temp question

meowzer

Is 76.5 too cool for fish? I am adding a ricordia, candy cane frag and bta tomorrow (I hope)....so will the temp be ok for them too? It usually runs 78 during the day..

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2886426
Is 76.5 too cool for fish? I am adding a ricordia, candy cane frag and bta tomorrow (I hope)....so will the temp be ok for them too? It usually runs 78 during the day..
For fish that temp should be fine...for corals

t316

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2886500
It's not necessarily what temp - it's that it's kept stable year round.
+1....

and during the day. Neither fish or coral will like drastic swings in temp. Get it where you want it and figure out how to keep it that way.

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2886500
It's not necessarily what temp - it's that it's kept stable year round.
Year round stability is really not as critical as daily stability (as long as the temp stays within range). Although some don't concern themselves with massive temp swings (parts of the reefs in the ocean experience these), most sources advise as little fluctuation as possible. I'd say the majority of tropical tanks are kept between 75 and 80 and most all are between 72 and 84 for extremes. A one and a half degree swing is certainly acceptable and the temps meowzer listed are fine (although I prefer a bit warmer in my tanks).

jackri

Stability is the key... 76.5 is acceptable. I've run anywhere from 76 to 82 and both were fine, just don't jump around.

guitarplr85

mine stayes at 78. I have a steakth heater that has the temp of choice on it and if you set it at like 78 it keeps it there. But i have hurd if it moves a lot it can cause ick, is that true? I have corals and what is is a ideal temp that would be good for corals and the fish? You got me thinking now lol?

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2886529
Year round stability is really not as critical as daily stability (as long as the temp stays within range). Although some don't concern themselves with massive temp swings (parts of the reefs in the ocean experience these), most sources advise as little fluctuation as possible. I'd say the majority of tropical tanks are kept between 75 and 80 and most all are between 72 and 84 for extremes. A one and a half degree swing is certainly acceptable and the temps meowzer listed are fine (although I prefer a bit warmer in my tanks).
What I was implying was a stable temp on a daily basis every year.
And - we don't have tropical tanks, we have marine and reef tanks.
One of my most stable and awesome reefs I've ever kept was at 85*+-1* year round.

bang guy

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2886609
I think I remember Rotary saying coral grows better around 82-83?
It depends on the coral species. Some grow best at 90F (Red Sea Xenia) and some grow best at 50F (Balanophyllia sp.). You really cannot make any blanket statements about coral. You need to know what you have, where it thrives in the wild, and what the environment is like there.

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2886908
What I was implying was a stable temp on a daily basis every year.
Your choice of words is confusing, but I think you’re saying that we agree on daily stability being more important than year round?
And - we don't have tropical tanks, we have marine and reef tanks.
Most of our tanks (including the one in question) are indeed tropical – ie the animals we most often keep are from or very near the tropical zone and climate. Simply saying ‘marine and reef tanks’ is less distinct since it can encompass a much wider range of temperatures (ie some marine tanks can be kept at 50 degrees or less). I was referring to a more restricted set of conditions, hence the clarifying term. Not sure why you disagree with this?
One of my most stable and awesome reefs I've ever kept was at 85*+-1* year round.
Yes, I prefer slightly warmer temperatures in some of my tanks, too.

snakeblitz33

MX, because we keep marine and reef tanks, we can not simply say a certain temp range for most species. I say marine and reef because, as Bang Guy said, you should know your animals specific requirements (including temp) before buying. Because there is such a wide range, I encourage most hobbyists to look at an individual coral/fish/invert basis and relate it to their current setup.
By saying that you should keep your water temp somewhere between 74 to 84 your implying that you can keep a nautilus or moon jellies with red sea xenia in the same setup. I prefer not to say tropical because that is too-- generic and groupy.
(we're on the same page with the other two comments :D )

meowzer

OK, the room the tank is in seems to get hot in summer and cold in winter...BUT since I now have MH lights, and it is winter...the room is cooler at night but warmer when lights are on during the day...I need to purchase a good heater for my 225g Suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I think I should keep the water around 78-80,
when my lights are on I can acheive that, when they go off temp drops...that is why I was asking if 76 is ok...What I am gathering from the responses is that YES 76 is ok, BUT I need to keep the temp constant....Apparently I am having an issue doing that at the moment....I have a sub-par used heater that I would rather not use, so once again...suggestions would be greatly appreciated...OH YEAH...for a 225g I am guessing I need more than one heater???

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2887026
MX, because we keep marine and reef tanks, we can not simply say a certain temp range for most species. I say marine and reef because, as Bang Guy said, you should know your animals specific requirements (including temp) before buying. Because there is such a wide range, I encourage most hobbyists to look at an individual coral/fish/invert basis and relate it to their current setup.
Of course
By saying that you should keep your water temp somewhere between 74 to 84 your implying that you can keep a nautilus or moon jellies with red sea xenia in the same setup. I prefer not to say tropical because that is too-- generic and groupy.
74 to 84 was my generic temperature range for the average "tropical" reef tank and I will stand by that being a most effective range. Nautilus and moon jellies are NOT from tropical climates - exactly why I used the term in the first place. Either way, it's not worth fusing over the semantics of the thing, I was just trying to make my meaning clearer since it seemed like I might have been misunderstood.
(we're on the same page with the other two comments :D )
I think we're just saying the same things in a different way.

mx#28

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2887076
OK, the room the tank is in seems to get hot in summer and cold in winter...BUT since I now have MH lights, and it is winter...the room is cooler at night but warmer when lights are on during the day...I need to purchase a good heater for my 225g Suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I think I should keep the water around 78-80,
when my lights are on I can acheive that, when they go off temp drops...that is why I was asking if 76 is ok...What I am gathering from the responses is that YES 76 is ok, BUT I need to keep the temp constant....Apparently I am having an issue doing that at the moment....I have a sub-par used heater that I would rather not use, so once again...suggestions would be greatly appreciated...OH YEAH...for a 225g I am guessing I need more than one heater???
Yep, you're on the right track.
The biggest suggestion I have is to NOT buy a Finnex heater. I've had more trouble with those failing than you can imagine. Every 3-6 months, the heater or controller or both would go bad.

I've had two sets of 300W Jali heaters and controllers that seem to holding up, so you might go that direction. I haven't tried every heater out there, so there might be some better, but I'm certainly happier with these than the damn finnexes.
Two heaters is probably the best way to go so that you're sure you can keep that large volume of water warm, plus it's a fail-safe setup - if 1 heater dies, you still have a backup in operation.