification in buying an RO unit? I am not raving about tap water, all I am trying to say is try the tap first before you spend 100 or more on a unit. An RO is not a must have piece of equipment, and I think people get scared into thinking that their water must be bad and they have to have one of these. From my experience you won't need it if the above listed are your concerns. Perhaps I am just lucky in that every place I have gone has good water
. Again I have always had FOWLR's, and I have no idea how it would do with a reef. They seem to be quite sensitive, so perhaps, here it is a must have, but according to KJR, Sr Fisher has pulled it off. Dunno, I am not convinced. Again, I am of the opinion that very effective marketing was put into place with these. Just me out of 40 some posts though
, and I am not arguing that the RO has no place. I am sure some places have horrible water, but not here, and I know my town is not the world leader in quality water. Just my .02

Originally Posted by usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2890301
I like this post better

No, sorry usirchchris, this was not directed directly at you. I reply in this thread, but my thoughts are generalized at the many of these threads that come thru. Yes, without a doubt, you are in the minority, but I appreciate your honestly, and I must say that this thread has/is generating some decent thought and conversation as related to the topic....verses just the newbie who throws it out there and everybody slams him. I still don't agree with your practices....
.....but I was not picking on you specifically.

t316

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2890313
So, what do we see showing up in tanks that use tapwater that isn't showing up in tanks with RO/DI?
Cranberry...(okay, off topic, everytime I see that name I want some snack or some berries or something...
), do you have a TDS meter? I know you said that you didn't see a difference after moving. If you have a TDS, post what the reading is coming out of your tap, verses what is coming out of your RO. I cannot legitimately say what you are missing (cough..cough..DIATOMS/ALGEA/MORE CLEANING...cough...cough) without you seeing the difference for yourself. If you had a peice of junk RO unit that was putting out just as much TDS as your boyfriends tap water, then no, you wouldn't see a difference. The proof is is in the TDS reading. If I have a reading of even "1", then that's "one" more of something (I don't know what) that I don't want in my tank.

cranberry

http:///forum/post/2890326
Cranberry...(okay, off topic, everytime I see that name I want some snack or some berries or something...
), do you have a TDS meter? I know you said that you didn't see a difference after moving. If you have a TDS, post what the reading is coming out of your tap, verses what is coming out of your RO. I cannot legitimately say what you are missing (cough..cough..DIATOMS/ALGEA/MORE CLEANING...cough...cough) without you seeing the difference for yourself. If you had a peice of junk RO unit that was putting out just as much TDS as your boyfriends tap water, then no, you wouldn't see a difference. The proof is is in the TDS reading. If I have a reading of even "1", then that's "one" more of something (I don't know what) that I don't want in my tank.

Okay, you got me wrong. I use an RO/DI unit. I have an inline TDS meter and it's funny that we are talking about this now because I just changed all the filters today.... it's one of my most hated jobs. Straight tap TDS 400+.
My output TDS is 0. It hits 1 I go about getting together the stuff to change the filters out.
Soooo... peeps who use RO/DI don't get nuisance algae? Cool.... didn't know that. :/
It was a legit question... please don't treat me like I'm an idiot and have no idea what I am talking about. This is a conversation and a process of learning. I too use an RO/DI... but my tanks are no better than my husbands. Why? Or better yet.... Why don't I stop my filtering ways if I don't see a difference....

t316

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2890338
Okay, you got me wrong. I use an RO/DI unit. I have an inline TDS meter and it's funny that we are talking about this now because I just changed all the filters today.... it's one of my most hated jobs. Straight tap TDS 400+.
My output TDS is 0. It hits 1 I go about getting together the stuff to change the filters out.
Soooo... peeps who use RO/DI don't get nuisance algae? Cool.... didn't know that. :/
It was a legit question... please don't treat me like I'm an idiot and have no idea what I am talking about. This is a conversation and a process of learning. I too use an RO/DI... but my tanks are no better than my husbands. Why? Or better yet.... Why don't I stop my filtering ways if I don't see a difference....
I never said you were an idiot. Remove the pesonal aspect from the posts. Try running all of your tanks on 400+ TDS tap water and lets see your response.

cranberry

http:///forum/post/2890354
Try running all of your tanks on 400+ TDS tap water and lets see your response.

He did... for 17 years. I've only used tap for 1 year and then switched to RO/DI which I've been using for the last 13 years. Is that the data you are looking for?

t316

I'm at a loss for what you are in favor of....He runs off of tap and you run RODI, and you see no difference....is that it?

cranberry

He ran all of tanks on tap water for 17 years.
I use only RO/DI. When I first got into the hobby, I used tap for the first year and then I switched.
And remember you don't have to convince me... I don't use tap... especially not here in LA.

t316

I'm not trying to convince you anymore....I'm trying to figure out who's side you are on. As I understand it, you are a loyal user of RODI, but your boyfriend is not, and he has had the same clean tanks as yours over the past many years. So you are wondering what you have been wasting all your time for. Do I have this figured out right.....

cranberry

Yes. You are correct.
My original question was.... what do we see showing up in tanks that use tapwater that isn't showing up in tanks with RO/DI?

t316

Answer....Diatoms, more posts of algea problems (check the boards....red/green/hair/etc.), more frequent maintenance and cleaning....just to name a few.
In general, if you are running reef tanks, there is no way that I buy into the fact that even 2 tanks running equal, 1 on RODI and 1 on 400+ TDS, have the same results from the above mentioned conditions. Not buying into it....

cranberry

I see just as many of those threads started by people who use RO/DI.
But anyway, I can't very well "prove" anything to ya. Thought it would be an interesting conversation to have. It's one we often have in this house. It's too bad someone has to be right and someone has to be proven wrong to have a simple conversation.
*clicks unsubscribe*