Thank you for all the knowledge I have received here in this Forum :)

nissan577

what lights are you running?
your params?
equipment?
for sure we can help if you put some more info up!

but coming along super!

bluering09

I have 48" 250w Metal Helide by Coralife with 15k Bulbs
Two powerheads
1 Koralia 4
1 Koralia 2400
according to the test I did yesterday:
Nitrate 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Ph 8.1
Alk 8
Calcium 600
50g Sump
10H Rio return pump
Protein Skimmer
NAC 6

bluering09

I dose my tank with Reef Solution Minerals and Vitamins every other day and I use Oceanic salt.
I have been trying to keep the calcium down for months now with no luck.

bluering09

I only started dosing Reef Solution because my magn was low at the time. Plus the instructions in the bottle states that it won't affect calcium level.

gill again68

Well, your salt should have enough trace elements to keep things stable if you are doing frequent water changes. If there is nothing to consume the calcium then any additives that contribute to that will raise it. I would say something your adding is taking it up but thats just a guess. How is your coralline algae growth?
Corals are beautiful BTW.

bluering09

I actually have to much of the coralline algae growth. Its everywhere the back of the tank in front, its a pain trying to clean it. I will be doing water change later tonight and I will try to scrub all that of the back of the tank. Lets see if I can lower the calcium this time.

gill again68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluering09 http:///forum/thread/382069/thank-you-for-all-the-knowledge-i-have-received-here-in-this-forum#post_3333543
I actually have to much of the coralline algae growth. Its everywhere the back of the tank in front, its a pain trying to clean it. I will be doing water change later tonight and I will try to scrub all that of the back of the tank. Lets see if I can lower the calcium this time.
The coralline is a good thing. I leave all mine on the back of my tank. It does consume calcium so in your case I think it would be helping you lower your levels. The water change should help as well. Where do you get your water? RODI Unit, store? Have you ever tested you water prior to adding salt to see what the parameters are? Maybe you have a high levels in the water you use? Just some thoughts.

bluering09

I have my own RODI Unit and I also have a TDS meter to test the purity of the water, so far I can't get anything better than 59 ppm.

gill again68

Hmm. something seems wrong there. With the DI you should get to 0. How long have you had the unit? I have had mine running right at 1 year now and I still get 0. Oh and I have made a lot of water with that sucker. Mine was an Air Water and Ice model. Also I was thinking about the calcium level prior to adding salt. Have you ever tested that? Would be curious to what that level is.

bluering09

I have calibrated my TDS meter and it works fine. I have not tested the water for calcium before adding salt. I know that Oceanic Salt is high in calcium and that after a while alkalinity tends to drop. That is why I have seriously considered changing salts to Tropic Marin or Reef Crystals but I'm still doing my homework. It seems most of the salt out there are typically the same, with a few small variations so I don't know if it is work an extra $30-40.