Testing and reefing

lecithin

So I am in the process of upgrading my lighting because i have decided to house some medium and low light corals. I understand all the levels that I should test except I have a few questions concerning dKH.
Do you have to buffer it to keep it high enough for corals? My kit measures Alk and I know the two relate but I'm not sure of the exact relationship. Anyone have any info or a link? Also, if you have to buffer for it how often does one have to do this?

lecithin

question two, what is a good salt to minimize buffing? and q three, I should aim for around 8-12 dkh correct? I will have various corals... not surely exactly yet. I want to get a few good started corals, any suggestions?

manycolors

Question about the chart above....... lets say your calcium is 360 does that mean everything else is 0 or is that what you want everything to be.. sorry its a dumb question and i think i know the answer but i just want to know for a fact.... thanks

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Lecithin
question two, what is a good salt to minimize buffing? and q three, I should aim for around 8-12 dkh correct? I will have various corals... not surely exactly yet. I want to get a few good started corals, any suggestions?
From fellow reefers and my own personal experience, Red Sea Pro and Tropic Marin seem to give the aquarist the better water levels to start with.
Yes, that is the dkH you want to shoot for.
As far as good "starter" corals, mushrooms and polyps are what I always recommend to people just getting into coral keeping. They are easy, will grow nicely, and give you a nice coral to look at while your coral has ample time to get established. After that, hammers, torches, and frogspawn are among the easier LPS corals once you have your calcium and alkalinity under control.

bang guy

Test before raising Alkalinity. If you consistently test at least once a week for Alk and Ca you will be able to figure out the consumption rate. Also chart how much you add (of whatever product).
For small tanks is is a good idea to keep it as constant as possible, meaning dose daily. For larger tanks once a week is usually fine. My Calcium and Alkalinity is automated so my ststem is dosed 24/7 to maintain steady levels.
I would never allow ALK to drop below 2.0Meq/L nor would I want Calcium below 350. I try to maintain 3.5Meq.L and 420ppm for calcium.
Don't "Buffer" your saltmix nor the water you are going to mix with salt to make saltwater. Test the tank and dose to the tank either directly or using topoff water.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Don't "Buffer" your saltmix nor the water you are going to mix with salt to make saltwater. Test the tank and dose to the tank either directly or using topoff water.
If you don't mind me asking, why is that, Guy?

bang guy

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
If you don't mind me asking, why is that, Guy?
Adding Carbonate to a saltmix that is still dissolving has a really good chance of precipitating both Calcium and Alkalinity making the saltwater even lower than it would have been had you not added the carbonate.
In other words it's just a waste of time.