Terror in Unicorn Fish

mr_vette2004

Yes you read it right. I have a 125 gallon tank that houses a 7-8" Unicorn Tank (Naso Unicornis) that has managed to completely terrorize and kill any new tankmate that I have tried to introduce. 6 months ago, I introduced a Navarchus Ange (3-4")l. After 3 weeks of quarantining, he lasted only overnight after introducing to main tank, with tail, fins, and eye missing along with body damage. Two months ago I decided to try a larger fish, an Orange Shoulder Wrasse (6-7"). The following morning, he was found with almost all of tail missing, body damage and side of mouth missing. Needless to say he did not survive even after quarantining again. Next, I went out ona limb to try something different, I bought a 6-7" Queen Angel. At the advise of lfs I began to quarintine. At the end of the 3 weeks, I sumped the Unicorn and introduced the Queen. Three weeks went by, and all was well. I completely moved all live rock and re-introduced the tang. Well.... The next morning queen has no tail, fins and massive body damage. After pulling to quarantine tank, it finally died. Other fish in tank are 3"maroon clown, 4" coral hog, 3" spotted hawk. All Fish have been together for 2 years with no problems. Never witnessed any attacks, but have noticed the unicorn ramming the new fish and shaking its tail up against the other less fortunate fish. I do have about 100 lbs of live rock in the tank all is aprox. 3 years old. Any and all support would be appriciated.

meowzer

OK....Just a simple question....Have you ever thought about getting a bigger tank....or getting rid of a fish that does not fit in the tank you have?
just asking

S

saxman

Your tank is definitely too small for any Naso sp.as well as most of the larger angelfish. You'll end up with territorial battles as well as "cabin fever" issues. I know a 125 sounds big, but it's pretty much a phone booth for big swimmers.

deejeff442

i had a 7 inch unicorn and a 7 inch hippo in my 250.i took them back to my supplier.they were way too big for my 250.cant imagine him in a 125

R

rcreations

If the fish is this much trouble, just sell it or trade it in to your LFS.

mr_vette2004

I appriciate everyone's replies. I now realize I did get in a little over my head with this fish. Mine was identical as the picture, but the horn was a little over half the size. It is now at the lfs. I now realize my limitation with a tank the size of mine. I do have a few more questions if you all could help. I'm still very fond of the Navarchus Angel. If I was to get a 3'' one, how long would my tank last before he out grew it, if nothing else was kept of compariable size. Second, What is the largest 8' tank that is avaliable? I only have 8' avaliable as far as wall space.