thank you marineland

tangs rule

OK - but did the heater shatter? (sorry couldn,t resist - I hope this wasn't your setup)
I think there is a big recall on those "stealth" models - for exploding.
On a serious note though - we should all be careful with things that plug into the wall and saltwater tanks. Power-strips under/around salt tanks have a tendency to want to corrode plugs - create heat and eventually catch fire:
(this ain't the first one like this I've thrown out, it's about the 3rd in 10 years)

I've found most power-strips and all the plugs that plug into them need to be cleaned & inspected every year, after the 1st year of service. About once a year now days I have to take a wire brush and clean every plug that goes into a strip, and if any signs of overheating on the plug/strip appear (like above) throw the whole strip and buy new ones.
You don't have to dump water into a powerstrip to get this effect - it happens over months and things corrode where you cannot see them, and the corrosion causes resistance, which = heat.
Just like at the beach - the area around any saltwater tank is a salty environment, and some areas can even be directly exposed with salt creep/spray. This RAPIDLY accelerates the corrosion of the copper plugs both male & female ends, and all these things gotta be checked/cleaned about every year to 2 yr max.
Some plugs are better quality than others, as some are nickel plated (which is really corrosion resistant) while others are brass or copper (much less resistant). It's the brass & copper ones that I've had heating/arcing problems with over the years.

darwin

Yes this was mine put us in a hotel for 3 months and lost almost all personal belongings. ..... don't kno if the heater shattered or not but I do kno it caused it! The bottom of the tank gave out and put out the fire thankfully, but the _Fireman told me those surge protecters should be replaced often 2-3 years.

darwin

Their was a recall come to find out on these heaters, after the fact, saying they may cause fires!!!!!! If you have one of these heaters its worth it to look into the recalls better safe then sorry. Oh and they will replace the heater for a new one or give you back your $ with receipt. SHOVE IT!!!MARINELAND!!!

tangs rule

Wow - am sorry to hear this was your system, at least the whole house didn't burn down. I have a phobia now of house fires after seeing my late grandmothers house burn down after a lightning strike, and only a year ago, another home down the street totally burn down to the slab when a xmas tree caught fire when they were not home.
I hope you can rebuild the system, and repair the fire damage.

btldreef

I'd be getting a lawyer.
According to Marineland's website http://www.marineland.com/update.aspx The recall was not issued until April of this year. Your incident occurred before you were even aware that something like this could be an issue and you've suffered greatly for it.

J

jstdv8

most people on here already despise stealth heaters. Votes have been taken and the majority of folks voted for the Jeager or titanium heaters.
That being said, I've had one of my cheap little power supply strips light on fire right in front of me in my fish room which is always pretty moist. Now I use higher end strips and replace them when they start looking crappy, after about 1 year.

meowzer

This has been going on for months....there was and is still a large recall.....I sent all mine back and I had one burn out, but thank God no damage or fish loss.
SO sorry that happened to you.

darwin

Thanks everyone for your thoughts... just wanted to make everyone a little more aware of this junk product! Long story short, we got a new house and I've downsized to my lil 14gl Frogfish tank

B

bigtankbigfish

Wow, I was lucky then.
These heaters are terrible. I just returned 3 to petsmart today. I had a stealth 200w that shattered in my sump, I had a 200 watt stealth that was leaking voltage in the tank. You could literally feel it when you touched the heater in the water. I also had a 300 watt stealth PRO that just flat out stopped working after a month. My cousin told me about the recall so i went to ***** where I bought them, didnt have receipts. They called marineland and let me talk directly to marineland who offered to send me a shipping label so i could send all 3 to them and they would cut me a check for 90 bucks. I had paid roughly 140 for all of them. I said Ok, but then drove to petsmart where my cousin returned his. They straight up took all 3 right back and handed me 3 brand new 250 watt heaters of a different brand. I couldnt be happier.
That sucks for you though dude. Im sorry your house burned down over a damn fish tank heater. Im sure marineland is gonna pay you out big time, When my cousins heater broke in his turtle tank he lied and told them it shatttered his 500 dollar tank (that he got on craigslist for 50 bucks) and he said he bought meds for his turtle and they sent him a check for 600 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTankBigFish http:///forum/thread/386143/thank-you-marineland#post_3390566
That sucks for you though dude. Im sorry your house burned down over a damn fish tank heater. Im sure marineland is gonna pay you out big time, When my cousins heater broke in his turtle tank he lied and told them it shatttered his 500 dollar tank (that he got on craigslist for 50 bucks) and he said he bought meds for his turtle and they sent him a check for 600 bucks.
Not to bust your bubble or anything but dishonesty is a very big problem in the world today. I know 600 bucks is not a whole lot of money for a big company but if several people did that then it could very possibly cost someone a job in order to cut costs. It's a chain reaction effect.
Just thought I would put that into perspective

B

bigtankbigfish

And how many people at marineland lost their jobs over the 40 house fires they have caused? Who cares. When companies fail on this level and put lives at risk they have to pay up, see BP oil. Besides, Marineland was gonna reimburse me 30 dollars a piece for something they know sells for 50-60 in stores. They obviously dont care about what I spent so why should I care what they spend?

carlos413

sorry for what happened to you, I hope you can recover from that. I know is to late but for others reading this... I suggest getting a smoke detector and place it near your tank. I have mine on the wall directly behind my tank, Could save your house or apartment.