Taping pictures of clowns with anemones

jasontk

Ok so I've heard of people taping pictures of clowns hosting anemones in order to get their stubborn non-hosting clowns to follow suit. So has anyone actually had succuess with this? My clown seems to be a bigger fan of hosting my magnetic algae scraper than my BTA.

nm reef

Getting clowns to host is a difficult proposition...sometimes they will readily host with assorted corals and anenomes. I've heard of people trying the picture trick....but I don't know that it actually works.
What type of clown do you have and how long have you had it? It may simply be that its not familiar with the anenome you have offered.

neowind

Another thing is if the clown is tank bred then it may not even understand the concept of hosting. I have heard people using the picture method but I just don't see how it could work. I mean i could be wrong hahaha it might just be crazy enought to work. It does take time and patience though.

enomadra

I have had my tank raised clown for 8 month now and it has just started to host things. It started with a big feather duster then I put in an anenome and it loves to go in it. Don't give up.:D

jasontk

Yeah I thought the picture idea seemed crazy but it might be worth a try :thinking:
My clown is a false percula and I have had him for probably 7 months or longer. No idea if he was tank bred or not, but I'm thinking maybe he was. Or maybe he just doesn't feel like it and there's nothing I can do to make him host. :notsure:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone needs hosting lessons, then please contact my clownfish. He will host my fingers if I lay my hand on a rock in just the right way.
This guy killed 2 corals in my tank hosting and nearly killed my toadstool. I got a SWF.com rosetip yesturday and he wouldn't even let the anemone settle in before he was in there rubbing all over the place.
What a pain.

fishking

i have four percula clowns and i want to know if it will host my hatian anenome, if so how can i get it to , they wont go anywhere near it

lestregus

in an old thread bang guy said he used the pic technique to get his clowns to host...he seems to know more than the average joe about clowns.. i'd say give it a shot

viper_930

Originally posted by JasonTK
Yeah I thought the picture idea seemed crazy but it might be worth a try :thinking:
My clown is a false percula and I have had him for probably 7 months or longer. No idea if he was tank bred or not, but I'm thinking maybe he was. Or maybe he just doesn't feel like it and there's nothing I can do to make him host. :notsure:

Maybe your BTA isn't big enough. How big is it when fully extended?

fishking

Originally posted by Lestregus
in an old thread bang guy said he used the pic technique to get his clowns to host...he seems to know more than the average joe about clowns.. i'd say give it a shot

so does anyone by any chance have a picture of a percula clown in a hatian anenome

jasontk

My BTA is at least an inch longer in diameter than my clown is and the clown is probably 2.5" or so. A lot of the clowns I see at my LFS will host anemenes smaller than they are. There were 3 or more maroon clowns hosting this BTA that I bought when I bought it. Too bad my false perc doesn't have any interest. I think I am going to give the pic taping a shot. I'll report back if I have any success.

bang guy

IMO the Anemone hosting a Clown should be at least 3X larger in diameter than the Clowns in it. Just my opinion though.

alswantz

Originally posted by Bang Me Sideways
IMO the Anemone hosting a Clown should be at least 3X larger in diameter than the Clowns in it. Just my opinion though.

everyone has one (opinion) :thinking:

reef_magic

Originally posted by fishking
i have four percula clowns and i want to know if it will host my hatian anenome, if so how can i get it to , they wont go anywhere near it

clowns normally wont host in haitians or condies. b/c they are from the atlantic while clowns come from the pacific. but melody's clowns host her haitian.
anyway....i tried the tape thing for a month and they ignored it, so i took it down, my 2 percs just sleep together in the back corner of the tank cuddled up with my lonely green chromis

bang guy

Originally posted by alswantz
everyone has one (opinion) :thinking:

I only mention it because Clowns often inadvertantly kill their smaller hosts, especially Maroon Clownfish. It seems a shame to buy a too-small Anemone and have your Clownfish love it to death.

lovethesea

I swear ours is going to love his freind to death. And our LTA is quite large. And lord help the poor snail gliding by on the glass near the LTA, because he gets knocked off the glass by the clown

Bang....who posts you as "bang me sideways" ?? :confused: