Temp loss during drip acclimation?

barry cuda

I've just made my third attempt at drip acclimating as instructed on this site, and I'm wondering what I can do to reduce temp loss in the specimen container. Last night I even wrapped the container in towels and partially covered it, but it still wound up significantly cooler than the display. Seems the warmer water dripping in just isn't enough to counter the heat loss. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think I'm dripping too slowly, but it's possible.

seasprite

Everytime I do drip acclimations I always put a small submersible heater, I got at walmart. When the water level gets high enough and you can submerge it, you can lay it on the bottom of a five gallon bucket. (I dont know what u use, but I use those large empty reefchrystal buckets for acclimating) You can watch the temp and successfully adjust it so that the bucket remains the same temp as the tank that way.

737mech

Barry Cuda
I've noticed the same thing when I drip acclimate. I wrapped my bucket in towels too and covered it with another towel. I did this with a RT and when it came time to put her in the QT, she seemed asleep. That was 2 wks ago and I still haven't seen any ich. I only mention the ich thing, because every fish that I have gotten has shown signs of ich after placing in QT.
I've thought about getting one of those insulated water coolers. Not the tall one but one about 1/2 that tall. It would hold alot of water and maybe help with the temp drop.

barry cuda

Now that's a good idea. I'm thinking maybe even next time I order livestock I'll save back the styrofoam box and use it as extra insulation around the acclimation container. I've been using gallon-size Tupperware containers...if I get something narrower it oughta fit really nicely.

peggy

Always had the same problem. After an hour and a half temp in bucket was 3 to 4 degrees lower than tank. Just tried something new this week and it worked great. Took a cardboard box and in the bottom put a heating pad (one that was long and narrow (made for arms) as oppose to the square ones) and then put a 3 gallon bucket on top of the pad. Started out on low temp and then as the bucket begin filling up, due to the dripping moved to med and finally high. Was able to drip acclimate for 3 1/2 hours and never dropped more than one degree.
Needless to say I kept checking the temp about every 15 -20 minutes and always felt the pad to see how hot it was.
Anyway, worked great for me.

cosguy20

JUST A THOUGHT
you could do all three suggestions
get the syrofoam cooler.
heat damp towels in the microwave place into cooler
put container on top of the towels
and start dripping
if the water gets too hot take the towel off
gets too cold nuke the towels again
just a thought